All Ireland day

Started by giveballaghback, November 09, 2015, 11:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: heffo on November 10, 2015, 12:35:27 PM
Quote from: Bingo on November 10, 2015, 12:21:29 PM
The one thing that struck me was the indifference, back chat and general lack of respect for the ref and his decisions. Can't blame the ref for trying to inform the players but this was met with very little respect from the players.

Hardly a new development:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/paul-finlay-the-dra-and-the-royal-british-bank-v-turquand-ruling-of-1856-26463990.html

Paul Finlay to ref - "you blew me for a f***ing pick off the ground. I didn't pick the f***ing ball off the ground, you f***ing tr**p.""

Totally the case, but I guess you trying to throw something back at me using a Monaghan, so fire away with more if you like.

What I took from last night was that the ref was trying to explain his reasoning and looking to engage players. I'm sure that this happens at all levels but this gets the ref nowhere. You always get comments from commentators on games, players, managers etc when discussing refs that they want explanations from refs, and then they reference rugby refs and how they explain stuff to players and get respect for doing so. Well if last night showed up anything, its that they will try this and even at the very top levels players don't pay any remarks to this.

Any i'll give you another example we had a championship match this year and I was along the line. Within 5 mins, the ref moved two frees we conceded up, both where kickable but also missable. Now they where nailed on. I was beside one of our selectors and he blew the head with the ref and called him a number of choice words. I put him firmly in his place and told that the ref wasn't at fault if our players where stupid enough to give him the opportunity to move the ball up. As this was happening, two of our players on the pitch had the cop on to let the offender know that he was a bollix. Its a real bug bear of mine.

Nihilist

People have complained for years about soccer but in fairness UEFA has hardened up and cleaned up its act big time. None of these type of exchanges with the ref are allowed anymore. If they happen and bad language or threatening behavior is used the ref issues the proper card or sends off the culprit from the field. Plus he can have the manager removed off as well.

If parents are on the sideline giving bad language to the ref or players (especially in front of minors) the ref has the power to stop the game and force the respective management team to deal with offenders or the match could be abandoned and the offending team faces a hefty fine and possible/probable elimination from the competition.

Its high time the GAA brought in proper enforcement to protect refs, linesmen, umpires children and players. Right now it's only getting worse as was depicted again in the Kerry County final at the weekend.

NAG1

any idea when this is repeated missed it first time around?

square_ball

Quote from: Nihilist on November 10, 2015, 01:22:06 PM
People have complained for years about soccer but in fairness UEFA has hardened up and cleaned up its act big time. None of these type of exchanges with the ref are allowed anymore. If they happen and bad language or threatening behavior is used the ref issues the proper card or sends off the culprit from the field. Plus he can have the manager removed off as well.

If parents are on the sideline giving bad language to the ref or players (especially in front of minors) the ref has the power to stop the game and force the respective management team to deal with offenders or the match could be abandoned and the offending team faces a hefty fine and possible/probable elimination from the competition.

Its high time the GAA brought in proper enforcement to protect refs, linesmen, umpires children and players. Right now it's only getting worse as was depicted again in the Kerry County final at the weekend.

Do you watch soccer?? When was the last time you seen someone carded for giving the referee a mouthful? I can honestly say I have never seen it. The GAA has the same problem - the black card was introduced for this exact problem yet is rarely used. If it was used regularly then there would be less of it in my opinion. I hate hate hate players mouthing to referees and getting free kicks moved nothing as infuriating!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: square_ball on November 10, 2015, 01:41:13 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on November 10, 2015, 01:22:06 PM

Do you watch soccer?? When was the last time you seen someone carded for giving the referee a mouthful? I can honestly say I have never seen it. The GAA has the same problem - the black card was introduced for this exact problem yet is rarely used. If it was used regularly then there would be less of it in my opinion. I hate hate hate players mouthing to referees and getting free kicks moved nothing as infuriating!

It happens regularly, plenty of yellow cards dished out for dissent. Certain players like Rooney get away with it though due to their reputation.

Nihilist

Quote from: square_ball on November 10, 2015, 01:41:13 PM

Yes I do watch it and players are yellow carded all the time for dissent. Management also face hefty fines and bans. Have you heard about a guy called Mourinho from Chelsea? Maybe not but he was banned from the pitchside for Chelsea's last match because of his behavior and language. 

square_ball

You boys must be watching different matches to me. Yes yellow cards for dissent for kicking a ball away but for giving the referee abuse? Rarely seen it if so give me a few examples there. Again I would suggest Mourinho is punished for reputation similarly to Rooney not being punished for the same reason. Same as the GAA - if you know you can get away with something then you will keep doing it.

Nihilist

FIFA laws of the game.

Rule 6 - Uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or behavior = Red Card

Cautionable offence
Shows dissent by word or action = Yellow Card

Of course its up to the referees to interpret it and apply it but I know refs take no nonsense at all in underage games I see. they may show more leniency in adult games but if its serious enough it will be dealt with.

AZOffaly

Sure the rules of GAA also state you can be punished for abusive language towards an opponent or match official. Doesn't mean it's followed. And to be honest it's our own hypocritical selves that have to hold our hands up on this. How many of us would be apoplectic if one of our lads was sent off for calling the ref a bollox.

(Actually a team mate of mine was sent off for that about 15 years ago). A league final in Cappincur, he was corner forward and called the ref a thundering bollox.  Ref turned around and called him over, and the corner forward looked around as if it was 'Who, Me?' even though the next living creature behind him was a cow about 2 fields over.

5 Sams

Quote from: ck on November 10, 2015, 05:05:55 AM
The best bit of this programme was listening to Dave Goldricks exchange with the players. Why can't we hear this during a game as they do in Rugby? It would help referees win support for what they do and what they are subjected to

The GPA always find something to moan about.

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/the-gpa-are-not-happy-with-the-most-important-aspect-of-last-nights-all-ireland-final-documentary/315428
The Aristocrat Years

BennyCake

Nice piece about John Kerins. Was Mick McCarthy not on that 1990 team too?

tyroneman

If a referee doesn't get the black card out for abuse early doors he has no chance.

Why leave it up to the better angels of the players nature. Tell the captains amd managers at the start and black card the first bit of abuse.

Referees love to think they are one of the lads and so let players away with verbal murder. This only detracts from amd not adds to any respect.

Canalman

Didn't see to much abuse of the referee on the documentary. Plenty of whingeing and backchat tbh, but hardly abuse. Noticed  a few teammates gently pulling lads away from the referee.

No problems with the referee adressing players by their names, but don't think it looks good when say Dublin, Kerry, Donegal, Mayo are playing a less high profile county. Can see why such a team might feel  aggrieved  at perceived "chuminess"..

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: BennyCake on November 10, 2015, 04:59:49 PM
Nice piece about John Kerins. Was Mick McCarthy not on that 1990 team too?

He was yeah. Maybe I missed it but they didn't mention his passing..bit odd. No mention of Teddy Macs "escapades" either.. ;D
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Rudi

Very good program. Darragh Maloney comes across very well, impressive commentator/ presenter. On a separate note f,ckin hate when a sub comes on and gets rakes of shoulders. McMennamin came on for Dublin and O Mahoney hit him a shit load of illegal shoulders off the ball. This crap sickens me hole, should be a straight red.