Burns wants rid of Tricolour & Anthem to attract Protestants to GAA

Started by Line Ball, September 28, 2015, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: armaghniac on September 30, 2015, 01:24:00 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 30, 2015, 12:31:38 AM
There is no need to use collective symbols associated with sovereign nationalism. The GAA uses the symbols of Irish Nationalism as they have common roots, but there is no reason to do so and removing them does not take away any Irishness from the GAA. In fact it frees up the organisation to be the true guardian of the thing that bonds us, our culture and tradition.

There is no reason not to do so if Irish people like to be represented by such things. We need to reclaim the tricolour from SF rallies and braindead teenagers tacking flags to poles and not pander to people with a divisive political agenda.

Well since Irish people do and the GAA is a democratic organisation and is made up of people who associate with the sovereign Irish nationalism then that is the reason that it is unlikely to be changed.

But I thought we are having this discussion based on the actual merits of keeping/ toning down the nationalistic symbols in the GAA, rather than what people want? Most people have tribal attitudes anyway so they undoubtly will likely want to keep it.  That's fair enuff Im happy both ways, however it would be a good way to shake off the constraining shackles of nationalism and protect and promote our culture without having a nationalist consideration every turn around.

When I think of the other great Irish cultural organisation, Comhalts, it doesnt wear sovereign nationalism on its sleeve the same way as the GAA does, but I dont think of it as less Irish.

"Reclaiming the tricolour" is a different discussion altogether.

omaghjoe

Quote from: theticklemister on September 30, 2015, 01:30:35 AM
Should  the real question  be......... Can we not get the feckin national anthem removed at the end of discos in the free state????

I'll tell ye a wee story anyways along the same lines as I can't get to sleep.....

One time many years ago.......for  my home club's first ever year playing senior football I decided to do a program for each home game. What I decided to do was to look at the visiting team's club name and tell people a bit of history about them. It so happens we had Eoghain Rua, Wolfe Tones, Watty Graham's and Robert Emmetts visiting us. Republican people from our history. Needless to say, the back of each program was an Irish republican history so to speak every two weeks.

Anyway..... I got a message from the secretary of the club stating 'there is too much Republican propaganda being placed in these publications'. I did not reply. I asked around the club and it was general consensus that I have. I stayed strong nonetheless.

Anyway.... It turns out all the lads were having the craic with me

And anyway again......... Although this was a bit of banter, I know for a fact that this probably was indeed the consensus but was not put through the proper channels.

Anyway, moral of the story is....... Burns is doing this for his own gain.

Just googled Watty Graham there often wondered who he was. Did you do this?

http://www.wattygrahamsgac.com/HistoryWatty.aspx

Couple of points of note:
Would he have been in the same band of men as Roddy McCorley?
1500 lashes! :o
Beech trees are great big trees but they have shallow ole roots!

theticklemister

general_lee

Quote from: foxcommander on September 29, 2015, 09:18:07 PM
I knew the PC brigade would be on to this article - falling over themselves to try accommodate the likes of Tom Elliott.

If anything why doesn't the rugby team remove the anthem and the flag. Can't really claim to be Irish playing a British sport. And as for their cringeworthy fans belting out the national anthem...
This post has so many levels of retard I don't know where to start...

general_lee

So do people feel more Irish when  the anthem is played or what?

Aside from the fact that we like to butcher it so much through dodgy sound systems and tone def scor winners, does anyone actually look forward to it at the start of a match? I know I don't

And the tricolour, is there really any need for it? Like I'm not fussed either way but it would hardly be a travesty if it went? Club, county and provincial colours far more relevant.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: general_lee on September 30, 2015, 07:40:04 AM

Aside from the fact that we like to butcher it so much through dodgy sound systems and tone def scor winners, does anyone actually look forward to it at the start of a match? I know I don't

And the tricolour, is there really any need for it? Like I'm not fussed either way but it would hardly be a travesty if it went? Club, county and provincial colours far more relevant.

