Started by stew, October 21, 2015, 12:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: red hander on July 21, 2019, 12:20:52 AM
Quote from: michaelg on July 20, 2019, 10:31:34 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 20, 2019, 10:21:55 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 20, 2019, 10:12:58 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 20, 2019, 10:05:04 PM
Hahaha, the absolute state of anyone who'd let themselves get upset by that.

Nice try btw on the suggestion that the thinking would be "I associate that chant with the RoI team, and loads of the RoI fans really dislike the NI football team, so f**k them and f**k Lowry" rather than just "I associate that chant with the RoI team, so these lads are obviously Irish. f**k these Irish b**tards".
Have you been watching the tele today?

No, I haven't. I pulled the below out of my f**king hole.  ::)

Quote from: gallsman on July 20, 2019, 09:44:07 PM
Sure you've lads on this board who wouldn't say anything good about McIlroy because he doesn't conform to their idea of what he should be. Vast majority of crowd have been absolutely roaring Lowry on. There'll always be a couple of gobshites wherever you go.

You're the one bringing up the laughable suggestion that it might be in some way understandable for people up there to be getting upset by chants of olé olé olé.

My point is that the idea of anyone up in Portrush's thought process goes football chant > Irish football team > Irish football fans > they hate NI > I'm upset rather than simply begrudging the Irishman is nonsense.
As you said, the vast majority of fans are roaring Lowry on.  Was simply suggesting why one or two might be non-plussed.  Doesn't look like there are too many who are "simply begrudging the Irishman".

Look up the dictionary definition of words before using them

The English dictionary?  8)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

inthrough

Quote from: red hander on July 21, 2019, 12:14:43 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 20, 2019, 11:02:46 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 20, 2019, 07:42:32 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 20, 2019, 07:23:25 PM
Shane shooting the lights out here with the crowd pulling him along hopefully he can do it the weather being bad tomorrow should make it a great watch.

Followed him yesterday and the atmosphere was fantastic.

Great days craic yesterday a phenomenal event organised with military precision hopefully it comes back again!
Get a few more in before the UI?
The Open Championship as far as I known is not limited by rule that it can only be held in the UK, more that it is just a convention. The tournament organisers have even been insistent on discouraging journalists and broadcasters from calling it "The British Open", preferring just "The Open".

Well, Portrush isn't in Britain. That's a factual, inarguable reality

It isn't the "British" Open, never has been, never will be.

It's The Open Championship.

LCohen

Shane shooting the lights out here with the crowd pulling him along hopefully he can do it the weather being bad tomorrow should make it a great watch.

Great days craic yesterday a phenomenal event organised with military precision hopefully it comes back again!
The Open Championship as far as I known is not limited by rule that it can only be held in the UK, more that it is just a convention. The tournament organisers have even been insistent on discouraging journalists and broadcasters from calling it "The British Open", preferring just "The Open".

You must go into a complete meltdown every time the commentators mention Holland in other sports

Most people seem to be able to roll with it

Boycey

The absolute state of this thread  :o

Keep her lit Shane....

inthrough

There is no such place as Britain,
Portrush, like the rest of Ireland is part of the British Isles, a geographic description like the Iberian Peninsula, but not part of Great Britain the island which comprises England, Scotland & Wales.

Denn Forever

Offaly to win Hurling All Ireland? 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: inthrough on July 21, 2019, 10:27:09 AM

There is no such place as Britain,
Portrush, like the rest of Ireland is part of the British Isles, a geographic description like the Iberian Peninsula, but not part of Great Britain the island which comprises England, Scotland & Wales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain,_Virginia

Kidder81

Why do golf fans go to golf tournaments dressed as if they are playing ?

TabClear

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 21, 2019, 11:40:30 AM

Why do football fans go to matches dressed like they are playing?  ;)

Kidder81

Quote from: TabClear on July 21, 2019, 12:02:43 PM

Why do football fans go to matches dressed like they are playing?  ;)

Don't see too many full kit wankers at footballs games

Shamrock Shore

As if being called British wasn't bad enough for Shane - we have this!

Orior

Weather proof clothes can be quite handy when spectating all day.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Saw this on Twitter:

Shane Lowry four clear of fellow Irishman Tommy Fleetwood heading into the final round of #TheOpen 

Another Irishman, JB Holmes in third place on -10, while two more Irish players - Brooks Koepka and Justin Rose - are on nine under.

That's how it works, right? 🇮🇪☘️

Orior

And one of the great things about Shane is that he doesn't look like a thoroughbred athlete like me. He looks just like an ordinary single figure handicap golfer turning up for a Monthly Medal.

Milltown Row2

Will miss much of the action due to club games but hopefully Shane keeps things ticking over. I'd say his start will be crucial, first few holes to get through then hopefully a steady round to see it out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea