Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on October 02, 2015, 04:10:20 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 02, 2015, 03:50:38 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 02, 2015, 03:34:32 PM
Quote from: StephenC on October 02, 2015, 02:57:50 PM
I'm assuming that the Mayo players had someone in mind as a manager when they made this move. Surely they wouldn't have taken this step without having a good idea of who would come in instead? Could they have already made contact with Horan and got some reassurances that if the way was clear, he would come back?

When a manager loses the dressing room, e.g. in English soccer, is it always incumbent on the players to have a new manager 'in mind'?

No but then again in soccer, players don't generally take a vote and present it to the owners of the club demanding that the management be removed. At least if it has happened I've never heard of it.

No, but then again in soccer, the players just get their agents to agitate against the manager in the media.

Soccer players are owned by the Club! They are employees of the Club tied by a contract! That is their profession. They are professionals. Their Manager is full time and paid by the club. They have to do what their Manager and owners tell them.

Gaelic players are free agents. They offer their trade at an expenses rate. They are not tied to a contract. They can walk away any time. Gaelic intercounty players are no different to Gaelic club players, if they have problems with the Manager/Coach they can do/say something about it. 

What has happened in Mayo happens with a lot of County Boards across the country. Most of the time players sit on their hands and accept their fate under an incompetent regime for another year. Other times the coach is quietly removed before a Mutiny. In this case we have County Chairman a brother of one of the joint managers. So there has to be an extra push in this case. That added to the high profile of the team at the moment makes this fiasco a Journalists dream.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 02, 2015, 06:28:59 PM
Lar, i heard that the vote took place on the Saturday before last, 27-7..Higgins and O'Connor had to wait a week to meet H/C as Connelly was out of the country on a family holiday. He wasn't long home last Sunday when the four met and the players decision was relayed by the players..Someone on management/CO board side of the fence leaking info.

That's the problem - someone in a position to know is deliberately attempting to shove a spanner in the works.  Right now, it doesn't suit either party to have details being leaked to the media, bit by bit.
As I see it, it doesn't suit Laurel and Hardy to have everybody know that at least 27 of the payers in their squad want to get rid of them and I can't see any reason why any of the players involved want  the way he voted to be known to everyone.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

heffo

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 02, 2015, 08:36:02 PM
I'm assuming that the Mayo players had someone in mind as a manager when they made this move. Surely they wouldn't have taken this step without having a good idea of who would come in instead? Could they have already made contact with Horan and got some reassurances that if the way was clear, he would come back?

When a manager loses the dressing room, e.g. in English soccer, is it always incumbent on the players to have a new manager 'in mind'?

No but then again in soccer, players don't generally take a vote and present it to the owners of the club demanding that the management be removed. At least if it has happened I've never heard of it.

No, but then again in soccer, the players just get their agents to agitate against the manager in the media.
Gaelic intercounty players are no different to Gaelic club players

Not true in the strictest sense - if an IC players refuses to make themselves available for IC games then they could be suspended from club activity.

muppet

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 02, 2015, 07:30:21 PM
Jack O`Shea says he takes you`s, Back to pushing the cars in the carpark lads lol

Jacko wasn't the manager for the car pushing episode.
MWWSI 2017

Erne Man

The Mayo players must have a plan B, and I'd be surprised if it was Horan. From the outside it looks as if the players have decided to take control of things, and an intelligent group like that will have a strong candidate lined up and their availability teased out.
2016 is a huge carrot for Mayo - all Ireland final place up for grabs without having to face Dublin or Kerry until they get there.
Time to call in a bit of the ex-pat money and make the big call. I'm sure Tony McEntee could be persuaded west for a couple of years - he might only need one.

screenexile

Quote from: heffo on October 02, 2015, 08:42:11 PM

Not true in the strictest sense - if an IC players refuses to make themselves available for IC games then they could be suspended from club activity.

Surely that can't be true??

Syferus

Quote from: Erne Man on October 02, 2015, 08:52:40 PM
The Mayo players must have a plan B, and I'd be surprised if it was Horan. From the outside it looks as if the players have decided to take control of things, and an intelligent group like that will have a strong candidate lined up and their availability teased out.
2016 is a huge carrot for Mayo - all Ireland final place up for grabs without having to face Dublin or Kerry until they get there.
Time to call in a bit of the ex-pat money and make the big call. I'm sure Tony McEntee could be persuaded west for a couple of years - he might only need one.

Mayo are more tapped out on the funds front than a UFC fighter. This show has been on the road five years already and there's still a meaty loan on McHale to repay.

This team's chance has probably passed. The players will be the last ones to realise where they are themselves so if the Mayo board will let them choose the next man themselves they're even more incompetent than they have appeared thus far.

FL/MAYO

On Mayo Gaa Twitter account that the managers have resigned.
http://www.mayogaa.com/news/366628/statement_re:mayo_senior_football_team

heffo

Quote from: screenexile on October 02, 2015, 09:08:58 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 02, 2015, 08:42:11 PM

Surely that can't be true??

It's in the Official guide..

muppet

Quote from: FL/MAYO on October 02, 2015, 09:11:24 PM

I know Pat and he is a very decent guy, as I am sure Noel is.

But resigning was the right thing to do.

MWWSI 2017

heffo

Now that there was a quick resolution to it, is anyone going to expand on the specific issues around preparation etc that led to the players dissatisfaction?

sans pessimism

Quote from: heffo on October 02, 2015, 09:28:06 PM
Now that there was a quick resolution to it, is anyone going to expand on the specific issues around preparation etc that led to the players dissatisfaction?
no
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Captain Obvious

Quote from: FL/MAYO on October 02, 2015, 09:11:24 PM
we wish to remove any obstacle that the players might perceive as preventing them from winning the All-Ireland.

Any ideas on what obstacle this was? The next manager must win the All Ireland next year or he will also be forced to resign?

heffo

Quote from: sans pessimism on October 02, 2015, 09:30:10 PM
no

Were there 25 fellas queued up soloing out to a cone and hand passing it back to the man waiting?

muppet

Quote from: heffo on October 02, 2015, 09:33:59 PM
Quote from: sans pessimism on October 02, 2015, 09:30:10 PM
no

Were there 25 fellas queued up soloing out to a cone and hand passing it back to the man waiting?

Even the cone voted against them.
MWWSI 2017