Would you vote for a United Ireland ?

Started by seafoid, November 26, 2015, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you vote for a United Ireland ? If so, why?

Yes
73 (77.7%)
No
12 (12.8%)
Not sure
9 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Kidder81

Can we get DLA in this new United Ireland?

T Fearon

Depends on a vision set out about what a United Ireland might look like.If it was just an extension of the status quo in the 26 counties,no

Rossfan

It won't be an extension of the 26 Cos.
What exactly do you object to if it was? Higher pensions? Better Social welfare payments? Lower property taxes? Hard shoulders on themain roads? Bilingual road signs? Unarmed police force?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

A free Sunday world for everyone, a packet of taytos. Your choice of buckfast or sauvignon blanc, a proper fry. The greatest hits of jimmy magee or Fullerton. And coronation st and man utd.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on November 26, 2015, 10:58:22 PM
Depends on a vision set out about what a United Ireland might look like.If it was just an extension of the status quo in the 26 counties,no
The sq in the 26 is not coherent  and can only be improved.

general_lee

I'd vote for a UI in the morning. Without hesitation.

T Fearon

There will always be hesitation,in every society.

I don't see how a United Ireland,in thrall to Germany and Britain (as the 26 counties currently is),and where the rich are favoured (Low corporation tax etc) and the British Queen is revered,and secularism is rife,is in any way appealing.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2015, 11:53:23 PM
A free Sunday world for everyone, a packet of taytos. Your choice of buckfast or sauvignon blanc, a proper fry. The greatest hits of jimmy magee or Fullerton. And coronation st and man utd.

Will that be Provisional Tayto or Continuity Tayto?

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on November 27, 2015, 07:00:55 AM
I don't see how a United Ireland,in thrall to Germany and Britain (as the 26 counties currently is),and where the rich are favoured (Low corporation tax etc) and the British Queen is revered,and secularism is rife,is in any way appealing.

Yeah right, like the Queen worship, favouring the rich and secularism isn't much worse in the UK.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JPGJOHNNYG

I know most nationalist politicians seem to struggle to argue reasons why it should happen but part of the problem is they dont know what form a United Ireland will take. The nationalist parties and southern parties need to team up get a long term plan and start singing from the same hymn sheet but too many gombeens will likely just try to stick the boot into SF at every opportunity.
Meanwhile Unionism sits back and keeps telling us that the staying in the UK is great because we get 10 billion a year from London oh and the NHS is great and that is it.
Firstly nobody knows how much we get because taxation from the big companies isnt actually separated out for Northern Ireland. Secondly part of the problem with the UK is that many areas not just Northern Ireland but Wales, North East and other regions are just left to rot as all the money gets ploughed into the south east but we seem happier to live on handouts rather than given a fair crack at things.
AS for the NHS its over bloated and at breaking point and the current government are starting to realise that you just cant keep throwing money into the bottomless pit. I would expect a very basic NHS in 20 yrs time with most people opting for private health insurance as added cover.
People keep making the economic argument to be a big deal but little will change Unionsits try to make out that we are deciding between Germany or Greece when the reality is UK and ROI are much of a muchness. I think nationalists who are not keen on a UI are comfortable with life at the moment, frightened of change, frightened of a return to violence, frightened of direct effects on jobs (espcially public service) etc etc.
Nothing is likely to happen soon going on all the polls but a Brexit or Scottish independence may change all that very quickly.

deiseach

The next time OWCers claim that the GAA is a cold house for Unionism, we'll have someone to direct them to for testimony on how Unionism and the GAA are perfectly compatible. They probably already have his address!

Keyboard Warrior

Vote for UI without hesitation. Ireland is a better country to live in than the UK when it's all said and done.

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on November 27, 2015, 07:00:55 AMd where the rich are favoured (Low corporation tax etc) and the British Queen is revered,and secularism is rife,is in any way appealing.
A good description of the 6 Cos in 18 months time.
I'd advise you to seek residency in the Vatican if you can't live in a Secular society.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haranguerer

Quote from: general_lee on November 27, 2015, 12:44:13 AM
I'd vote for a UI in the morning. Without hesitation.

Why hesitate? I'd vote for it right now...  :P