French Alps

Started by JimStynes, January 03, 2016, 09:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Oh, we stayed at the Mont Blanc hotel on our wedding night in Chamonix - www.hotelmontblancchamonix.com - if money was no object...

seafoid

Is Chamonix not cloudy or dark or something in the summer compared to other mountainy resorts ?

The Gs Man

Quote from: Rois on January 04, 2016, 10:40:26 PM
Oh, we stayed at the Mont Blanc hotel on our wedding night in Chamonix - www.hotelmontblancchamonix.com - if money was no object...

JimStynes still has his Communion money.
Keep 'er lit

illdecide

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 05, 2016, 08:37:47 AM

I can confirm that is true
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

seafoid

Switzerland will be at least twice the cost per day of France. The contrast between the French shore of Lake Geneva and the Swiss shore is striking. Same lake but different worlds.

The French side is back arse of beyond, 700k from Paris, very sparsely populated, Leitrim with mountains(which come right down to the lake), modest, small farms., few jobs The lakeside road on this side is narrow and goes through failing villages. A house here might go for 200K. People super friendly and relaxed.

The Swiss side is rich farmland, big farms, densely populated, economically significant , loads of jobs and the lakeside road is a motorway. Houses start at 1 million. More like southeast England. People more stressed, less open

JimStynes

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 05, 2016, 08:37:47 AM

Communion money is gone! Into the confirmation money now ffs.

illdecide

Just checked that hotel out...looks amazing but the cheapest room in the hotel for July was £1000 for 3 nights (no breakfast). £2100 if u want breakfast and the spa and health suite included...WTF.

Rois

My sis in law stayed in that hotel for 3 nights when she came to our wedding and treated us to the night in the hotel - she's from Lurgan too, maybe you're all big spenders down there.  Pity it didn't rub off on Mr Rois!

You can't get away from the fact that Switzerland is expensive but you're not going to be there for 10 days, you'll just be dropping in, and you can do things to make it cheaper - sandwiches by the lake for lunch, grab something at the food stalls at the Jazz Festival in the evening etc.     

seafoid

I was in Thonon les bains yesterday, down the road from Evian. Beautiful town, elegant location, very reasonable prices, nice restaurants, wipes the floor with Switzerland imo

http://www.booking.com/city/fr/thonon-les-bains.fr.html

redzone

What sort a money did the cycle part cost roughly. Would a Grand cover it.That holiday looks class

illdecide

Quote from: redzone on January 16, 2016, 04:10:30 PM
What sort a money did the cycle part cost roughly. Would a Grand cover it.That holiday looks class

Aer Lingus flights out of Dublin into Geneva were £150 or €200 and accommodation was £350 (i think) and that is food included as well as transfer to airport...I wouldn't imagine you'd need much spending money there as you'll be cycling most of the time

JimStynes

Still no accommodation booked, need to get my ass in gear. Think I am going to put another night in Chamonix and take a night out of Montreux.

Rois

We stayed in this place for skiing, rented the full place out but it is a B&B hostel in summer: chamonix lodge.com It is called Mountain Highs in winter.
Ten or fifteen min flat walk from town centre. Not fancy but decent and well priced. Owned by an English guy.

redzone

Well men did Yous get to see any of the tour

JimStynes

Not yet! But might go next week when it is closer to where I am. We have been based in Morzine and now I'm meeting my wife and heading to Annecy, Chamonix and then Evian. Morzine is absolutely stunning. We cycled up the Col du Joux Plane this morning and had the best view. Mt Blanc in the background. Ive never seen anything like it. Cycling heaven.