Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cicfada

So obviously the two boys are the only obstacle to mayo winning an all Ireland?? How about finding another few forwards for a start??the pressure on Rochford now will be immense, assuming he gets the job of course!! And that's not even mentioning the pressure that the players have heaped on themselves as well! Good luck to mayo but if they couldn't win under Horan, then I doubt they'll do it under Rochford even if he did win the club ai title with corofin!! Then again he did have good forwards there. Anyone else in the running, any other dark horses??

brokencrossbar1

The question I wonder is who the f**k would manage them now. Have they got their super manager lined up?  What happens if they don't win the AI next year, or the year after, or the year after?  I read there that the Mayo players did the same in 92 and they got battered the following year by 20 points!

Shrewdness

Have to admit that i feel sorry for Holmes and Connelly. Two good Mayo Gaa men, family men, effectively hounded out of their management role after just one year, despite leading an All Ireland semi final replay with 15 mins to go..Over now to the  players to show everyone how it should be done.

Tubberman

Lads, it's not accurate to say Mayo have to win the All-Ireland next year or this whole episode will have been proven as a huge mistake.
The players didn't win under Horan and didn't force him out.
But obviously they felt the preparation this year was far below the standard required. And if they didn't win with Horan, they certainly weren't going to under H&C. So to keep going with the status quo was to waste their time. There's a possibility that they could still do it next year, but they need to have top mgmt team in place. They are being selfish because they are ambitious.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

Good that the two lads have gone

I doubt the players have someone specific in mind (even if they do, it shouldn't be their call) but I'd say they have a clear idea of the level of professionalism required from the new setup. It's about the process being right and if it is, the new man will get plenty of time.

cicfada

Did they really regress that much with H & C though ?? They lost a replay to the all Ireland winners, same as last year!! Every team is ambitious I would say but to think these guys know what it takes to win an all Ireland is highly dubious. Maybe these lads know of another forward or two that could take them there. Because that's what's been missing imho . We'll wait to see who becomes manager I guess, he has a job on his hands!!

Rossfan

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 02, 2015, 09:49:55 PM
Good that the two lads have gone

I doubt the players have someone specific in mind (even if they do, it shouldn't be their call) but I'd say they have a clear idea of the level of professionalism required from the new setup. It's about the process being right and if it is, the new man will get plenty of time.
Pity our players didn't kick up in 2012.
H and C had no choice but to go as they'd " lost the dressing room" no matter who was right, wrong or to blame.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

regal

Fair play to Holmes / Connelly for walking away. God help the next manager. Perhaps only Jim mcGuinness could deliver an all Ireland to group of talented but undoubtedly stupid footballers.

Farrandeelin

Fair play to the two for resigning is right. They're Mayomen at the end of the day and knew the game was up and didn't want this saga dragging out too long. So after the mutiny who will come in?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: regal on October 02, 2015, 10:26:59 PM
Fair play to Holmes / Connelly for walking away. God help the next manager. Perhaps only Jim mcGuinness could deliver an all Ireland to group of talented but undoubtedly stupid footballers.

Good man yourself
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

Just read it there now, good, well-measured statement from Pat & Noel

Captain Obvious

Quote from: cicfada on October 02, 2015, 09:57:25 PM
Did they really regress that much with H & C though ?? They lost a replay to the all Ireland winners, same as last year!! Every team is ambitious I would say but to think these guys know what it takes to win an all Ireland is highly dubious. Maybe these lads know of another forward or two that could take them there. Because that's what's been missing imho . We'll wait to see who becomes manager I guess, he has a job on his hands!!
More than scoring forwards from play they need, will the next Mayo management be able to sort out the defensive issues that the last two managements couldn't?

mayo.mick

Whats this all about?

Kiltimagh GAA
‏@KiltimaghGAA
Sad sad day for Mayo football. Bad move by Mayo players We will continue to support them but with a heavy heart. @MayoGAA
10:15 PM - 2 Oct 2015
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

thewobbler

I have to say I'm a massive fan of this generation of Mayo footballers. In some aspects of the game - tackling, midfield exchanges, athleticism - they're as good as any team I've ever seen, and they tend to swat off inferior opposition in the way top class sides really should. They're a truly relentless shower of b**tards once their tails are up.

And once Parsons emerged (re-emerged) this year I was so impressed with how they addressed their full-forward line problems by committing Aidan O'Shea to a role where he'll only touch the ball maybe 10-12 times in game. It actually takes a lot of balls to take the heartbeat of your team and use him, in effect, as a limb.

But, particularly in game 1 vs Dublin, it was a bit disconcerting that the team seemed so determined that he had to be option 1, 2 and 3. They made him a "limb" but were determined to keep him as the "heart". It was plain wrong. Mayo's athleticism means that they will routinely wreck just about anyone by simply running at opposition. The problem they've faced against the cream of the crop in recent years is that those big opponents also happen to be athletic, and tended to push Mayo down blind alleys.  So Mayo needed variation. They needed a long ball option. But rather than accept that AOS touching the ball 6-8 times in a game would keep every opponent on their toes and probably provide the variation they need to floor anyone, for some reason they felt the need to kick every last feckin ball at him.

And as a result, Philly McMahon is now the best player in Ireland. He didn't have to concentrate, he just had to reply to the onslaught of crap ball.

Anyway, it would seem that the Mayo players are putting this problem at the feet of the management. Well, here's my beef. The players are the ones who kick those balls (most of them weren't passes), and if players as experienced and influential as Keith Higgins, Colm Boyle, Lee Keegan, Seamus O'Shea and Kevin McLoughlin choose to inanely follow this tactic, then they shouldn't have any say in who should be managing their team. They should be looking hard and long at themselves, not their mentors.

Genuinely I hope this works out for Mayo; at this point in my life I'd almost rather they win an All-Ireland than Down. But having watched experienced Mayo players make decisions and follow a script, in that game, that would have upset me greatly if they had have done it for me at Junior B level, I'm not sure we're ever going to see it. Not with this bunch.

- - -

As a footnote, Mayo (IMHO) don't actually have defensive problems. I'd even suggest they've a better defence man-for-man than any team in Ireland. The only teams that even slightly trouble their defence are those littered with star forwards. This is not a problem, it's what should happen. Mayo's problems are at the other end. Their defence will always give give them a chance. Their attacking play does not.

Ballaghman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 02, 2015, 10:42:05 PM
Quote from: cicfada on October 02, 2015, 09:57:25 PM
More than scoring forwards from play they need, will the next Mayo management be able to sort out the defensive issues that the last two managements couldn't?
Well that's the idea isn't it. These two lads clearly didn't know how to. They're preparation was a level below what Horan provided so they had to go. Saying the players have to win the AI next year is missing the point. The players were certain they could not win it with these lads. The replay game was a shambles and the next management must have a better defensive structure in place along with improving pre match preparation. All of the above is more important than finding new forwards.