Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: maigheo on October 01, 2015, 12:01:07 AM
As was said before McStay wanted to be compensated for his Sunday game gig which was never going to fly with the huge debts the Mayo county board have.For me if McStay truly wanted the job he should have left  out his comp. for the Sunday game and even then he may not have got the job but at least he would have got to the interview process.He may well turn out to be a very good manager but to say that if he got the Mayo job we would be all ireland champs is fairy tale stuff.
It was said indeed but who said it?
There are or were lots of rumours flying around then and most were started by Paddy. For instance, didn't he say that what McStay was looking for was unbelievable and left it at that? He was the one who said the players didn't want McHale but, since the players didn't have a say in the appointment process,  what they may or may not have thought of McHale didn't come into the reckoning.
Furthermore, McStay never said, in public anyway, that he wanted compensation if he had to give up his work with RTE We're going by the spin from the board for this.
Now that McStay has gone over to the dark side, he must have looked for the same arrangements with the sheep Roscommon board. They don't appear to have the same financial resources as Mayo and yet they  had no issues with his proposals when he was interviewed.
I think McStay did the right thing and moved on as there was nothing to be gained by getting into a dogfight with Paddy or Mike or any of that compromised crew.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Tubberman on September 30, 2015, 09:27:07 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 30, 2015, 09:04:07 PM
Quote from: shark on September 30, 2015, 08:38:04 PM
Quote from: Chimley on September 30, 2015, 07:59:38 PM
I can't believe that the players have embarked on this course of action without a couple of moves ahead worked out in advance. I'd say that they will next put a gun to the county boards head, threatening to pull out of the squad en masse unless they get new management with guarantees of higher level of preparation/coaching/medical etc. They may not have any say in names but the likes of Rochford might be acceptable to both sides.

Rochford is the obvious choice. With Buckley alongside. Spoke to a couple of the Corofin lads, before they won their all-Ireland, and they said his level of preparation both on themselves and opposition was like nothing they'd ever seen. Seems to be exactly what the Mayo players feel the current setup is lacking.

K-Mac was the obvious choice last year too Shark.

No he wasn't. I know you're excited but he's not proven at senior intercounty level. Neither mgmt team on offer last year stood out

Glad to hear someone else say what seems obvious to me. The more time goes on, the more it feels like I've stepped into a parallel universe where Kevin McStay is the most sought-after manager in Ireland.
On the basis of what? One club All-Ireland with a team that was on the brink of it before?
I remember the first time I heard talk of McStay as an IC manager, I thought it was a bit absurd. His reputation has grown and grown while he's done nothing. The same syndrome that saw Andy Reid grow into some kind of soccer messiah in the minds of Irish fans a few years back.
My prediction is that his reputation will diminish fairly quickly once he actually has to manage a team and deal with the knee-jerk reaction to every result.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 01, 2015, 12:58:46 AM
Three more of the 7 players who voted to keep H/C, have been named by media in Mayo. They're 'believed' to be Tom Parsons, Andy Moran and Mark Ronaldson.

Can you tell us who are the media in Mayo who named these three players, and where they named them?

No offence now Shrew, but there's a fierce 'smell of shite' off those three Musketeers.

maigheo

Reading Eugene McGees colum in the sindo about the Mayo situation nearly made me weep.How can some one so misinformed have a job writing for a main newspaper is beyond me.Anybody with half a brain can see that the Players dissatisfaction is with the  overall preparation of the team during the year and not soley the defeat to Dublin.I also see that the Telegraph have released 3 more names of players who they think voted no to the no confidence vote of H and C.This is completely wrong and is putting undue pressure on amateur sportsmen and of course they have not a quote to back up there claims

Syferus

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on October 01, 2015, 01:29:27 AM
I can't believe that the players have embarked on this course of action without a couple of moves ahead worked out in advance. I'd say that they will next put a gun to the county boards head, threatening to pull out of the squad en masse unless they get new management with guarantees of higher level of preparation/coaching/medical etc. They may not have any say in names but the likes of Rochford might be acceptable to both sides.

Rochford is the obvious choice. With Buckley alongside. Spoke to a couple of the Corofin lads, before they won their all-Ireland, and they said his level of preparation both on themselves and opposition was like nothing they'd ever seen. Seems to be exactly what the Mayo players feel the current setup is lacking.

No he wasn't. I know you're excited but he's not proven at senior intercounty level. Neither mgmt team on offer last year stood out

Glad to hear someone else say what seems obvious to me. The more time goes on, the more it feels like I've stepped into a parallel universe where Kevin McStay is the most sought-after manager in Ireland.
On the basis of what? One club All-Ireland with a team that was on the brink of it before?
I remember the first time I heard talk of McStay as an IC manager, I thought it was a bit absurd. His reputation has grown and grown while he's done nothing. The same syndrome that saw Andy Reid grow into some kind of soccer messiah in the minds of Irish fans a few years back.
My prediction is that his reputation will diminish fairly quickly once he actually has to manage a team and deal with the knee-jerk reaction to every result.

