Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayo.mick

Plenty to say in the western today  ;)
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Shrewdness

moysider

Quote from: mayo.mick on October 06, 2015, 12:28:10 AM

Balanced presentation overall in Western today. Deliberate imo. John Maughan  was ultra Management and Hennigan  questioned players stance. The editor put the blame firmly on the Board. Gallagher was philosophical and did his job but probably knows more than most. Horan was the height of being realistic.
Surprised by Maughan's reactionary stance ( even if he is mates with H&C). He obviously has no wish to manage this team after that.

joemamas

Quote from: moysider on October 06, 2015, 12:50:57 AM
Quote from: mayo.mick on October 06, 2015, 12:28:10 AM

Balanced presentation overall in Western today. Deliberate imo. John Maughan  was ultra Management and Hennigan  questioned players stance. The editor put the blame firmly on the Board. Gallagher was philosophical and did his job but probably knows more than most. Horan was the height of being realistic.
Surprised by Maughan's reactionary stance ( even if he is mates with H&C). He obviously has no wish to manage this team after that.

After listening to radio replay from Saturday, your last line was first thing that came into my head.
Thankfully he will not be manager for quite a while.

Farrandeelin

He'll probably get the u21 gig though >:(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rrhf

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 06, 2015, 12:24:55 AM
How long before Horan's reappointed? If/when he returns, things could be different from before. It's like reuniting with an ex girlfriend. Somehow, it never seems the same, second time around.
Aye no messing straight to the point.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 06, 2015, 06:40:09 AM
Why wouldn't he get the U-21 job. Surely he is the best qualified of the three candidates proposed?

Chimley

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 06, 2015, 06:40:09 AM

That will be a disaster for our prospects. Can't see any of the senior panellists wanting to play for him and probably many more than that too.

Lar Naparka

I'm going way against my better judgement by referring to McGee and anything he writes but since was he has to say is more or less what the anti—players brigade are putting out, I think this article needs to be challenged.
He may not be much of an investigative journalist but, as a creative one, he's way out there in front of the rest.
For instance, before he got steam up, this was his second paragraph:

"Here we have an unelected body of GAA people undermining the authority of the Mayo county board by ousting their managers. And to add insult to injury they did not apparently have the courtesy to inform the managers, the county board, nor the Mayo GAA supporters of the reasons for their behaviour."

The tension began when the appointment of Connelly and Holmes was announced.
They were not selected using the democratic process that CB had pledged to operate.
The board did not follow its own guidelines when handing the job to the two boys. Note the word "apparently."  He hadn't a clue  of what had happened  yet he went on to write about 20 more paragraphs attacking the players' stance.
He assumes a lot here:
"With no information coming from the Mayo players recently we are entitled to accept that they believe it is the managements of the teams in this period that are responsible for their catalogue of failure and, by definition, that must mean that the players themselves believe they are not the cause of the failures."
He's entitled to believe sweet FA  if he doesn't make any attempt to find out if what he says is true or not.

Damian Lawlor's article in the Sindo the day before had described what really took place.

Pat and Noel knew days before the story broke that the players were unhappy with their performance but they still refused to resign. They could have walked away with the general public  unaware of their reasons but they decided not to. Hence, the public row,
which was not what the players were looking for.

Colm O'Rourke was nearly as bad. He two  posed two questions in the Sindo ; "Could the management be blamed for Keith Higgins, the best Mayo player of his era, getting scorched by Paddy Andrews...Or Aidan O'Shea not performing in two big games."

Of course the managers were to blame, how could it be otherwise?

It was up to them to see what was happening on the field and to make substitutions or positional changes or whatever if they saw things were going wrong. Who the hell else had the responsibility to do so?
I couldn't imagine Jim Gavin turning a blind eye to proceedings if  Cooper or McMahon were getting roasted- or any other manager of any sort either.
Yet we had not one but two managers who saw nothing wrong. 
Aidan O'Shea? Was it this fault that he was left on his own with two or three Dubs defenders hanging out if him every time the ball came his way?

With friends like McGee and ORourke, Noel and Pat will never be short of enemies.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mac2

Quote from: moysider on October 06, 2015, 12:14:00 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 05, 2015, 10:57:01 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/eugene-mcgee-mayo-mutiny-prompts-the-question-of-whos-dictating-the-search-for-new-boss-31582099.html

"We know that largely the same Mayo panel have taken part in seven All-Ireland semi-finals in the past five years and managed to win just two. They have played in two All-Ireland finals and lost both, which means that out of nine high-grade national competition games Mayo have won TWO and failed to win SEVEN.

Never in the history of the GAA has a county played in as many semi-finals and finals over such a condensed period without winning even one All-Ireland. It is important to stress this fact, and the recent history of Mayo, in order to put in context what has led up to these latest developments."

On

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/eugene-mcgee-talks-to-paul-kimmage-i-find-it-hard-to-think-of-myself-as-anything-other-than-ordinary-31454305.htmle of McGee's insights I really like is the following :

EMcG: A lot of the matches are shite, but the worst of all is having to write the column in wintertime. I sit down every Saturday night and say, 'What am I going to write here?'. I'm 30 years writing columns now, for God's sake! And some of the stuff I write on Monday is pure shite."

I know that McGee is gospel with a lot of football people. But he's a gobshite of the highest order imo. Same Mayo panel my hole. It doesn t matter a damn. He was shafting us in 00s, 90s, and 80s as well. He was even 'nasty' about Mayo players that played for him and won him Sigersons back in the 70's. f**k him.
McGee has form here for sure, never had much good to say about us, he always had more time for our Connacht neighbours for some reason. What does he care he has a handy article all ready to go next year if Mayo exit, maybe he'll resurrect his god awful Larry McGann for the purpose, bile-ridden b****x.

