There you are,Nolan /RTE poll tonight

Started by T Fearon, November 04, 2015, 10:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 10, 2015, 10:48:06 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 10, 2015, 10:43:53 AM
I suspect they wanted the cuts blocked long enough to get them through the 26 Co General Election on their pie in the Sky anti everything platform.
I presume SF will be delighted with the proposed cross border police unit to tackle all the criminal activity in the SF controlled areas??
There are no SF "controlled" areas. Before you gloat criminality is as big a problem in Dublin and other urban centres in the South.
Criminality in Dublin and the Munster cities isn't intrinsically linked to supporters of political organisations. The same can't be said of fuel laundering, cigarette smuggling, cattle rustling, credit union robbery, not making tax returns ;), intimidation etc etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trueblue1234

To be fair, the south let their pub owners away with criminal behavior all year round. Robbing b******s
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

Not round here anyway - €4 a pint (porther and beer - yella stuff with foreign names - that's a different story).

omaghjoe

Quote from: Rossfan on November 10, 2015, 04:17:52 PM
I suspect they wanted the cuts blocked long enough to get them through the 26 Co General Election on their pie in the Sky anti everything platform.
I presume SF will be delighted with the proposed cross border police unit to tackle all the criminal activity in the SF controlled areas??
There are no SF "controlled" areas. Before you gloat criminality is as big a problem in Dublin and other urban centres in the South.
Criminality in Dublin and the Munster cities isn't intrinsically linked to supporters of political organisations. The same can't be said of fuel laundering, cigarette smuggling, cattle rustling, credit union robbery, not making tax returns ;), intimidation etc etc.

On a side note what is the deal with the rise and rise of gangland in the South? I think I read that the murder rate is the highest in Western Europe...

Is it a societal problem, or just random?

Its not something that appears to get alot of discussion on here, do people not care, not see the problem as something that concerns them or what. America's gun culture and consequences seems to get a lot more discussion on here for example but it surely affects people in Ireland far less than gangland on their doorstep?

seafoid

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 10, 2015, 01:42:30 PM
At a macroeconomic level I don't think that there is a huge difference between Republic and UK.  They are similar countries in many ways.  Equally in terms of social politics they are not a million miles away.

Both countries have also similar enough views in terms of rights etc.. (notwithstanding details of charters etc..).  Certainly you are not going to get institutionalized and recognized discrimination that you have had in the past.

So fussing about costs of various setups, standard of living and dredging over past injustices doesn't advance the argument one way or another.

What for many is an issue is the comfort of being around your own.  How do you feel being surrounded by Poppy wearers or being the only one wearing it? 
Putting your children to a school of your religion? 
Parading with your own?

Frankly if there ever was a vote, I think these emotive issues will decide where the "X" goes.

/Jim.
There are basically 2 counties with a Protestant majority. The other 4 were added for respectability.
And the majority population of those 2 counties is going through an identity crisis.

I wouldn't downplay economic issues either. 

JPGJOHNNYG

Damn stats hey! People just take what they want from them. Why would anyone want a united Ireland tomorrow when there has been no debate on the subject and would obviously cause mayhem but that is essentially what these polls keep asking. Interesting when they actually poll people on would they want a United Ireland at some stage in the future and remove the dont knows the results become more what you would expect ie approx 80% in the ROI and 40% in NI

screenexile

Sinn Fein have seen the results of this poll and have to realise that they are as far away from a United Ireland as they ever have been.

Equally they can learn from the yes campaign in Scotland and the mistakes they made with regard to fiscal isolation from the UK which I think cost them in the end.

North and South they need to get a strategy for their vision of a United Ireland and what exactly this will look like should the vote ever happen. It needs to be done thoroughly and comprehensively and hammered North and South for the next it 5 -10 years to have any shot.

Their current strategy is causing apathy especially up North where all we can really see is the "at least it's not themmuns" politics ruling.

Sinn Fein need new fresh leaders to get the train going I believe that romantically all Nationalists in the North and the majority in the South would love a United Ireland but we need to see how it will work and that it will work before we can go for it!!

Applesisapples

Nor is there any proof that those linked to criminality in the north are linked to SF. This is a spurious allegation made by some with no proof.

Applesisapples

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 10, 2015, 11:16:11 PM
Damn stats hey! People just take what they want from them. Why would anyone want a united Ireland tomorrow when there has been no debate on the subject and would obviously cause mayhem but that is essentially what these polls keep asking. Interesting when they actually poll people on would they want a United Ireland at some stage in the future and remove the dont knows the results become more what you would expect ie approx 80% in the ROI and 40% in NI
Exactly, I've been castigated on here in the past for not attending SF meetings to find out what they see as the way towards unity. Why can't they put it out there have the debate and look for consensus. Few Nationalists in the North will vote for a UI, let alone Unionists as they have no idea what SF mean by it. As for the SDLP they are clueless and are more interested in securing the future of NI.

Rossfan

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2015, 11:20:02 AM
Nor is there any proof that those linked to criminality in the north are linked to SF. This is a spurious allegation made by some with no proof.

Very hard to get proof. They hardly leave a calling card behind or issue a statement saying who they are.
But the bushes and drumlins and locals know and it's time for SF to grow up and do their bit to stop them.

seafoid

What changes do you think an all-Ireland setup would require ?

Would police have to be armed ?
Would pensions be equalised ?
Would hospitals come under a ginormous HSE or would something more coherent be required ?
Would social welfare become unmanageable up North ?   

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on November 11, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Very hard to get proof. They hardly leave a calling card behind or issue a statement saying who they are.
But the bushes and drumlins and locals know and it's time for SF to grow up and do their bit to stop them.
Why just SF it is a community problem.

Rossfan

True, but SF people might live to tell the tale.

Applesisapples

Keyser soze

Quote from: Rossfan on November 11, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Ah well that's all right then, we'll just try and sentence large groups of people without it. Gossip and innuendo will suffice. Or even better don't bother with a trial, reintroduce internment, it worked well the last time.