Rory O'Carroll for New Zealand

Started by The Hill is Blue, January 03, 2016, 04:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on January 05, 2016, 04:56:11 AM
Enjoy the good days.  They are special.

I wonder would I forget the bad days if Waterford ever experienced a glut of the good days. The really good days, I mean. We've had some good days in recent years and the memory of the bad days - the really bad days - means I got immense pleasure out of all of them. Looking at some of the Dubs on here and how a couple of All-Ireland wins have led to Burdock's-style chips on the collective shoulder, you'd wonder whether it is worth it. I'm sure it is, and I wouldn't mind putting myself to the test to see whether it would change things. But I had to think about it.

tonto1888

Quote from: heffo on January 05, 2016, 10:54:40 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 05, 2016, 08:12:40 AM
Quote from: heffo on January 04, 2016, 09:25:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 04, 2016, 08:56:38 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on January 04, 2016, 08:09:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 04, 2016, 06:17:56 PM
Quote from: mouview on January 04, 2016, 04:26:25 PM
Is he going out milking cows?
He is going to develop a special haka for the dubs

the knacka haka with special eye gouging

Did it take you long to think that one up?
it should have stayed on the pitch. I give it everything. He didn't mind

Unfortunately with the Northern hordes brief window of success came a win at all costs mentality and a realisation that Football at the top level isn't played by choir boys (see the multiple concussions received by O'Carroll - one of the reasons he's taking the year out).

As Galway haven't won a game of significance in this time, you wouldn't know about that though.

Ni uasal agus iseal ach thuas seal agus thios seal, Heffo. Sure don't we have videos of the late 90s to remind us. I wouldn't want to be winning all the time. ;)

Meath will presumably rise from its slumber at some stage. Must have been a bad trip.

Re the gouging I thought it was a blight on the final myself. I hope it doesn't become a feature. 
The media management afterwards was disturbing . Gaelic football is in a bit of a hole.

It is exciting to see O Carroll taking a year off. I wish more players would do it. There is more to life than shnow and hailshtones, so to speak.

Well, Jamie Clarke is not turning out for Armagh this year

McGeeney didn't seem too pleased

He didn't. Not surprising tho

illdecide

There must be a team recruiting out there as the Derrytresk (Tyrone) goalkeeper is getting flew out there in a few weeks time too...Jasus him and Rory will have some craic and banter there.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

heffo

Quote from: illdecide on January 05, 2016, 02:24:53 PM
There must be a team recruiting out there as the Derrytresk (Tyrone) goalkeeper is getting flew out there in a few weeks time too...Jasus him and Rory will have some craic and banter there.

I can't imagine they'd have anything in common.

illdecide

Quote from: heffo on January 05, 2016, 02:49:00 PM

2 class GAA players and both love a pint...there's a start.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: deiseach on January 05, 2016, 11:34:09 AM
Looking at some of the Dubs on here and how a couple of All-Ireland wins have led to Burdock's-style chips on the collective shoulder, you'd wonder whether it is worth it.
That's what winning does to you! You can't have it on it's own without the megalomania. It makes you go around demanding proper deference and has you compulsively chastise people who aren't giving enough of it.
I'd liken it to that time Sir Anthony O'Reilly insisted the news reporter address him by his new noble title, or when Bishop Brennan demanded that Dougal "address me by my proper title, you little bollocks".

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: illdecide on January 05, 2016, 03:06:09 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 05, 2016, 02:49:00 PM

2 class GAA players and both love a pint...there's a start.

Only thing ever came outa Derrytresk was good pints and handbags... at least thon goalkeeper might get a good send off and a good bag for his travels.
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 05, 2016, 03:58:59 PM
Looking at some of the Dubs on here and how a couple of All-Ireland wins have led to Burdock's-style chips on the collective shoulder, you'd wonder whether it is worth it.
That's what winning does to you! You can't have it on it's own without the megalomania. It makes you go around demanding proper deference and has you compulsively chastise people who aren't giving enough of it.
I'd liken it to that time Sir Anthony O'Reilly insisted the news reporter address him by his new noble title, or when Bishop Brennan demanded that Dougal "address me by my proper title, you little bollocks".

