French Alps

Started by JimStynes, January 03, 2016, 09:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: JimStynes on July 16, 2016, 12:23:50 PM
Not yet! But might go next week when it is closer to where I am. We have been based in Morzine and now I'm meeting my wife and heading to Annecy, Chamonix and then Evian. Morzine is absolutely stunning. We cycled up the Col du Joux Plane this morning and had the best view. Mt Blanc in the background. Ive never seen anything like it. Cycling heaven.
I am so jealous. Where did you stay in Morzine?

Nigel White

Stayed in Grenoble last year for a few days. Really loved the French Alps, however I've just been in the Austrian Alps and they're something else. Salzburg, Mayrhofen and Kitzbuhel. We're not skiers so it's only way we'll be here. Scenery unreal, weather mixed. Just arrived in Bavarian Alps now, weather improving and scenery still unreal. Don't know f any of the pubs will be showing the Ulster Final though!

illdecide

Quote from: Rois on July 16, 2016, 07:56:23 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on July 16, 2016, 12:23:50 PM
Not yet! But might go next week when it is closer to where I am. We have been based in Morzine and now I'm meeting my wife and heading to Annecy, Chamonix and then Evian. Morzine is absolutely stunning. We cycled up the Col du Joux Plane this morning and had the best view. Mt Blanc in the background. Ive never seen anything like it. Cycling heaven.
I am so jealous. Where did you stay in Morzine?

Hi Rois, we stayed in a chalet between Morzine and Montriond. Across the bridge in town and a 8-10min walk out of town, a bit quiet at night but i suppose we weren't there for the nightlife (although we did paint the town red on our first night). As Jim Stynes said the scenery was amazing up the climbs looking down on the towns and villages. Def one of the better holidays I've had even if i had to share a room with Jim Stynes
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

The Gs Man

Did he lick your ear?

He has a habit of doing that.
Keep 'er lit

illdecide

Quote from: The Gs Man on July 18, 2016, 11:02:09 AM
Did he lick your ear?

what happens in France stays in France ;)

Rois

Quote from: illdecide on July 18, 2016, 10:05:59 AM
Hi Rois, we stayed in a chalet between Morzine and Montriond. Across the bridge in town and a 8-10min walk out of town, a bit quiet at night but i suppose we weren't there for the nightlife (although we did paint the town red on our first night). As Jim Stynes said the scenery was amazing up the climbs looking down on the towns and villages. Def one of the better holidays I've had even if i had to share a room with Jim Stynes
I've stayed out in Montriond quite a few times, the walk is flat so it never bothered me.  I stayed in town last winter beside the Super Morzine bubble and it was too noisy!
Did you hit the Haka Bar or Tibetan Café??

illdecide

Quote from: Rois on July 18, 2016, 12:59:27 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 18, 2016, 10:05:59 AM
I've stayed out in Montriond quite a few times, the walk is flat so it never bothered me.  I stayed in town last winter beside the Super Morzine bubble and it was too noisy!
Did you hit the Haka Bar or Tibetan Café??

Were u watching us...lol. We were in both those and it ended bad in Tibetan when the double Morgans kicked in. Got home drunk that night and the cycle the next day was not pleasant.

JimStynes

In Annecy at the minute! Such a lovely city and the weather is unreal.  I can't understand why more people don't go this direction. Direct flight from Dublin and the likes of Annecy is only 45mins away!

Heading to Chamonix on Wednesday morning.

Rois

Quote from: JimStynes on July 18, 2016, 04:27:06 PM
In Annecy at the minute! Such a lovely city and the weather is unreal.  I can't understand why more people don't go this direction. Direct flight from Dublin and the likes of Annecy is only 45mins away!

If you're looking for somewhere nice for a rosemantic meal in Chamonix, look up the Cap Horn.  I'm slightly biased because we had our wedding reception there, but even if you don't eat there, you should go into the Caves or wine cellar bar down below for a drink, it's really cool. 
Annecy is the nicest town I've ever visited.  Something for everyone. 

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Rois on July 18, 2016, 04:58:14 PM

If you're looking for somewhere nice for a rosemantic meal in Chamonix, look up the Cap Horn.  I'm slightly biased because we had our wedding reception there, but even if you don't eat there, you should go into the Caves or wine cellar bar down below for a drink, it's really cool. 

This is the time that I chime in and remind everyone that Annecy is where I proposed to the Lucky Lady  ;D

Rois

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 18, 2016, 06:34:25 PM
Quote from: Rois on July 18, 2016, 04:58:14 PM

This is the time that I chime in and remind everyone that Annecy is where I proposed to the Lucky Lady  ;D
Good choice!

JimStynes

Quote from: The Gs Man on July 18, 2016, 11:02:09 AM
Did he lick your ear?

Blackie! I'll pull the head off you  ;)

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

illdecide

Have u two a bit of history that i don't know about...I'm sure Lynch wasn't too far away from your antics either ;)

The Gs Man

He likes to lick people's ears when he has a drop of drink in him.
Keep 'er lit