[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

And the OT dietary laws and their ilk, proscribing various actions and requiring that adulterers be stoned, are they allegorical or real, Tony?

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 14, 2015, 11:41:06 PM
God of the Prophets? What's wrong with that? Parts of the OT are allegorical while other parts (Moses etc) are real.The message remains unadulterated,the prediction of the coming of the Saviour

Jesus called it the Word of God.

He didn't say part of it is the Word of God, or that bits are to taken with a grain of salt, for example, when it is discovered that the earth goes around the sun.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2015, 07:10:36 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 14, 2015, 06:58:24 PM
They are not ignoring him,they see him as the core message,the Saviour who died for the remission of sins and rose from the dead,and whose salvation is available to all who turn their back on sin

He died for the remission of sins? What does that mean?

Anyway, he preached about the Old Testament and called it The Word of the God. As did all the Rabbis and Arab clerics at the time. And they still do now. Just with different interpretations and emphasis. And they all claim to be right.

Logically, there are two possibilities:

a) There is one correct religion and the rest have got it hopelessly wrong;

or

b) There is no correct religion;

This is for you Tony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGrQMD6Uqc

.....your Catholic thinking betrays you Muppet, there is a third option... that there are no incorrect religions...

T Fearon

Times change as do practices.The core message remains however.Repent and trust in Jesus as the Saviour.Do those two simple things then you don't need to worry about whether parts of the Bible are real or allegorical.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2015, 06:08:26 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 13, 2015, 09:46:23 PM
I could have predicted that joke when I wrote the column.I don't think anyone seriously believes Adam and Eve existed,the tale is allegorical and intended to depict God as the creator of mankind

Could it therefore be a bunch of tales written by scribes to give morals and ultimately there really isn't a creator and you've been had?? Or do you just take what suits you and keep saying, that parts not real but this is??

I think that God was certainly working through the scribes and prophets to convey his message (which where the morals) but the scribes where limited to their own physical knowledge of the time. Revealing the theory of evolution to a nomadic tribe with little or no education especially on the physical sciences, might have left them a bit perplexed and the message would surely have been lost.

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2015, 11:22:20 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 14, 2015, 09:08:30 PM
How do you know Jesus believed that literally?

I don't. But you do.

Here is Matthew's Gospel, quoting Jesus, who is quoting the Old Testament and calling it 'what God said to you':

Matthew 22:31

31 But about the resurrection of the dead--have you not read what God said to you, 32 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob' ? He is not the God of the dead but of the living." 33 When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at his teaching. 34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together.

But sure didnt he also contradict it more times than enough as well... for example telling the Pharisees that Moses was incorrect about divorce?

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 15, 2015, 07:41:36 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2015, 07:10:36 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 14, 2015, 06:58:24 PM
They are not ignoring him,they see him as the core message,the Saviour who died for the remission of sins and rose from the dead,and whose salvation is available to all who turn their back on sin

He died for the remission of sins? What does that mean?

Anyway, he preached about the Old Testament and called it The Word of the God. As did all the Rabbis and Arab clerics at the time. And they still do now. Just with different interpretations and emphasis. And they all claim to be right.

Logically, there are two possibilities:

a) There is one correct religion and the rest have got it hopelessly wrong;

or

b) There is no correct religion;

This is for you Tony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGrQMD6Uqc

.....your Catholic thinking betrays you Muppet, there is a third option... that there are no incorrect religions...

How is that possible when they all contradict each other?

I am not familiar with the 'Religiously Correct' brigade.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Practices change, for example stoning adulterers is out,as Jesus pointed out a more compassionate way to help people turn away from sin.But sin is still sin.

easytiger95

T Fearon

easytiger95

muppet

Quote from: easytiger95 on November 15, 2015, 12:10:48 PM
I'm sure in your mind they are one and the same.

Similar to Islamic State and they way they engage in Scriptural Gymnastics to justify everything.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2015, 01:09:44 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on November 15, 2015, 12:10:48 PM
I'm sure in your mind they are one and the same.

Similar to Islamic State and they way they engage in Scriptural Gymnastics to justify everything.
Catholic teaching has lost its popular moorings and is getting left behind.

T Fearon

Sinn Fein and SDLP both experienced a decline in votes in the last election.Undoubtedly this was due in part to veering from Catholic teaching on moral issues.Already even the DUP are making noises about their confidence in winning support from traditional Catholics,as the pipe dream of Irish unity recedes.

The Archbishop of Armagh is a relatively young Derry man, if he has any sense the new young Derry leader of the SDLP will have a meeting with him in the near future