Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

seafoid

I didn't know he was missing. I would look in Castlebar.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tubberman

Quote from: Jinxy on May 04, 2017, 01:49:51 PM
Martin isn't taking this lying down.  :o

Martin Breheny: Aidan O'Shea has made unsubstantiated allegations against the Irish Independent
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-aidan-oshea-has-made-unsubstantiated-allegations-against-the-irish-independent-35678782.html

Haven't clicked on the link as I wouldn't like to contribute to their hit counter, but the headline just reaffirms my opinion of Breheny as a journalist and the Independent as a newspaper - neither are worthy of the title.
What a clown Breheny is, he's a grown man ffs.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on May 04, 2017, 02:04:56 PM

Martin Breheny: Aidan O'Shea has made unsubstantiated allegations against the Irish Independent
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-aidan-oshea-has-made-unsubstantiated-allegations-against-the-irish-independent-35678782.html

Haven't clicked on the link as I wouldn't like to contribute to their hit counter, but the headline just reaffirms my opinion of Breheny as a journalist and the Independent as a newspaper - neither are worthy of the title.

Ah come on. AOS says he didn't get a chance to respond to the 'claims' - Breheny rightly tears him a new one by pointing out the panel were contacted and given that very opportunity.

AOS trying to deflect blame for his own actions on a newspaper is the real nonsense in all this. If he really wanted to close the book on this he would come out and say he didn't like the joint managers, the ground rules they set down or who they were picking - people would respect him a lot more if he were honest.

Everyone and their mother knows it will all come out in 10 years' time when he or one of the other panelists have an autobiography to flog anyways.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on May 04, 2017, 02:51:04 PM

Ah come on. AOS says he didn't get a chance to respond to the 'claims' - Breheny rightly tears him a new one by pointing out the panel were contacted and given that very opportunity.

AOS trying to deflect blame for his own actions on a newspaper is the real nonsense in all this. If he really wanted to close the book on this he would come out and say he didn't like the joint managers, the ground rules they set down or who they were picking - people would respect him a lot more if he were honest.

Everyone and their mother knows it will all come out in 10 years' time when he or one of the other panelists have an autobiography to flog anyways.

As I said, I haven't read the piece. But that type of headline is more like something you'd read in The Daily Mail! It sounds like Breheny is about to meet AOS on the steps of the High Court ffs.
How do you know that Breheny's account of what happened is correct btw? Maybe you should step back and stop posting as if you're fully aware of the facts when you obviously aren't.

macdanger2

Here's what AOS actually said as taken from the hoganstand.

"It's old news. It's factually incorrect and that's unfortunately the way the paper wanted to write it.

"That's their prerogative. It's not something I dwell on – I've completely moved on myself personally and the group have completely moved forward.

"We're trying to win an All-Ireland for lots of reasons but that's (getting back at Holmes and Connelly) not one of them.

"I'm not going to get into it, to be honest with ya. It's not the time or place but some day in the future I'm sure I'll go back over it, yeah.

"I didn't get the right to respond at the time and as a duty as a journalist they didn't give me the right at the time and I'm not going to do it now, six months later. It's a lack of respect. Please."

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on May 04, 2017, 03:07:53 PM

As I said, I haven't read the piece. But that type of headline is more like something you'd read in The Daily Mail! It sounds like Breheny is about to meet AOS on the steps of the High Court ffs.
How do you know that Breheny's account of what happened is correct btw? Maybe you should step back and stop posting as if you're fully aware of the facts when you obviously aren't.

I know because any journo with a juicy story contacts the other side for their take. It's literally journalism 101. For them it's a no loss request - at worst they get nothing, at best get another hot take that'll sell papers or page-views. You can criticize Breheny for plenty but he isn't lying on this one.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on May 04, 2017, 03:35:52 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 04, 2017, 03:07:53 PM

I know because any journo with a juicy story contacts the other side for their take. It's literally journalism 101. For them it's a no loss request - at worst they get nothing, at best get another hot take that'll sell papers or page-views. You can criticize Breheny for plenty but he isn't lying on this one.

But I haven't accused him of lying. I said he's not worthy of being called a journalist and is a clown.

Farrandeelin

It wasn't an interview though was it?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Il Bomber Destro

What we know is that had the O'Sheas and a few other high profile Mayo players being filmed hiring an Eastern European hitman to take out the Mayo management team, there would still be a large amount of Mayo posters on here trying to justify it or denying it happened.

Beffs

Aidan O'Shea has one of the highest media profiles in Ireland. Love him or hate him, he's box office. Editors and journalists all over the country know that. If he wasn't allowed speak out 6 months ago, as his own Co Board/Roachford would rather all the players kept quiet, or the squad had made a group decision to say nothing, that is one thing. But it's utterly laughable to imply that the Indo or anyone else in the media, would deny him the opportunity to state his own version of events, if he chose to give them. There isn't a single media outlet in the country that wouldn't fall all over themselves to give him a platform to say whatever he wants to say, for as long as he wants to say it. Don't think he did himself any favours by saying what he did. If Mayo people want all this to blow over and for everyone to move on, it is unlikely to happen if the players themselves give the situation yet more oxygen.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 04, 2017, 05:50:03 PM
What we know is that had the O'Sheas and a few other high profile Mayo players being filmed hiring an Eastern European hitman to take out the Mayo management team, there would still be a large amount of Mayo posters on here trying to justify it or denying it happened.

I categorically deny that   the O'Sheas and a few other high profile Mayo players were filmed hiring an Eastern European hitman to take out the Mayo management team!

Jinxy

I heard they hired him to join the Mayo management team and help with their shooting.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mayoaremagic

Anyone see Martin Breheny's newest article on the Holmes/Connelly debacle?

I think he is underestimating the readers to be honest. Does he genuinely think that people cant see that articles are very often, written with a certain slant of narrative? It's insulting to people's intelligence for him to feign indignation at this assertion, not unlike his contrived assertion that Alan Dillon being unhappy at being dropped meant that there was player power. Talk about taking people for fools. It is like watching a card trick where you can see the card up the guy's sleeve.

As for his claims that he wanted to deliver the full story without bias - that is nearly as laughable as Jim Gavin's latest assertions that nobody in the Dublin set up gets paid. Again, Breheny seems to assume people don't understand how journalists and the media work.

Here is the reality of it, for my money. Mayo have been around for a while now. Like any team, sooner or later, they will fall by the wayside. They have came up short a few times, have a few characters that people dislike, and have had a bit of controversy - not unlike the cork hurlers before them. Breheny and co frankly, see a story. They know that when they do fall away there will be plenty wanting to read articles sticking the boot in. Simply put, they want to be on that gravy train early doors. That is the long and short of it, he is just angling for the story on the inevitable.

The thing is, predict any team to lose and wait long enough, and you will ultimately be right. Fact is mayo made the all Ireland final and were the best team in the drawn game after breheny made his assertions. Therefore, he got it wrong, and revisiting it over and over will never change that.