Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 21, 2015, 06:50:48 PM
When nominations (Rochford and Horan) close on Nov 1, is there a possibility that  the Mayo Co Board could introduce another candidate to the race, like they did with John Maughan and the U-21 job?

I suppose there is. I can't see them doing that this time. I think Maughan's comments may have pushed the boat too much for the players, and Co. Board. I'm only going on my gut feeling though...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Shrewdness

Would agree with that Farr. After what Maughan said about the H and C situation, it would be very hard to see the players taking to him in a managerial situation...With no definite date for the end of Rochford's stint with Corofin, this has to be Horan's job. When is the Connacht Club final?

Farrandeelin

I think it's the 22nd of November.

larryin89

Holy smoley , I hope it's rubbish .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

mayo.mick

Any of ye at O'Mahoney's book launch last nigh in ballagh? Anyone from county board there??
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Syferus

Quote from: mayo.mick on October 21, 2015, 11:40:51 PM
Any of ye at O'Mahoney's book launch last nigh in ballagh? Anyone from county board there??

Many's a day I had Badmintion in that Nathys gym (the PE teacher didn't want to take them down once he put them up), but Li Hayes was the VIP on the night.

maigheo

Would not cross the road to it.

mrhardyannual

The appointment procedure is farcical. With the U21 job the CB asked clubs to nominate potential managers. When they did the CB looked at the two candidates and figured that they weren't up to the job and approached John Maughan. As I posted before, this was the smart move as you were at least getting someone of ability. However when Maughan withdraws the CB go ahead and appoint one of the two they had already dismissed instead of reopening the process and headhunting a manager as any efficient management body would.

Fast forward to the Senior management and we get the same old hat pretence at democracy where clubs are asked to nominate. In the event of neither Horan or Rochford being interested how are a club to approach a potential manager unless he is known to them. Does the Chairman of  Kiltane, Davitts or Kilmovee pick up the phone and ring Paul Curran, Jason Ryan or Pudsy Ryan and ask would he be willing to put his name forward. Surely it would be better to allow those interested to apply directly or have a Selection Comm find a manager or at least for a panel to be interviewed.

Now we have a facilitator to find common ground between the CB and the players. When will the Clubs of the county demand that their needs, the needs of the ordinary club player and the needs of the nurturing and development of games in the county be paramount. I have nothing but admiration for our county players and the highest regard for James Horan, John Maughan et al who gave us great service as managers but I don't want a Donegal solution where a ball isn't kicked seriously within the county until the "Search for Sam" or the "Fix for Six" is over.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: maigheo on October 22, 2015, 12:20:13 AM
Would not cross the road to it.
;D Good man maigheo.

Shrewdness

Apparently, there was a very large attendance at that book launch the other night. It was the biggest gathering of Mayo people (and Ballagh sympathisers) seen in Co Roscommon since last July's Connacht Final!!

moysider

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 22, 2015, 03:25:03 PM
Apparently, there was a very large attendance at that book launch the other night. It was the biggest gathering of Mayo people (and Ballagh sympathisers) seen in Co Roscommon since last July's Connacht Final!!

Glad to hear that. Expect the book to be flying off the shelves so.

Mac2

Definitely one for the bonfire.

Syferus

Quote from: Mac2 on October 23, 2015, 11:43:02 AM
Definitely one for the bonfire.

Jesus ye have an awful lot of hate for Johnno. Still the best manager Mayo have produced in over half a century.

rodney trotter

Saw in the paper Horan won't be returning. It said Tony McEntee could be part of a possible management team with Rochford.

McEntee was linked with the job last year. He would toughen up that Mayo full back line.

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 23, 2015, 01:12:58 PM
Saw in the paper Horan won't be returning. It said Tony McEntee could be part of a possible management team with Rochford.

McEntee was linked with the job last year. He would toughen up that Mayo full back line.

So the players threw out their manager and didn't even get the man they wanted. Nothing to see here.