I enjoy it at a full house in croker or a t a big championship game, it adds to the atmosphere and sense of occasion.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jinxy

The version of the national anthem that they play in Pairc Tailteann makes me hate my country and everyone in it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Applesisapples

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 29, 2015, 04:12:37 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 29, 2015, 01:20:49 PM
I can just about tolerate national anthems when actual nations are playing against each other.
Get rid of it.

I agree with Jinxy on this.

There is no place in sport for politics or chauvanistic nationalism.
Easy to say when you live in a state that recognises your ethnicity. Try living in a state which since its foundation has only recognised the ethnicity of what is now about 49% of its people. A state that oppressed everything remotely Irish and you might understand the importance of the GAA and events like county finals which recognise that Irishness. The GAA is a culturally Irish organisation which has given a sense of belonging to people like me who grew up in a time when you dare not show any expression of Irishness.

theskull1

Eamonnca1
If we removed the flag and anthem from our games, unionist would accuse the GAA of trying to lure unionists toward a United Ireland. I think Jarlath know that himself

There's no winning with them. They appear to just want to get us to jump through hoops (if they could) for the sheer enjoyment of it all.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

general_lee

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 30, 2015, 08:54:58 AM
Quote from: general_lee on September 30, 2015, 07:40:04 AM

I enjoy it at a full house in croker or a t a big championship game, it adds to the atmosphere and sense of occasion.
I tell a lie, the pipe band for the Munster final is something else

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 30, 2015, 09:18:55 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 29, 2015, 04:12:37 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 29, 2015, 01:20:49 PM
I can just about tolerate national anthems when actual nations are playing against each other.
Get rid of it.

I agree with Jinxy on this.

There is no place in sport for politics or chauvanistic nationalism.
Easy to say when you live in a state that recognises your ethnicity. Try living in a state which since its foundation has only recognised the ethnicity of what is now about 49% of its people. A state that oppressed everything remotely Irish and you might understand the importance of the GAA and events like county finals which recognise that Irishness. The GAA is a culturally Irish organisation which has given a sense of belonging to people like me who grew up in a time when you dare not show any expression of Irishness.
Totally agree but if you think that the flag/anthem define your identity rather than the GAA itself as institution and all that it promotes then you're just a mirror image of a loyalist. This debate is similar to the fleggers at city hall. There is much more to expressing your culture than facing the friary road mumbling A. na bhF

Applesisapples

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 30, 2015, 12:04:29 AM
Here's the best part. The people who would prefer to keep the anthem and flag as it is are the same people who most fervently want a united Ireland.

To achieve a united Ireland you need to convince a majority in the north to go for it.

To convince a majority in the north to go for it means getting a critical mass of moderate northern Protestants on board.

Getting a critical mass of moderate northern Protestants on board means making them more comfortable with Irish culture do it doesn't feel foreign or hostile to them.

Getting them more comfortable with Irish culture means making it more accessible to them through gestures like the one Jarlath proposes.

So the ones going on about how we should stick to the status quo are advocating a course that makes Irish unity less likely and more difficult to achieve.
Actually whilst I would prefer a UI, I wouldn't say it was a fervent wish. I'd happily settle for recognition in this state of my nationality and identity as been equal to our British neighbours until such times as they feel confident enough to take a step into a UI...the principle of consent.

winghalfun

QuoteWe need to reclaim the tricolour from SF rallies

I'm sure SF would gladly let other Nationalist parties have the tricolour if they were willing to take it.

macdanger2

Quote from: Jinxy on September 30, 2015, 09:11:13 AM
The version of the national anthem that they play in Pairc Tailteann makes me hate my country county and everyone in it.

Fixed that for you

Sandy Hill

Good article by Seán Moran on this topic in today's Irish Times, Sport.
"Stercus accidit"

BennyCake

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 30, 2015, 10:29:38 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 30, 2015, 09:11:13 AM
The version of the national anthem that they play in Pairc Tailteann makes me hate my country county and everyone in it.

Fixed that for you

Sure everyone hates Meath anyway. Oh wait, that's Dublin I'm thinking of.