Schoolgirl can opt out of religion but must remain in class

Started by muppet, November 25, 2015, 12:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1123/748507-schools-religion/

...The student will not be required to study religion, but she will have to remain in the classroom while the subject is being taught.....

...The school confirmed that Mr Drury had been told his daughter could not opt out of religion....

....All ETB schools are obliged to teach religion. This was a stipulation that the Catholic church made to the State during the development of the then-VEC school system.....
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Wait for it from Tony...further evidence that Christians are the most discriminated against people on the planet!

finbar o tool

not a great country for moving with the times!
it was the same when i was in school 15 years ago!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

foxcommander

Earlier, the girl's father, Paul Drury, told RTÉ News that neither he nor his daughter were religious and that his daughter did not want to study the subject.

Mr Drury, who is from the UK, has welcomed the decision.

hmmmmmm....

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

AZOffaly

hmmmmm what?

I think this is a sensible enough conclusion any way. The girl doesn't have to participate, she can work away studying whatever, but the school can still care for her as she is physically sitting in the classroom.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 25, 2015, 03:09:21 PM
hmmmmm what?

I think this is a sensible enough conclusion any way. The girl doesn't have to participate, she can work away studying whatever, but the school can still care for her as she is physically sitting in the classroom.

I am guessing, as it is run by the ETB (formerly the VEC), that it is a secondary school?

Do schools allow children (who are teenagers obviously) to sit in a study hall nowadays during a class period? We certainly did it at times. Or has that all changed?

Regarding the story, the issue seems to have been that the school insisted she did religion. After the row, they rowed back to the new more sensible position.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on November 25, 2015, 03:16:53 PM
hmmmmm what?

I am guessing, as it is run by the ETB (formerly the VEC), that it is a secondary school?

Do schools allow children (who are teenagers obviously) to sit in a study hall nowadays during a class period? We certainly did it at times. Or has that all changed?

Regarding the story, the issue seems to have been that the school insisted she did religion. After the row, they rowed back to the new more sensible position.

Dunno. We used to have to sit in other classes if a teacher was sick or whatever. I remember because I climbed out the window to play football when I was supposed to be sitting in a German class or something because the French teacher was out.

And I remember we had an English girl who didn't do Irish, but she still sat in the class doing homework as the rest of us read Peig.

Her name was Honey, now that I think of it. I shit you not.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 25, 2015, 03:19:39 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 25, 2015, 03:16:53 PM
hmmmmm what?

Dunno. We used to have to sit in other classes if a teacher was sick or whatever. I remember because I climbed out the window to play football when I was supposed to be sitting in a German class or something because the French teacher was out.

And I remember we had an English girl who didn't do Irish, but she still sat in the class doing homework as the rest of us read Peig.

Her name was Honey, now that I think of it. I shit you not.

What was her surname?

Pott?
Bunn??
Bush???

MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

omaghjoe