Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannoncider

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 03, 2015, 04:35:45 PM
Tony McEntee is from the Crossmaglen coaching tree. I doubt he'd be a blanket defense advocate. If anything he'd be more of a direct ball man I'd have thought.

No point kicking in long direct ball when you have shite forwards inside. Maybe blanket defence and break at pace is the way Mayo need to go

AZOffaly

Not my point. mayoman dan was talking about blanket defence, and I wouldn't think that's the way Tony Mc would rock.

seafoid

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2015, 03:11:14 PM
I have to say it's going to be interesting to watch Mayo this year, and interesting to see how much input my mate has on things.  The talent is undoubtedly there.   I know Armagh won't win it so I'm nailing my colours to the Mayo mast this year and cheering them for Sam!!!
me too

blast05

I look forward to the day that Mayo come up against 14 men.
I remember when Crossmolina played Dunshaughlin in the All-Ireland club semi in 2002 and Rochie / Rochford / Stephen (what are we calling him?!) gave an exhibition of how to play as the extra man when Dunshaughlin had a man send off close to half time.

screenexile

I think the announcement of Rochford's backroom team shows him up to be a shrewd operator. A link to the good things of before and quality brought in with McEntee.

McEntee is a powerful advocate of the kicking game and a shrewd operator I would think this is Mayo's last roll of the dice. Someone had mentioned they don't want to see too much change to the gameplan?? As Einstein said Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the different results. It's time Mayo started something new or their time will run out!!

larryin89

Quote from: screenexile on December 04, 2015, 12:19:10 PM
I think the announcement of Rochford's backroom team shows him up to be a shrewd operator. A link to the good things of before and quality brought in with McEntee.

McEntee is a powerful advocate of the kicking game and a shrewd operator I would think this is Mayo's last roll of the dice. Someone had mentioned they don't want to see too much change to the gameplan?? As Einstein said Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the different results. It's time Mayo started something new or their time will run out!!

I see what you're saying and I'd partly agree but two things , how long does it take a team to get used of a new system after playing a certain style for five years ? Secondly , if you were to look at Mayo in this era and be neither bias or anti , you'd have to agree there has never been a team as close without getting their hands on Sam . People are too quick (self included) to put our failure to land Sam as just another same old chapter in mayos history since 89 but this era is completely different to any other now at this stage . Also, I don't know why people assume Mayo are just going to drift away once we see the retirements come in the next couple of years ,I honestly believe we will never drift away like is being predicted ,consistently competitive was horans idea and it will be his legacy imo.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Quote from: larryin89 on December 04, 2015, 07:29:50 PM
Also, I don't know why people assume Mayo are just going to drift away once we see the retirements come in the next couple of years ,I honestly believe we will never drift away like is being predicted ,consistently competitive was horans idea and it will be his legacy imo.
K Higgins,T Cunniffe, C Boyle, 2 Morans,S O Shea,Dillon etc if the quality coming in to replace those players isn't the same then its only natural that Mayo will drift in the next couple of years.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 04, 2015, 07:49:04 PM
Also, I don't know why people assume Mayo are just going to drift away once we see the retirements come in the next couple of years ,I honestly believe we will never drift away like is being predicted ,consistently competitive was horans idea and it will be his legacy imo.
K Higgins,T Cunniffe, C Boyle, 2 Morans,S O Shea,Dillon etc if the quality coming in to replace those players isn't the same then its only natural that Mayo will drift in the next couple of years.

Dillon has been on the wane for a few years as injuries have set in. We lost Andy in his prime and it could be argued that his injury cost us big time. He has contributed since of course. We ve had to cope without Cunniffe for long periods as well and likewise Barry Moran.
Higgins and Boyle are 2 special players that ye don t get too often but lads like Patrick Durkan and Michael Hall are quality footballing backs.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on December 04, 2015, 08:53:13 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on December 04, 2015, 07:49:04 PM

Dillon has been on the wane for a few years as injuries have set in. We lost Andy in his prime and it could be argued that his injury cost us big time. He has contributed since of course. We ve had to cope without Cunniffe for long periods as well and likewise Barry Moran.
Higgins and Boyle are 2 special players that ye don t get too often but lads like Patrick Durkan and Michael Hall are quality footballing backs.

Ye need more than two players in the coming years Moy. The best of the underage players ye have produced in the last three years is off in Aussie land with the brother.

moysider

There will be others  ;)
Nobody outside Mayo (and not too many in Mayo either would have Diarmuid O Connor emerging so soon.

larryin89

Maybe yer right , only time will tell I suppose.

To me we also have  seasoned lads who have at least three good years ahead of them in AOS, Keegan, Cillian (plus) , Parsons. Players introduced this year like Young Durcan and obviously Diarmuid look like very promising prospects . If we were to add two more to in and around the first fifteen this year like Douglas/Regan/hall and hopefully another 13 minor like Tommy goals perhaps , I'd argue we are on track and pretty much the polar opposite to what some are forecasting . There is a real buzz to Mayo GAA these last few years , maybe I'm being optimistic but I believe we have created something special but like I said only time will prove who is right. 
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on December 04, 2015, 09:36:51 PM

There will be others  ;)
Nobody outside Mayo (and not too many in Mayo either would have Diarmuid O Connor emerging so soon.

If you want to call it that. I've been hearing him being hyped up to the hilt by confused Ballagh lads for years now who said he was just mighty (in training) and at minor, U21 and senior up until the two Dublin games he showed little to warrant the hype. Other players would have been thrown by the wayside long before O'Connor started to come good, he's had a lot of senior football already. He has miles to go yet if he wants to be a consistent force at senior. Durcan took to county far more gracefully.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Syferus on December 04, 2015, 11:38:47 PM

There will be others  ;)

If you want to call it that. I've been hearing him being hyped up to the hilt by confused Ballagh lads for years now who said he was just mighty (in training) and at minor, U21 and senior up until the two Dublin games he showed little to warrant the hype. Other players would have been thrown by the wayside long before O'Connor started to come good, he's had a lot of senior football already. He has miles to go yet if he wants to be a consistent force at senior. Durcan took to county far more gracefully.
You really dont have a fukn clue do ya
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Syferus

Quote from: sans pessimism on December 05, 2015, 07:20:21 AM

There will be others  ;)

Touchy ladeen. DOC has talent but saying he's arrived after two good performances is mad. Talk about heaping pressure on a kid.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2015, 05:38:10 PM
Quote from: sans pessimism on December 05, 2015, 07:20:21 AM

There will be others  ;)

Touchy ladeen. DOC has talent but saying he's arrived after two good performances is mad. Talk about heaping pressure on a kid.

Don't have to be touchy to recognise you're talking through your hole.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."