Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Quote from: dferg on October 03, 2015, 12:35:43 AM
Mayo remind me a bit of the guys from the end of dumb and dumber where they say if we keep our eyes peeled we will catch our break eventually.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sLB-uMPj27s

Horan is a great manager and brought them from no where in 2010 to contenders every year but I think they missed there best chance in 2014. They had 2 chances and didn't figure out that Donaghy is a special case and they needed a big man to mark him e.g. Barry Moran.  If they stopped Donaghy by breaking any ball round him they would have won fairly comfortable and probably would have beat Donegal.  This year they had a harder draw but they found themselves 5 up with 15 to go and didn't know how to kill the game. Donegal in the same position the year before got everyone back and suckered punched Dublin every time they over committed going forward. Mayo need to take one of there chances soon or they could easily miss the boat with this team.
The boat has sailed. Mayo 2017 maybe.

criostlinn

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 03, 2015, 12:45:01 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on October 03, 2015, 12:33:26 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on October 02, 2015, 11:11:57 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 02, 2015, 10:44:09 PM

As a footnote, Mayo (IMHO) don't actually have defensive problems. I'd even suggest they've a better defence man-for-man than any team in Ireland. The only teams that even slightly trouble their defence are those littered with star forwards. This is not a problem, it's what should happen. Mayo's problems are at the other end. Their defence will always give give them a chance. Their attacking play does not.
They don't? it was clear in the Connacht championship this year against Galway and Sligo that they had defensive problems. On average Mayo have conceded two goals per game in the championship over the last four years. The last four All Ireland winners Kerry,Donegal,Dublin twice were all solid defensively Mayo (IMHO) were not.

You see this right here. This is a nothing but the typical nonsense you see from some lads on this board. This is a man who was listening to Joe Brolly one day and as Joe was in full flow someone came in to offer him a cup of tea. He picked up some of Joe's bullshit but has made a total hames of rehashing it as his own on this board
I don't listen or read the views of Joe Brolly. If he said something similar he would probably be right on this rare occasion.

No. Even Joe isn't that daft to suggest Mayo have conceded an average of two goals per game for the past four years.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 03, 2015, 12:52:47 AM
Quote from: dferg on October 03, 2015, 12:35:43 AM
Mayo remind me a bit of the guys from the end of dumb and dumber where they say if we keep our eyes peeled we will catch our break eventually.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sLB-uMPj27s

Horan is a great manager and brought them from no where in 2010 to contenders every year but I think they missed there best chance in 2014. They had 2 chances and didn't figure out that Donaghy is a special case and they needed a big man to mark him e.g. Barry Moran.  If they stopped Donaghy by breaking any ball round him they would have won fairly comfortable and probably would have beat Donegal.  This year they had a harder draw but they found themselves 5 up with 15 to go and didn't know how to kill the game. Donegal in the same position the year before got everyone back and suckered punched Dublin every time they over committed going forward. Mayo need to take one of there chances soon or they could easily miss the boat with this team.
The boat has sailed. Mayo 2017 maybe.

Dunno about that.  Clear path to the final next year without having to face Dublin/Kerry.   If all goes to form, would only have to beat one of those.  Next year is a great chance, which might have something to do with the players wanting to get the right management structure in place now.

moysider

A lot depends on what happens now. What happened a year ago meant that this year could be messy and it ended up very messy indeed.

I know a few lads - one in particular that contributes here regularly - that said that the worst scenario for 2015, was we would win Connacht and lose a semi with some honour and the year would be regarded as a decent one. In that event management would have grounds to continue. That is what happened. In effect this was a waste of a year but it could have been worse. The players could have been brow beaten into continuing with a dysfunctional management.

Maybe the boat has sailed. We were told it sailed in '12, '13 and '14 before. I'm not optimistic but we ll see. I do know I was hopeless before both semis this year. My despair was not about our defence or lack of scoring forwards either. The stuff uninformed neutrals harp on about.

Tonight's development is not the end of this affair. It's just the beginning.

Blowitupref

Quote from: criostlinn on October 03, 2015, 01:12:38 AM
No. Even Joe isn't that daft to suggest Mayo have conceded an average of two goals per game for the past four years.
I suppose you are daft enough to judge Mayo defensive stats within Connacht? In the All Ireland series the last four years Mayo have conceded 18 goals which rounds off as average of two goals conceded per game.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2015, 01:17:45 AM
A lot depends on what happens now. What happened a year ago meant that this year could be messy and it ended up very messy indeed.

