Indentured slaves?

Started by blewuporstuffed, December 23, 2015, 10:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

When I was doing a bit of competitive cycling in Ireland, here's what a typical week looked like for me:

Weekdays:
Morning, lay the cycling gear out on the bed before you head for work
4:00pm, Grab a carb-heavy snack while still at work.*
5:30pm, Jump into the cycling gear that you laid out this morning
5:45, Hit the road and get about 30 to 45 miles in. On a Wednesday night it's the local club road race or a 'Ten'. Rain or shine.
8:45, Shower or bath depending on how sore the legs are
9:15, Dinner, usually a plate of pasta
10:30, Hit the bed

* If there's an open race that night and it's too far away to ride to it on time, negotiate to leave work early so you can meet teammates and take the bike in their car.

Saturdays:
If it's a two-day open race then it's an early start. Get bike onto the team car and hit the road. If there's no race that weekend then get 50-60 miles in, over the Spelga Pass if you're feeling adventurous, it's the biggest hill within striking distance of Lurgan. Saturday evening, clean the bike and do any maintenance.

Sundays:
Get some bananas or sandwiches in your pockets, hit the road at 9:00.  Meet the clubs in the middle of town for the Sunday morning group ride. Speeds are slow at the start (on account of the oul fellas in the group) but the younger riders break away and pick up the pace about halfway through. 30-MPH signs coming into the towns are the finishing posts for any sprints. Distances range from 60 to 80 miles. Usually get home about 1:00 or 2:00.

Train on a three-week cycle. Two weeks on, one week "off."  "Off" doesn't mean sitting in the house, it means still getting out on the road but just taking it easier than usual.

Diet: Avoid junk food, keep the sweet stuff to a weekend treat, have a good balanced diet and make sure you get plenty of carbs in the fuel the engine. Little or no alcohol.

I don't know how that compares to a serious GAA player but there it is.

The point I'm making here is that these are among some of my best memories of life in Ireland. The camaraderie with the lads in the club, racing against them in the club races and racing with them in the open races, learning from the more experienced riders, helping the newcomers, spending weekends away at races, lying in B&Bs, doing the Maracycle... deadly crack.

Marathon runners, triathletes, swimmers, and all manner of athletically minded people can tell you similar. Nobody puts a gun to your head and makes you do it, you do it because you enjoy it. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. 

Syferus

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 24, 2015, 08:27:37 PM
When I was doing a bit of competitive cycling in Ireland, here's what a typical week looked like for me:

Weekdays:
5:45, Hit the road and get about 30 to 45 miles in. On a Wednesday night it's the local club road race or a 'Ten'. Rain or shine.

* If there's an open race that night and it's too far away to ride to it on time, negotiate to leave work early so you can meet teammates and take the bike in their car.

Saturdays:
If it's a two-day open race then it's an early start. Get bike onto the team car and hit the road. If there's no race that weekend then get 50-60 miles in, over the Spelga Pass if you're feeling adventurous, it's the biggest hill within striking distance of Lurgan. Saturday evening, clean the bike and do any maintenance.

Sundays:
Get some bananas or sandwiches in your pockets, hit the road at 9:00.  Meet the clubs in the middle of town for the Sunday morning group ride. Speeds are slow at the start (on account of the oul fellas in the group) but the younger riders break away and pick up the pace about halfway through. 30-MPH signs coming into the towns are the finishing posts for any sprints. Distances range from 60 to 80 miles. Usually get home about 1:00 or 2:00.

Train on a three-week cycle. Two weeks on, one week "off."  "Off" doesn't mean sitting in the house, it means still getting out on the road but just taking it easier than usual.

Diet: Avoid junk food, keep the sweet stuff to a weekend treat, have a good balanced diet and make sure you get plenty of carbs in the fuel the engine. Little or no alcohol.

The point I'm making here is that these are among some of my best memories of life in Ireland. The camaraderie with the lads in the club, racing against them in the club races and racing with them in the open races, learning from the more experienced riders, helping the newcomers, spending weekends away at races, lying in B&Bs, doing the Maracycle... deadly crack.