Syferus

Quote from: Mac2 on October 06, 2015, 10:05:45 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/eugene-mcgee-mayo-mutiny-prompts-the-question-of-whos-dictating-the-search-for-new-boss-31582099.html

"We know that largely the same Mayo panel have taken part in seven All-Ireland semi-finals in the past five years and managed to win just two. They have played in two All-Ireland finals and lost both, which means that out of nine high-grade national competition games Mayo have won TWO and failed to win SEVEN.

Never in the history of the GAA has a county played in as many semi-finals and finals over such a condensed period without winning even one All-Ireland. It is important to stress this fact, and the recent history of Mayo, in order to put in context what has led up to these latest developments."

On

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/eugene-mcgee-talks-to-paul-kimmage-i-find-it-hard-to-think-of-myself-as-anything-other-than-ordinary-31454305.htmle of McGee's insights I really like is the following :

EMcG: A lot of the matches are shite, but the worst of all is having to write the column in wintertime. I sit down every Saturday night and say, 'What am I going to write here?'. I'm 30 years writing columns now, for God's sake! And some of the stuff I write on Monday is pure shite."

I know that McGee is gospel with a lot of football people. But he's a gobshite of the highest order imo. Same Mayo panel my hole. It doesn t matter a damn. He was shafting us in 00s, 90s, and 80s as well. He was even 'nasty' about Mayo players that played for him and won him Sigersons back in the 70's. f**k him.
McGee has form here for sure, never had much good to say about us, he always had more time for our Connacht neighbours for some reason. What does he care he has a handy article all ready to go next year if Mayo exit, maybe he'll resurrect his god awful Larry McGann for the purpose, bile-ridden b****x.

Which neighbours because he doesn't like us much either.

macdanger2

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 06, 2015, 10:01:09 AM
I'm going way against my better judgement by referring to McGee and anything he writes but since was he has to say is more or less what the anti—players brigade are putting out, I think this article needs to be challenged.
He may not be much of an investigative journalist but, as a creative one, he's way out there in front of the rest.
For instance, before he got steam up, this was his second paragraph:

"Here we have an unelected body of GAA people undermining the authority of the Mayo county board by ousting their managers. And to add insult to injury they did not apparently have the courtesy to inform the managers, the county board, nor the Mayo GAA supporters of the reasons for their behaviour."

The tension began when the appointment of Connelly and Holmes was announced.
They were not selected using the democratic process that CB had pledged to operate.
The board did not follow its own guidelines when handing the job to the two boys. Note the word "apparently."  He hadn't a clue  of what had happened  yet he went on to write about 20 more paragraphs attacking the players' stance.
He assumes a lot here:
"With no information coming from the Mayo players recently we are entitled to accept that they believe it is the managements of the teams in this period that are responsible for their catalogue of failure and, by definition, that must mean that the players themselves believe they are not the cause of the failures."
He's entitled to believe sweet FA  if he doesn't make any attempt to find out if what he says is true or not.

Damian Lawlor's article in the Sindo the day before had described what really took place.

Pat and Noel knew days before the story broke that the players were unhappy with their performance but they still refused to resign. They could have walked away with the general public  unaware of their reasons but they decided not to. Hence, the public row,
which was not what the players were looking for.

Colm O'Rourke was nearly as bad. He two  posed two questions in the Sindo ; "Could the management be blamed for Keith Higgins, the best Mayo player of his era, getting scorched by Paddy Andrews...Or Aidan O'Shea not performing in two big games."

Of course the managers were to blame, how could it be otherwise?

It was up to them to see what was happening on the field and to make substitutions or positional changes or whatever if they saw things were going wrong. Who the hell else had the responsibility to do so?
I couldn't imagine Jim Gavin turning a blind eye to proceedings if  Cooper or McMahon were getting roasted- or any other manager of any sort either.
Yet we had not one but two managers who saw nothing wrong. 
Aidan O'Shea? Was it this fault that he was left on his own with two or three Dubs defenders hanging out if him every time the ball came his way?

With friends like McGee and ORourke, Noel and Pat will never be short of enemies.

Well said Lar.

I've mentioned this a few times on here but just to repeat it - on O'Rourkes point above, Higgins was taken for 2 points against Andrews, not 5; and while AOS only scored 1 point from play in the two Dublin games, he won 7 pointed frees.

Mac2

Quote from: Syferus on October 06, 2015, 10:47:32 AM

On

Naw he loves ye guys he'll be all decked out in primrose and blue next year to see off the red and green infidels.

galwayman

I assume you are referring to us there?
Not quite sure where you get that idea from.
He absolutely slated Galway after the drawn Connacht final in 98.
And I recall other articles written about us late 90s/early noughties where he was less than complimentary.
Anyway I wouldn't be in the least worried what he says about you.
Total dinosaur

weareros

Quote from: Mac2 on October 06, 2015, 11:51:54 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 06, 2015, 10:47:32 AM

On

Naw he loves ye guys he'll be all decked out in primrose and blue next year to see off the red and green infidels.

I think he has a bit of a soft spot for counties with smaller populations given that he is from one and was the last manager to win a football All-Ireland with a county with a small population. Indeed, I recall him writing an article many years ago that he did not think that would be ever possible again- he listed counties like Ros, Cavan, Offaly, that despite their tradition, would be unlikely to ever win again because of population bases under 60k . That said, his articles are full of errors, like when he wrote recently that Holmes and Connolly were the last men to win a football All-Ireland for Mayo with the U21 in 2006 even thought they won a minor All-Ireland as little as 2 years ago.