Tell me we were never like that!

It does remind me of the apocryphal story (though doubtless grounded in reality) of the Limerick barman who told a Clare fan in December 1995 "Congratulations, it took ye 3 months to do what it took Tipperary 80 years - Make the whole country hate ye ".

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 05, 2016, 04:02:56 PM
It does remind me of the apocryphal story (though doubtless grounded in reality) of the Limerick barman who told a Clare fan in December 1995 "Congratulations, it took ye 3 months to do what it took Tipperary 80 years - Make the whole country hate ye ".

Shure the Limerick lads were leaving Croke Park early the year before against Offaly to beat the traffic.

AZOffaly

They actually were. I was on the Hill that day, (with Muck Savage) and some of the Limerick lads had left. I don't know why, it was bizarre. You'd think they'd want to see it being lifted after 21 years (at that stage!)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: heffo on January 04, 2016, 09:25:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 04, 2016, 08:56:38 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on January 04, 2016, 08:09:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 04, 2016, 06:17:56 PM
Quote from: mouview on January 04, 2016, 04:26:25 PM
Is he going out milking cows?
He is going to develop a special haka for the dubs

the knacka haka with special eye gouging

Did it take you long to think that one up?
it should have stayed on the pitch. I give it everything. He didn't mind

Unfortunately with the Northern hordes brief window of success came a win at all costs mentality and a realisation that Football at the top level isn't played by choir boys (see the multiple concussions received by O'Carroll - one of the reasons he's taking the year out).

As Galway haven't won a game of significance in this time, you wouldn't know about that though.

Ni uasal agus iseal ach thuas seal agus thios seal, Heffo. Sure don't we have videos of the late 90s to remind us. I wouldn't want to be winning all the time. ;)

Meath will presumably rise from its slumber at some stage. Must have been a bad trip.

Re the gouging I thought it was a blight on the final myself. I hope it doesn't become a feature. 
The media management afterwards was disturbing . Gaelic football is in a bit of a hole.

It is exciting to see O Carroll taking a year off. I wish more players would do it. There is more to life than shnow and hailshtones, so to speak.

Not conclusive but looks like we didn't even get past the first weekend of the year.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ashman

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 05, 2016, 04:11:37 PM
They actually were. I was on the Hill that day, (with Muck Savage) and some of the Limerick lads had left. I don't know why, it was bizarre. You'd think they'd want to see it being lifted after 21 years (at that stage!)

A few left with 5 to go that day ok.  LK and Faithful folk  .  A story of a few lads got a quick cad from Jones Road to Eamon Reas in Parkgate Street and listened to last 5 on radio.

To be honest I rarely stay for presentations bar my own club really.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ashman on January 06, 2016, 12:53:27 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 05, 2016, 04:11:37 PM

A few left with 5 to go that day ok.  LK and Faithful folk  .  A story of a few lads got a quick cad from Jones Road to Eamon Reas in Parkgate Street and listened to last 5 on radio.

To be honest I rarely stay for presentations bar my own club really.

I know what you're saying, but Jaysus, the famine down in Limerick is painful. You'd have to think you'd want to see the cup lifted after that sort of wait.

Hound

I wonder would I forget the bad days if Waterford ever experienced a glut of the good days. The really good days, I mean. We've had some good days in recent years and the memory of the bad days - the really bad days - means I got immense pleasure out of all of them. Looking at some of the Dubs on here and how a couple of All-Ireland wins have led to Burdock's-style chips on the collective shoulder, you'd wonder whether it is worth it. I'm sure it is, and I wouldn't mind putting myself to the test to see whether it would change things. But I had to think about it.
It's certainly worth it!
There's no self awareness of the collective chip on the shoulder syndrome you mention. At least for me anyway!

deiseach

Quote from: Hound on January 06, 2016, 12:00:03 PM
There's no self awareness of the collective chip on the shoulder syndrome you mention. At least for me anyway!

Are you saying you don't have it or you are not aware of having it? ;)