Clubs per County

Started by MoChara, October 07, 2015, 08:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Around 85/90 or so in Dublin I think.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Canalman on October 07, 2015, 10:37:35 AM
Around 85/90 or so in Dublin I think.

Yeah I think I did a count and it was around that. In Dublin it's the number of teams per club that's so impressive.

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

general_lee

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 07, 2015, 10:17:22 AM
Quote from: clootfromthe21 on October 07, 2015, 09:38:30 AM
I think a lot of it might have to do with the technical way in which a "club" is structured in gaa terms. AFAIK some dual "clubs" are actually technically two separate clubs whereas others are a single unit. For example, "St Paddy's, Ballybeg" which plays both hurling and football may well actually be two distinct clubs notwithstanding same name, same ground, same players. That might explain why Antrim seem to have a lot more clubs than is "right".

Aye, the like of Middletown and Keady in Armagh are clubs that have both football and hurling teams.  But I don't think they are technically the one club.
Keady are two different clubs Middletown is one afaik.

deiseach

Waterford has 56 clubs all right, if you treat clubs that take to the field in different guises depending on whether it's hurling or football as two clubs. I don't, so that makes 48.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: general_lee on October 07, 2015, 09:30:07 AM
No chance Armagh has 56 clubs. Even including clubs that have folded.

42 senior men's football and 3 hurling only clubs

I'd say they have included the various II's teams as seperate ones and probably included Phelim Bradys and Killean even though they are defunct.

Hound

Across all grades from U8 to adult, Kilmacud Crokes has 51 football teams, 41 hurling teams, 29 ladies football teams and 11 camogie teams.

giveballaghback

Where is syf for the Rossie count? 32 in Ros sounds about right, 3 of those are exclusively hurling clubs so 29 football clubs of which  4 or 5 also have hurlings teams, Im sure i will be corrected on that.

general_lee

Quote from: Hound on October 07, 2015, 01:19:22 PM
Across all grades from U8 to adult, Kilmacud Crokes has 51 football teams, 41 hurling teams, 29 ladies football teams and 11 camogie teams.
Are they the biggest club in Ireland? I think Clann Éireann in Lurgan are the biggest in Armagh with 3k members.

Farrandeelin

Carras is Garrymore/Kilmaine underage amalgamation. Loads of them in Mayo unfortunatrly
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

nrico2006

Quote from: general_lee on October 07, 2015, 11:22:27 AM
I think a lot of it might have to do with the technical way in which a "club" is structured in gaa terms. AFAIK some dual "clubs" are actually technically two separate clubs whereas others are a single unit. For example, "St Paddy's, Ballybeg" which plays both hurling and football may well actually be two distinct clubs notwithstanding same name, same ground, same players. That might explain why Antrim seem to have a lot more clubs than is "right".

Aye, the like of Middletown and Keady in Armagh are clubs that have both football and hurling teams.  But I don't think they are technically the one club.

But don't they played football as Eoghan Ruadh, hurling as Na Fíanna and Camogie as St Johns. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

general_lee

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 07, 2015, 01:51:23 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 07, 2015, 11:22:27 AM

But don't they played football as Eoghan Ruadh, hurling as Na Fíanna and Camogie as St Johns. 
Yes I don't understand their setup but I'm near sure it's all the one club.

Dinny Breen

That's over 2.5k playing members alone - how do you administrate a club like that? It's a monster..
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 07, 2015, 02:25:52 PM

That's over 2.5k playing members alone - how do you administrate a club like that? It's a monster..

A monster is right. I know UCD play in the championship but I've never understood why a club doesn't operate out of Belfield, the same way as St. Brendan's will operate out of DIT in Grangegorman. There is a huge tract of land from Clanna Gael in Ringsend to Crokes in Stillogan over to Portobello in Rathmines with UCD sitting right in the middle of it. It might be rugby country but that is still a huge membership base for a club.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

deiseach

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 07, 2015, 03:03:58 PM
A monster is right. I know UCD play in the championship but I've never understood why a club doesn't operate out of Belfield, the same way as St. Brendan's will operate out of DIT in Grangegorman. There is a huge tract of land from Clanna Gael in Ringsend to Crokes in Stillogan over to Portobello in Rathmines with UCD sitting right in the middle of it. It might be rugby country but that is still a huge membership base for a club.

I'll get my coat...