Possible Rule changes

Started by Rossfan, October 13, 2015, 04:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Don't give up the day job buck.
Mick O'Connell on the radio earlier this year said he doesn't even look at the game any more.
He says he just calls it "Gaelic" as it certainty isn't football and doesn't deserve that title.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

DuffleKing

Quote from: thewobbler on November 18, 2015, 05:47:27 PM
The mark wasn't introduced to Australian Rules as a cosmetic ploy to encourage or reward high fielding. Instead it was introduced as without it, there would have been no discernible advantage in gaining clean possession (without the mark, you would simply let your opponent get the ball, then empty him).

There is no such advantage can be accrued in Gaelic Games, especially not between the 45s, as a stoppage will - most of the time - kill the momentum of the attacking side by allowing their opponents to regain a man-for-man shape that they would have got tossed up a little for the restart.

Sooner or later I'm hoping that this penny will finally drop onto the litany of fuckwits determined to turn out game into one where being 6' 6" is more important than being able to play football.

Sheer fuckwittery.

The clue is in the proposer

rrhf

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2015, 11:21:40 PM
Don't give up the day job buck.
Mick O'Connell on the radio earlier this year said he doesn't even look at the game any more.
He says he just calls it "Gaelic" as it certainty isn't football and doesn't deserve that title.
As opposed to gaelic hoof ball back in the day.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2015, 08:27:27 PM
Ban the fcukn hand pas - it's an abomination and is totally mind numbingly boring to watch  and has destroyed our game.
Name of the game is FOOTball so let's go all revolutionary and start kickin the effin ball.

:-\ :-\ :-\

sometimes I wonder what people want from the game.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Esmarelda

In the Australian game, when the ball is caught clean does the catcher have the option of continuing on with the ball rather than having to take a free-kick? If so, are the opposition allowed to tackle him immediately?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 19, 2015, 09:39:35 AM
In the Australian game, when the ball is caught clean does the catcher have the option of continuing on with the ball rather than having to take a free-kick? If so, are the opposition allowed to tackle him immediately?

yeah you are allowed to play on if you wish
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rossfan

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 19, 2015, 08:43:33 AM
Ban the fcukn hand pas - it's an abomination and is totally mind numbingly boring to watch  and has destroyed our game.
Name of the game is FOOTball so let's go all revolutionary and start kickin the effin ball.

An end to orgies of hand passing as I saw a game described in one paper.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rossfan on November 19, 2015, 09:52:19 AM

so you want a game where you can ONLY kick it?

seriously?

Croí na hÉireann

The mark wasn't introduced to Australian Rules as a cosmetic ploy to encourage or reward high fielding. Instead it was introduced as without it, there would have been no discernible advantage in gaining clean possession (without the mark, you would simply let your opponent get the ball, then empty him).

There is no such advantage can be accrued in Gaelic Games, especially not between the 45s, as a stoppage will - most of the time - kill the momentum of the attacking side by allowing their opponents to regain a man-for-man shape that they would have got tossed up a little for the restart.

Sooner or later I'm hoping that this penny will finally drop onto the litany of fuckwits determined to turn out game into one where being 6' 6" is more important than being able to play football.

Sheer fuckwittery.

How did Brolly's idea for kickouts work out in that trial game does anyone know? The backs and forwards had to be inside their respective 45s and the ball had to be kicked out into the area where the 4 midfielders were between the two 45s. The backs or forwards weren't allowed outside their respective 45s until one of the midfielders had touched the ball.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

westbound

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 19, 2015, 10:00:53 AM

Sheer fuckwittery.

How did Brolly's idea for kickouts work out in that trial game does anyone know? The backs and forwards had to be inside their respective 45s and the ball had to be kicked out into the area where the 4 midfielders were between the two 45s. The backs or forwards weren't allowed outside their respective 45s until one of the midfielders had touched the ball.

I would guess the fact that we haven't seen/heard Brolly eulogising about how great it went tells you all you need to know about this experiment!

DuffleKing

Sheer fuckwittery.

Disaster. Took forever to get lads into position for kick outs and then the keepers never kicked a ball out long - every kick out cluxton style to a runner only its easier in an ocean of space

Link

one of the best things about our game is a quick handpass from a full forward to a player running straight through on goal with both players going at full pace!

BennyCake

All it took would be for one of the MF to fake injury on the 21 yard line and the whole game is held up.

Rossfan

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 19, 2015, 09:55:04 AM

so you want a game where you can ONLY kick it?

seriously?
Ye Nordies are really enmeshed in gaelichandball ::)
Name of our game is Gaelic FOOTball. Kicking, which is the fastest method of moving the ball from A to Z should be prime. Might be a role for occasional fist passes though.
In Gaelichandball to get the ball from A to Z entails 24 handballs from B to Y taking about 3 minutes.

TabClear

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 19, 2015, 10:35:56 AM

Sheer fuckwittery.

Disaster. Took forever to get lads into position for kick outs and then the keepers never kicked a ball out long - every kick out cluxton style to a runner only its easier in an ocean of space

What happens with positional changes during game? ChB gets moved to midfield, does he have to check in with the ref like in American Football as a eligible receiver?