Big-Team-Didn't-Get-Him-So-He's-Overated Syndrome.

Cute.

+1.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Syferus on October 01, 2015, 04:39:15 AM

Cute.

+1.

Instead of writing off my post by making up something I don't think, could you maybe explain why you disagree?
Why is McStay so highly rated by so many? Is it the club All-Ireland or is there more to it?

Shrewdness

IolarCoisCuain, the media source in Mayo that named those 3 players is 'The Connacht Telegraph'. They did it online yesterday evening.. Someone told me, i had a look, and there were the 3 names.

Tubberman

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 01, 2015, 06:48:06 AM
IolarCoisCuain, the media source in Mayo that named those 3 players is 'The Connacht Telegraph'. They did it online yesterday evening.. Someone told me, i had a look, and there were the 3 names.

That journalists is completely agenda driven. Just read back through some of his articles if you can find them. He is being fed all this info obviously, and the accuracy and motives behind it would have to be questioned.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

Quote from: Tubberman on October 01, 2015, 07:19:42 AM
That journalists is completely agenda driven. Just read back through some of his articles if you can find them. He is being fed all this info obviously, and the accuracy and motives behind it would have to be questioned.

100% correct, that rag of a paper was previously caught out peddling lies during Horan's time. The piece in question is based on well-founded insider information which was "mentioned" in the Irish Daily Mail  ::)

macdanger2

Quote from: maigheo on October 01, 2015, 03:26:17 AM
Reading Eugene McGees colum in the sindo about the Mayo situation nearly made me weep.How can some one so misinformed have a job writing for a main newspaper is beyond me.Anybody with half a brain can see that the Players dissatisfaction is with the  overall preparation of the team during the year and not soley the defeat to Dublin.I also see that the Telegraph have released 3 more names of players who they think voted no to the no confidence vote of H and C.This is completely wrong and is putting undue pressure on amateur sportsmen and of course they have not a quote to back up there claims

I think I've identified the two main sources of your problem here maigheo  ;D

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 01, 2015, 08:50:33 AM
Quote from: maigheo on October 01, 2015, 03:26:17 AM

I think I've identified the two main sources of your problem here maigheo  ;D

McGee, Jez you don't go reading McGee? He probably thinks that McDonald and Mortimer as still in the Mayo squad!  :P

Lar Naparka

Cute.

+1.
Now, now Syf, you're being a bit catty here.  ;D ;D
Talk about making yourself a hostage to fortune.
For a county that shafts managers more often than Fine Gael overthrows leaders, you'd be the last one to lecture us about anything.
John Maughan, Tonmmy Carr, Fergie, John Evans all got the bum's rush so why are you feeling cocky about Kevin McStay? (Did I forget anyone here ? Since I don't bother me bum about what goes on in your God-forsaken county, I might have left one or two out.)
His chances of being in the job a year from now are just about the same as Lar being elected Pope before he gets his P45.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

westbound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 01, 2015, 11:15:29 AM

Cute.

+1.
For a county that shafts managers more often than Fine Gael overthrows leaders, you'd be the last one to lecture us about anything.
John Maughan, Tonmmy Carr, Fergie, John Evans all got the bum's rush so why are you feeling cocky about Kevin McStay? (Did I forget anyone here ? Since I don't bother me bum about what goes on in your God-forsaken county, I might have left one or two out.)
His chances of being in the job a year from now are just about the same as Lar being elected Pope before he gets his P45.

That's a terrible comparison! Fine Gael haven't overthrown a leader in at least 13 years! (they might have tried once or twice since then, but your county man is leader since 2002!)   ;) ;)

Rossfan

And for the record Fergie in 2011 stepped down after 3 years ( his mother just died; he had expressed reservations after the CF and Tyrone game as well plus one other reason) while Evans didn't let his name go forward following the end of his 3 year term once he discovered he wouldn't be automatically re appointed.

Tan and Tommy both left 8 months after they should have been shaken hands with and RAN TO FCUK !! >:( >:( >:( >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 01, 2015, 11:15:29 AM

Cute.

+1.

No one wanted FOD to go in 2011. He had troubles with the way the CB were running things but the last man of the old regime is stepping down in December, which facilitated this appointment.

Whatever way you look at it Mayo have brought a shit storm on top of themselves over the last 12 months. That's what you should be worried about Lar.