Marathon runners, triathletes, swimmers, and all manner of athletically minded people can tell you similar. Nobody puts a gun to your head and makes you do it, you do it because you enjoy it. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

So after-care of players and scheduling and training regimes shouldn't be looked at? For IC players and serious club teams they're way out of hand for an amateur sport. Players can't be trusted to look after their own welfare ("it's all about the team", peer pressure, management pressure, supporter pressure, their own reckless drive) so a cooler head needs to decide what is best for the GAA and players collectively.

It happens in all major sports - the GAA is a cowboy outfit by comparison at the moment. It's simply untenable. Something will give.

INDIANA

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 24, 2015, 08:27:37 PM

Weekdays:

Saturdays:

Sundays:

Cycling in fairness is not comparable to contact sports

Eamonnca1

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2015, 09:45:36 PM

Even in terms of the time commitment? I felt like every waking hour outside of work was spent doing something cycling-related.

imtommygunn

Cycling is borderline worse as it takes more time to get the endurance value of it.

Triathlon even at a very low level borderline as demanding on time as a county career i would say.

INDIANA

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 24, 2015, 10:05:22 PM

Even in terms of the time commitment? I felt like every waking hour outside of work was spent doing something cycling-related.

Yes but not in terms of injury count, recovery, pressure of playing in front of 82,000. The emotional and physical strain for inter county players are a lot greater.

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2015, 11:26:31 PM

Yes but not in terms of injury count, recovery, pressure of playing in front of 82,000. The emotional and physical strain for inter county players are a lot greater.
Indentured slaves wouldn't get as much spent on them as Dublin footballers either

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on December 25, 2015, 12:40:17 AM

Indentured slaves wouldn't get as much spent on them as Dublin footballers either

Train smart and be winners. We can send you out the manual if you like

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on December 25, 2015, 08:55:07 AM

ni uasal agus iseal ach thuas seal agus thios seal. Ask Charlie Redmond

Cunny Funt

3 All Ireland's won in the last 5 years before then 1978 to 2010 Dublin won Sam twice. Some turn around with smart training, should certainly pass that manual around...

INDIANA

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 25, 2015, 08:01:48 PM

3 All Ireland's won in the last 5 years before then 1978 to 2010 Dublin won Sam twice. Some turn around with smart training, should certainly pass that manual around...

Hard work , organisation, talent and a return to the true values that made our county great in the 70's . Humility and a re-connection with the Dublin GAA Community. No celebrating when we beat someone we expect to beat. All-Irelands are expected and our players are expected to deliver. If they can't deliver on that- they are discarded and we bring in players with the mentality to get the job done in front of big crowds.

We are driven by 1995-2011- it will never happen again.  You can take the money away from us we don't care. You can't take our culture away. Culture creates dynasties not money. Crossmaglen are living proof of that.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on December 25, 2015, 08:08:10 PM

Hard work , organisation, talent and a return to the true values that made our county great in the 70's . Humility and a re-connection with the Dublin GAA Community. No celebrating when we beat someone we expect to beat. All-Irelands are expected and our players are expected to deliver. If they can't deliver on that- they are discarded and we bring in players with the mentality to get the job done in front of big crowds.

We are driven by 1995-2011- it will never happen again.  You can take the money away from us we don't care. You can't take our culture away. Culture creates dynasties not money. Crossmaglen are living proof of that.

Crossmaglen have hardly been going cap in hand anywhere. Money greases every major success and you know it very well. I don't know how many people even bother taking you seriously when you get on this tact anymore.

Captain Obvious

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on December 25, 2015, 08:48:12 PM

Crossmaglen have hardly been going cap in hand anywhere. Money greases every major success and you know it very well. I don't know how many people even bother taking you seriously when you get on this tact anymore.

Do you think anyone takes you seriously at all here?

The Hastings Cup is about to start Syferus. If you ever decide to join the grown ups let us know.

But i doubt it will be anytime soon.

seafoid

We are driven by 1995-2011- it will never happen again

Or course it will. Cork hurlers 2005 to present. Kerry 1986 to 96?
tipp 1970 to 89 . Happens to everyone.