Clubs per County

Started by MoChara, October 07, 2015, 08:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 07, 2015, 10:26:32 AM
Don't forget juvenile clubs as well. They are probably counting them as well.

We have a Senior Club and a Juvenile Club in Newport. The Juvenile club is an offshoot of the senior club, but it has its own officers and committee members, and the Chairman is a member of the Senior Club committee as well. That's 1 'club' in reality, but is technically 2 clubs.

In Ferbane, we have 3 clubs, all for the one really. Ferbane is the Football Club, Belmont is the hurling club, and Ferbane-Belmont is the juvenile club.

So straight away in those two examples, where most people would say the count is 3, the count is actually 5.
and a Ladies club that include most of west Offaly
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Quote from: giveballaghback on October 07, 2015, 01:41:05 PM
Where is syf for the Rossie count? 32 in Ros sounds about right, 3 of those are exclusively hurling clubs so 29 football clubs of which  4 or 5 also have hurlings teams, Im sure i will be corrected on that.
Football
Aidans
Clan
Brids
Doms*
Ros Gaels*
Pearses*
Creggs
Fuerty
Ciarans( Creggs/Fuerty combined underage)
Oran*
Kilbride
Joes
Fáithleachs
Strokes
Tulsk
Westerns
Castlerea
Croans
Glaveys
Éire Óg
Ballinameen
Elphin
Kilmore
Kilglass
Barrys
Shan Gaels
Micks
Ronans
Boyle
29 4 with an* have hurling as well.

Hurley
4 Roads
Athleague
Tremane
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: rosnarun on October 07, 2015, 03:32:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 07, 2015, 10:26:32 AM
Don't forget juvenile clubs as well. They are probably counting them as well.

We have a Senior Club and a Juvenile Club in Newport. The Juvenile club is an offshoot of the senior club, but it has its own officers and committee members, and the Chairman is a member of the Senior Club committee as well. That's 1 'club' in reality, but is technically 2 clubs.

In Ferbane, we have 3 clubs, all for the one really. Ferbane is the Football Club, Belmont is the hurling club, and Ferbane-Belmont is the juvenile club.

So straight away in those two examples, where most people would say the count is 3, the count is actually 5.
and a Ladies club that include most of west Offaly

Correct, but Naomh Ciaran wouldn't be a GAA club, as it's under the auspices of LGAA

UpMeeyo

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 07, 2015, 10:42:07 AM
Quote from: Canalman on October 07, 2015, 10:37:35 AM
Around 85/90 or so in Dublin I think.

Yeah I think I did a count and it was around that. In Dublin it's the number of teams per club that's so impressive.

Handball the forgotten sport has its own gaa clubs too, Examples being brian borus and portobello in dublin, neither of which even have a handball alley.

naka

Quote from: general_lee on October 07, 2015, 09:30:07 AM
No chance Armagh has 56 clubs. Even including clubs that have folded.

42 senior men's football and 3 hurling only clubs

still far too many

giveballaghback

What about Ballaghaderreen rossfan, is it in Roscommon, their roads are repaired by Ros co.co,.they tax their cars in roscommon, their reg is RN, so you missed one club.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: giveballaghback on October 07, 2015, 10:01:38 PM
What about Ballaghaderreen rossfan, is it in Roscommon, their roads are repaired by Ros co.co,.they tax their cars in roscommon, their reg is RN, so you missed one club.
They were in Roscommon. But they fell out with the Ros CB at one stage...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

giveballaghback

But the town and parish of Ballaghaderreen is still in Roscommon.

Rossfan

Quote from: giveballaghback on October 07, 2015, 10:01:38 PM

It was a list of GAA clubs affiliated to their own Co Board.
I refuse to recognise a Traitor club. >:(

Owenmoresider

Some of those numbers do seem to be high alright, though Sligo and Leitrim would look to be fairly accurate, Sligo has 23 football clubs and 2 hurling clubs, not sure who's the other unless they still count in Ballisodare who folded into us a few years back.

whitey

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 07, 2015, 01:50:53 PM
Carras is Garrymore/Kilmaine underage amalgamation. Loads of them in Mayo unfortunatrly

I know my Mayo geography pretty well, and I'm confused by this one. Do those 2 parishes border each other?  I would have thought there's a couple of clubs in between them.

omaghjoe

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 07, 2015, 09:13:13 AM
Tyrone have only 48 mens football clubs and a couple of additional ladies clubs , there are maybe 4/5 hurling clubs .
Not sure how they got to 68

There's 48 football, 4 hurling, and 17 ladies. Thats 69, not including handball, of which there is at least 4.

AZOffaly

Quote from: whitey on October 08, 2015, 12:17:59 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 07, 2015, 01:50:53 PM
Carras is Garrymore/Kilmaine underage amalgamation. Loads of them in Mayo unfortunatrly

I know my Mayo geography pretty well, and I'm confused by this one. Do those 2 parishes border each other?  I would have thought there's a couple of clubs in between them.

That can happen. In cases where the clubs in between are capable of fielding on their own, or as an already formed amalgamation, it's not unusual for clubs to 'jump' a couple of places to meet another club willing to amalgamate for underage especially. Here in Tipp Sean Treacys of Rear Cross are joined with Emly, who are miles away.

Magicsponge

43 clubs in antrim according to the website:

All Saints
Ardoyne Kickhams
Carey Faughs GAC
Clooney Gaels
Colin Gaels GAC
Con Magee's GAC
Cuchullains
Éire Óg
Erins Own Gac
Glen Rovers GAC
Gort Na Mona GAC
John Mitchels
Kickhams Creggan GAC
Lamh Dhearg CLG
Loughgiel Shamrocks GAC
McQuillan GAC
Michael Davitts
O'Donnells
O'Donovan Rossa
Oisin CLG
Patrick Pearses GAC
Patrick Sarsfields
Robert Emmets
Roger Casements GAC
Ruairí Óg
Shane Ui Neill GAA
St Agnes GAC
St Brigid's
St Brigids
St Comgall's
St Enda's
St Ergnat's GAC
St Galls GAC
St James'
St John's GAC
St Joseph's
St Malachy's
St Mary's
St Paul's
St Teresa's GAC
St. Mary's GA & CC
St.Patricks GAC
Tír Na nÓg

Well off 108.
http://antrim.gaa.ie/clubs

Rossfan

Quote from: omaghjoe on October 08, 2015, 03:51:34 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 07, 2015, 09:13:13 AM
Tyrone have only 48 mens football clubs and a couple of additional ladies clubs , there are maybe 4/5 hurling clubs .
Not sure how they got to 68

There's 48 football, 4 hurling, and 17 ladies. Thats 69, not including handball, of which there is at least 4.
Strictly speaking ladies' clubs are not part of the GAA so ye've 52.