Started by seafoid, January 08, 2016, 07:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Wannabe belfasties around Lurgan/Portadown say mate
Most others say chief
Seemingly all of Tyrone says lad
Letterkenny I think say sham

AZOffaly

Unrelated, but fresh in my mind. The Tipperary habit of saying 'Byebyebyebyebyebyebyebye' when finishing a phone call. I'm just after giving an hour ringing around to coaches in the club, and to a man, they all hang up with this Byebyebyebyebyebyebye thing. It cracks me up. The worst I've heard before is like 'OK so grand, good luck, bye, bye, bye'. Down here the byebyebye can be longer than the call :)

general_lee

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 08, 2016, 12:18:12 PM
Unrelated, but fresh in my mind. The Tipperary habit of saying 'Byebyebyebyebyebyebyebye' when finishing a phone call. I'm just after giving an hour ringing around to coaches in the club, and to a man, they all hang up with this Byebyebyebyebyebyebye thing. It cracks me up. The worst I've heard before is like 'OK so grand, good luck, bye, bye, bye'. Down here the byebyebye can be longer than the call :)
Rightyebebye is the no-nonsense offering up here in nordie land

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 08, 2016, 12:18:12 PM
That's a nationwide thing I would have thought?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

I've never heard it as bad as the Tipp lads. Up home it would be two or three byes.

brokencrossbar1

Tony Baloney

magpie seanie

magpie seanie

We also have the term "mink" or "minker" in Sligo. Never heard it elsewhere. Not complimentary!

AZOffaly

Lala in Limerick. The La is pronounced as in Lab, as opposed to Law

Tony Baloney

McCooey's love to talk about culchies as a derogative term.

mouview

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 08, 2016, 01:50:00 PM
We also have the term "mink" or "minker" in Sligo. Never heard it elsewhere. Not complimentary!

Thought that term originated in Tuam, cradle of alt. language for the archdiocese and indeed all of Connacht .

WT4E

Just thought I'd revive this one:

East Tyrone down by the loughshore:

Kid
'alright kid' when saying hello to another male

guy crouchback

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 08, 2016, 01:50:00 PM
mink would be a real ballina one as well mink (sc**bag), never heard minker just mink we also have  buer (female), fiend (male fool,ass) i think both of these would be general west coast traveler words as far as i recall  the writer kevin barry used them in ''the city of  Bohane'. wha hu (hello) i have only ever heard in ballina