I know a few lads - one in particular that contributes here regularly - that said that the worst scenario for 2015, was we would win Connacht and lose a semi with some honour and the year would be regarded as a decent one. In that event management would have grounds to continue. That is what happened. In effect this was a waste of a year but it could have been worse. The players could have been brow beaten into continuing with a dysfunctional management.

Maybe the boat has sailed. We were told it sailed in '12, '13 and '14 before. I'm not optimistic but we ll see. I do know I was hopeless before both semis this year. My despair was not about our defence or lack of scoring forwards either. The stuff uninformed neutrals harp on about.

Is there the money left for any manager to make a realistic challenge for Sam though, Moy? The cost of success has never been higher than it is now. Could it be that the panel have unrealistic expectations for what any management team can provide them after five heavy-spending years?

manfromdelmonte

I'd break the bank and go for Jack O'Connor

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on October 03, 2015, 02:21:38 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2015, 01:17:45 AM

Is there the money left for any manager to make a realistic challenge for Sam though, Moy? The cost of success has never been higher than it is now. Could it be that the panel have unrealistic expectations for what any management team can provide them after five heavy-spending years?

Obvious faux concern there. I'm being honest here, ye haven't a hope and that is all you're really lookin for is a bit of hope that Mayo will collapse . Despite all the negativity , Mayo will be back as determined and hungrier than ever in 16 and don't be overly concerned about the lolly , there are quite a few Mayo men with deep pockets around the globe who can be tapped into albeit some of the dinosaurs who haven't a clue how to go about that need to go along with their biscuit tin.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Shrewdness

It's remarkable to see the amount of Mayo people, not just on here, but elsewhere, who believe that next year, Mayo have '' a clear path to the final''.. There's no such thing.. Hypothetically speaking, what if Galway were to beat Mayo, by even one point, next summer in Castlebar?? Then, you're talking the back door route, where strange things happen........As for Mayo's finances, it was said that this year, the players' expenses were reduced, and that Horan had always argued the players' case to the Co Board, much better than H/C were doing. Things may have slipped a bit on the medical side as well.. Might all explain why Mc Stay was '' too dear'' for them 12 months ago.

larryin89

Wow wow, f u c k o f f Rossies will ya . See ye in the Hyde for the league game .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

redhandefender

Crazy situation! who the hell do mayo think they are? easy route to the final. Aye easy route to the final and get thumped by dublin or kerry again.

Players should be ashamed. they have certainly lost my neutral vote hope they go out early doord

criostlinn

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 03, 2015, 02:06:47 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on October 03, 2015, 01:12:38 AM
I suppose you are daft enough to judge Mayo defensive stats within Connacht? In the All Ireland series the last four years Mayo have conceded 18 goals which rounds off as average of two goals conceded per game.

Oh so you're ruling out the Connacht matches now. Well you were the one that mentioned the Galway and Sligo matches. But thats the kinda stuff Joe gets upto. Just take out half the matches to get the figures to suit a bit better. Im still confused. How do you get an average of two goal per game. 18 goals in 12 matches.
Here I'll make it easier for you. How about we go something like against the top teams (of course you get to select these teams) Or maybe in All-Ireland finals.

Just

Lar Naparka

Quote from: redhandefender on October 03, 2015, 09:01:59 AM
Crazy situation! who the hell do mayo think they are? easy route to the final. Aye easy route to the final and get thumped by dublin or kerry again.

Players should be ashamed. they have certainly lost my neutral vote hope they go out early doord

I imagine that they will be completely gutted when they find out what you think of them, Oh, and doord to you also.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 03, 2015, 08:30:18 AM
It's remarkable to see the amount of Mayo people, not just on here, but elsewhere, who believe that next year, Mayo have '' a clear path to the final''.. There's no such thing.. Hypothetically speaking, what if Galway were to beat Mayo, by even one point, next summer in Castlebar?? Then, you're talking the back door route, where strange things happen........As for Mayo's finances, it was said that this year, the players' expenses were reduced, and that Horan had always argued the players' case to the Co Board, much better than H/C were doing. Things may have slipped a bit on the medical side as well.. Might all explain why Mc Stay was '' too dear'' for them 12 months ago.
Agree with your assessment of 'no clear path to the final'. Mayo have to tread very carefully next year, or else some team will beat us before the final. As you said the backdoor can be full of surprises, and Mayo haven't done too well out of it either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Provincial draws 15th October I believe.
Ye can figure out the handy path to the AI Final then. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM