Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossie11

Any bookie giving odds on next manager?
PP were last week but its gone now

mick999

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/stephen-rochford-clear-favourite-for-mayo-job-31585430.html

Stephen Rochford has emerged as the clear frontrunner to be appointed the new Mayo football manager.

One bookmaking firm announced yesterday that it had suspended betting on the current Corofin manager taking charge of the Connacht champions after a player heave saw Pat Holmes and Noel Connelly step down.

Rochford, who has previously been involved with the Mayo minors, guided Galway outfit Corofin to an All-Ireland club title last March as they swept past Derry's Slaughtneil.

And the Crossmolina native was backed into 1/4 from 11/8 before Paddy Power pulled the market on Sunday night.

Crete Boom

Quote from: galwayman on October 06, 2015, 12:27:51 PM
I assume you are referring to us there?
Not quite sure where you get that idea from.
He absolutely slated Galway after the drawn Connacht final in 98.
And I recall other articles written about us late 90s/early noughties where he was less than complimentary.
Anyway I wouldn't be in the least worried what he says about you.
Total dinosaur

I remember that galwayman. I think he called you the fancy Dans of football but he did have a road to Damascus like conversion after you won those couple of All Irelands with his ire turning to Mayo and Dublin after that and now Mayo are the lone targets due to our failure to get over the line. He was a very good manager in fairness to him despite being a poor journalist!!!

Mac2

Quote from: galwayman on October 06, 2015, 12:27:51 PM
I assume you are referring to us there?
Not quite sure where you get that idea from.
He absolutely slated Galway after the drawn Connacht final in 98.
And I recall other articles written about us late 90s/early noughties where he was less than complimentary.
Anyway I wouldn't be in the least worried what he says about you.
Total dinosaur
No a closet Ross man despite some faint criticism this year.
Never would be too bothered about journos having a go but he seems to have some sort of axe to grind with us for a long time.

Rossie11

Quote from: mick999 on October 06, 2015, 02:04:13 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/stephen-rochford-clear-favourite-for-mayo-job-31585430.html

Stephen Rochford has emerged as the clear frontrunner to be appointed the new Mayo football manager.

One bookmaking firm announced yesterday that it had suspended betting on the current Corofin manager taking charge of the Connacht champions after a player heave saw Pat Holmes and Noel Connelly step down.

Rochford, who has previously been involved with the Mayo minors, guided Galway outfit Corofin to an All-Ireland club title last March as they swept past Derry's Slaughtneil.

And the Crossmolina native was backed into 1/4 from 11/8 before Paddy Power pulled the market on Sunday night.

They shouldnt have any probs quoting me a good price on someone else so..

Lar Naparka

I haven't read the Western yet so I don't know what Sir John interview has to say about Connelly and Holmes stepping down but if makes sense of some sort, it'll be the first one to do so that I've come across.
I'm sure there are lots of decent, ordinary people who disagreed with the players' action and that's their entitlement. But I have yet to come across anything here or in the media that makes sense.
Some of the posters here, normally, sensible, level-headed folks, really went to town on the team but came up with very little to a back up their rants claims. To say that if Lee Keegan's shot hadn't been blocked, Mayo would have won the All-Ireland and the two bucks would be heroes. That's straight out of the "If only me auntie..." guidebook.
Similarly with the claim that if only Seamie O'Shea had kept his temper we would  would now be in Nirvana or something like that. Dublin managed to turn a four point deficit into a seven point win inside the last 25 minutes. Even if by some miracle, we had won that game, Kerry would have to be dealt with and and they'd probably bate us down Clonliffe Road with Mayo in such disarray.
If Seamie hadn't been black-carded, he would  probably have finished the game and nothing more can be said, As it was, his radar wasn't calibrated very well as he was way off with his attempts to hoof long balls into to Aidan. Anyway, Andy didn't weaken the team when he came on.       
I'm not trying to re-start the controversy, but I'd I'd love to find out what any sane rational being might have to say in the managers' defence.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: heffo on October 04, 2015, 08:29:18 PM
I hope no Mayo poster here ever has the brass balls to comment on the Dublin back room team again

It's a well-known fact that the Dublin back-room team like to dress up as ladies and pick up men in bars.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 06, 2015, 06:03:36 PM
I haven't read the Western yet so I don't know what Sir John interview has to say about Connelly and Holmes stepping down but if makes sense of some sort, it'll be the first one to do so that I've come across.
I'm sure there are lots of decent, ordinary people who disagreed with the players' action and that's their entitlement. But I have yet to come across anything here or in the media that makes sense.
Some of the posters here, normally, sensible, level-headed folks, really went to town on the team but came up with very little to a back up their rants claims. To say that if Lee Keegan's shot hadn't been blocked, Mayo would have won the All-Ireland and the two bucks would be heroes. That's straight out of the "If only me auntie..." guidebook.
Similarly with the claim that if only Seamie O'Shea had kept his temper we would  would now be in Nirvana or something like that. Dublin managed to turn a four point deficit into a seven point win inside the last 25 minutes. Even if by some miracle, we had won that game, Kerry would have to be dealt with and and they'd probably bate us down Clonliffe Road with Mayo in such disarray.
If Seamie hadn't been black-carded, he would  probably have finished the game and nothing more can be said, As it was, his radar wasn't calibrated very well as he was way off with his attempts to hoof long balls into to Aidan. Anyway, Andy didn't weaken the team when he came on.       
I'm not trying to re-start the controversy, but I'd I'd love to find out what any sane rational being might have to say in the managers' defence.

Being sane might be stretching it a bit but I'll give it a go.

Until the semi-final I thought the team was set up well during the Summer - probably a better shape to it than in Horan's time. The set-up attitude for the Donegal was A1. In spite of all the rumblings of discontent around the place since early year the team was well prepared and clued in on the pitch.

