Great players that never won the all Ireland

Started by seafoid, January 12, 2016, 01:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on January 14, 2016, 09:50:18 PM
Ger Manley - Cork hurler in early to mid 90s.
Was part of a great minor team that won it all in 1985.Finally got his chance in 1992 – came on in the final as a sub and almost pulled it out of the fire v Kilkenny in a horrible final. Then Cork proceeded to run into the buzz-saw that was Clare for what seemed to carry on through that entire decade.  Aside from the double that commenced the decade, my memory of Cork hurling in the 1990s is the annual trip to Limerick for a Munster first round /semifinal defeat to Loughnane's men. Manley was there for each trip.  He was gone from the scene in 99 when they finally beat Clare and went on to lift the McCarthy Cup.  A great small pacey forward whose size proved his undoing as they Cork coming up against a strong physical and absolutely brilliant Clare team.

Jez, I'd never have said Ger Manly was small, thought he was a stocky but strong forward, but indeed a very good goal getter in what was lean times for Cork.

Hurling wise, Ciaran Carey was one lad who had it all, seat of the pants hurler who was probably as naturally gifted a hurler to play the game, but alas spunked his chance of lifting a celtic cross along with his Limerick team mates that fateful day against Offaly in 1994.

AZOffaly

Wexford 1996 was worse for them. They never performed at all the second day and allowed Wexford bully them.

Over the Bar

QuoteCiaran Whelan: Dublin
Jack Donnelly: Kildare
Dermot Early: Roscommon

Lol@ great player.  He wasn't even the best player in an average Dublin side.  The words "cart horse" spring to mind.

ONeill

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 15, 2016, 01:25:41 PM
Is there any great Kerry players who didn't manage to win an All Ireland medal?

From 86-97 there were bound to be fine players without a medal.

There was an All-Star in that period - Connie Murphy - but I can't remember him playing.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/kerry-holds-its-breath-as-cooper-bids-to-clean-up-26772920.html
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

Kevin Cassidy.
Nudie Hughes.
Aaron Kernan.
Colin Corkery.

Over the Bar

QuoteAaron Kernan.

Sorry I didn't realise this was now just a "players that never won an all-Ireland" thread!

BennyCake

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 17, 2016, 05:12:56 PM
QuoteAaron Kernan.

Sorry I didn't realise this was now just a "players that never won an all-Ireland" thread!

It's not. The title will tell you that.

Throw ball

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 17, 2016, 05:12:56 PM
QuoteAaron Kernan.

Anyone who does not rate Aaron Kernan as a great player obviously hasn't seen him play, is on the wind-up or doesn't like football.

Champion The Wonder Horse

A much better question would be great players who won neither the all Ireland nor an All-Star. Many of the best players from weaker counties eventually get recognised with an All-Star award.

Aaron Kernan and Fergal Doherty would be well up that list.

mouview

As surprisingly enough would be Michael Meehan.

Syferus

Gerry O'Malley. But he was before the All-Stars and did with the PotY.

tiempo

No suggestions on the Kerry angle, possible early 90s lads?

AZOffaly

Quote from: tiempo on January 18, 2016, 10:18:12 PM

No suggestions on the Kerry angle, possible early 90s lads?

Connie Murphy probably the best shout.