Unless the team won the whole shebang though it was obvious from the start really that H&C would be dead men walking. My gripe with them is that they didn t take the hint and make their excuses and leave with good grace after Dublin. Maybe with the board firmly onside they thought they could weather the storm/let the dust settle.

It was poor judgement by the managers and the board. They completely underestimated the mood of the squad. It didn t need to become such a squabble and a spectacle for the whole country to enjoy.

There was no way that H&C were going to get a settle-in year. Firstly the team was too far on in development for teething trouble. Secondly there is a body of opinion out there  that managers get the best out of a team in their first year. Thirdly, these were not rookie managers - both had managed as a team at U21 and Holmes had a 3 year stint previously as senior manager.

A returning Horan - if he returns - would be under similar pressure to go the whole way next year.

Syferus

Whoever gets the job will have the express pressure to win an AI immediately after what the Mayo players did. I think all the players have achieved is making their task next season more difficult by the actions this off-season, but I ain't complaining.

The hard answer might be that this panel's chance of winning has passed, no matter who is appointed.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Syferus on October 07, 2015, 01:15:23 AM
Whoever gets the job will have the express pressure to win an AI immediately after what the Mayo players did. I think all the players have achieved is making their task next season more difficult by the actions this off-season, but I ain't complaining.

The hard answer might be that this panel's chance of winning has passed, no matter who is appointed.
There is no doubt that the players have put pressure on themselves but then again there is hardly another team in the country which has shown such determination to rebound from adversity as this group has. Age wise there are very few who would be considered finished and with modern training, S&C and game management plus the arrival of Diarmuid,  , Coen, Regan, 3rd O Shea, Loftus etc we will be in the mix next year.
Longterm , however, the affects of the 20 yr drive for Sam and the resultant need for finance to bolster on the club situation is worrying.  Club football is at an all time low. As bad as senior c/ship is the underage structures are dropping in standard annually.Ballinrobe may play senior football championship next year from the third division of the league. Westport, third largest area in the county, have not fielded at u21 level this yr. At underage levels clubs are diving to compete at B,C,or D levels in order to win rather than face competition at higher levels. Development panels are harder to exit than enter. Claremorris have won the Minor A league and qualified for the A Ch/ship final with a team that had no representatives on the county minor team. Meanwhile the Mayo News posts an inventory of those players who won All Ireland Minor title two yrs ago with a catastrophic litany of injuries and operations and no-one at CB level can link training to injury because all focus is on the Holy Grail. The scheduling of matches is unfathomable and competitions that are to be played without county players are deferred as officials use influence to avoid their  clubs having to field. Players in the county panel exist in a cocoon wherby they only play in internal A v B games. When X roasts Keith Higgins (for example) in an internal game it is given huge significance as opposed to X showing that week in week out he is better than the average in club football.
As Kenneth Mortimer ( hardly a CB patsy) has pointed out the players may have cut off their nose to spite their face unless there is a manager of high calibre available to them. While I have great sympathy for the outgoing management I have to admire the single-mindedness of the players. BUT what happens if it backfires. Kerry went a decade without success after the disintegration of the 70s/80s team.
If we don't mind the house we face the same outcome.

Farrandeelin

One of the best posts on this thread in a long while. That post encapsulates my worries about the future of Mayo football.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

DuffleKing

I disagree that the players' actions mean the next incumbent must cross the all Ireland threshold immediately.

I would have thought it is fairly obvious that the players feel strongly that previous management are not going to facilitate the team playing to their maximum next year or in 3 years if left in charge for the short or medium term.

Whether they win an all Ireland or not,  surely this is motivated by trying to create the best environment they can to compete and continue to excel - which they hitherto have done

Hound

I don't buy that this puts extra pressure on Mayo.

With the Leinster and Munster winners in opposite halves of the draw, 2016 will be a failure for Mayo unless they reach the All Ireland final (perhaps you could say the same for Tyrone and Donegal too). So no matter who the Mayo manager is, Mayo will be under pressure to reach the final next year, and no matter who the manager is they'd be underdogs in a final against Kerry or Dublin.

Rightly or wrongly (although I'm not sure players are the best judges) the Mayo lads think a change in management will help them deal with the pressure of meeting the expectations of getting to a final, and exceeding expectations by winning when they get there.

PW Nally

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 07, 2015, 09:21:17 AM

I disagree that the players' actions mean the next incumbent must cross the all Ireland threshold immediately.

I would have thought it is fairly obvious that the players feel strongly that previous management are not going to facilitate the team playing to their maximum next year or in 3 years if left in charge for the short or medium term.

Whether they win an all Ireland or not,  surely this is motivated by trying to create the best environment they can to compete and continue to excel - which they hitherto have done
+1
Sometimes the simplest explanation is the most accurate.

Shrewdness

Duffleking, you mention that Mayo can '' continue to excel''.  But they only '' excel '' up to a certain point. They always find one team too good for them each year. This year it was Dublin, as it was in 2013.. When Dublin had a down year in 2014, Kerry took the honours. In 2012, when Kerry and Dublin both dipped, Donegal proved too good for Mayo.. So, they only '' excel '' up to a certain point. Without taking anything away from what they have achieved, Mayo get a big help every year from the standard of Connacht Football. They are practically guaranteed an AIQF every year. This is not Mayo's fault, but they benefit in a huge way from the way that Connacht has gone..When it comes to winning an All Ireland, there's only one ingredient missing in Mayo, but haven't got a clue what it is. Referees, Management and Co Board can only take so much blame. The missing ingredient is missing ON the pitch. If they ever find out what is, Mayo can still win a few All Irelands. But this team is running out of time.