Burns wants rid of Tricolour & Anthem to attract Protestants to GAA

Started by Line Ball, September 28, 2015, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

I like the National Anthem being played b4 matches however I am with Jarlath on this.

If its removal attracts PULs I'm all for it. But then it probably wouldn't attract them and its irrelevant because it wont happen in the foreseeable future anyway, but its a good debate to be having.

To those that are saying that the GAA its Nationalist blah blah blah... I say this. Nationalism is only a symbol of a representation of common culture / tradition / identity, that has been used to create the concept of modern nation states. Removing a flag or anthem doesn't take away that common culture/tradition/identity, in fact, in the case of the GAA, it releases it from the constraints of nationalism and allows it to expand outside of that.

Rossfan

Bottom line is that two teams in any sport can go out and play a game without any National flags flying over the ground or any National Anthem being played beforehand.
Totally superfluous unnecessary trimmings to the playing of the games.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

Pleasantly surprised to see such agreement with Jarlath's proposal. Apart from the potential to make the GAA more appealing to some (others will never embrace it, and we should spend little time trying to accommodate them) the flag and anthem add little as it is.

omaghjoe

At the same time lads I wouldnt say it adds nothing. Its adds occasion, and reverence to our identity.

However I would be willing to give it up/tone it down to attract others.

T Fearon

Surely the main objection by unionists to GAA is the naming of grounds and tournaments after "terrorists"

omaghjoe

Quote from: T Fearon on September 29, 2015, 06:30:41 PM
Surely the main objection by unionists to GAA is the naming of grounds and tournaments after "terrorists"

That's one they will have to suck up Im afraid IMO, as it done and dusted

I used to live on Cromwell St in Belfast. Inspite of this, my main objection to living there was that it was a dump!

Maguire01

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 29, 2015, 06:16:53 PM
At the same time lads I wouldnt say it adds nothing. Its adds occasion, and reverence to our identity.
You must be hearing different renditions of the anthem to me. Whatever about big finals, it adds nothing to a league game in February.

Eamonnca1

Of course there are hardliners in unionism who'll never attend a GAA match no matter what. But there are plenty of moderates who will. The fact that protestant parents let their children partake in the cross-community Cu Chullain hurling teams should be proof of that. Do we give up on the moderates because extremists exist?

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 29, 2015, 05:25:39 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 29, 2015, 01:20:20 PM
Feck the lot of them.

Perfectly sums up the attitude of many people in our midst. No interest in building bridges, no interest in inclusiveness, no interest in persuasion, no interest in reconciliation. Their idea of trying to reunite the country is by waving the tricolour and shouting Tiocfaidh ár la. But bringing northern protestants on board to make it actually happen? Forget it.

The Tricolour is green and orange. The GAA is open to everyone, but it is a single organisation, we don't want further division and to have a Protestant GAA and Catholic GAA and Muslim GAA and whatever.

The real thing the GAA needs to change is the attitude among some of its members that the flag or the use of Irish is designed to exclude. There is an attitude, evident in some posts here, that an organisation being Irish in Ireland is somehow provocative. The is an attitude, that also shows up here, that the GAA should see itself in ghetto and not expect everyone to be involved.

The anthem could be confined to finals etc where there is band, without any real loss. Scratchy recordings or county and western version or teenage girls who can't be heard add little enough to the event.

But really if there is one anthem anywhere then anti GAA people would object anyhow. As deiseach noted above is there a single Protestant school anywhere in the country that promotes the GAA, 130 years after the founding of GAA? Prejudice runs deep.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 29, 2015, 09:01:56 PM
Of course there are hardliners in unionism who'll never attend a GAA match no matter what. But there are plenty of moderates who will. The fact that protestant parents let their children partake in the cross-community Cu Chullain hurling teams should be proof of that. Do we give up on the moderates because extremists exist?
NI has so many fruitcakes though

foxcommander

I knew the PC brigade would be on to this article - falling over themselves to try accommodate the likes of Tom Elliott.

If anything why doesn't the rugby team remove the anthem and the flag. Can't really claim to be Irish playing a British sport. And as for their cringeworthy fans belting out the national anthem...
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

trileacman

I would get rid of the anthem before matches that aren't finals, it's not really necessary in post-80's Ireland. Not for the prods sake like, just because it's a bit naff. Someone said that if you can't stand for the national anthem of where that sport was created before a match then you shouldn't be respected. If that's the case I'll look out for "God Save the Queen" before the next France/Ireland or Wales/Scotland match. Either that or watch several thousands Yanks pause for Flower of Scotland during the next US Masters. Whomever made that point is a tit.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

omaghjoe

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 29, 2015, 08:35:17 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 29, 2015, 06:16:53 PM
You must be hearing different renditions of the anthem to me. Whatever about big finals, it adds nothing to a league game in February.

Since this is completely subjective we are both right

I dont mind the "Wailing banshees" version of the league, they are mostly talented singers and pleasant to listen to. And the only time I cant hear them is on the TV. No problem at the grounds

What irks me more is the tempo of the Amhran na bhfiann is completely off by the GAA marching bands. Its a march FFS, try marching to it at Artane Boy Band speed and you'll have bother. Garda/army(?) Band at the rugby Internationals play it proper

Pangurban

Would an acceptance of Jarlaths proposal be an abandonment of the core priniciples of the G.A.A. While the association is avowedly non sectarian and non party political it is founded on clear nationalist principles ie. the support for a 32 Co.soveriegn irish republic the promotion of irish culture  , games ,language,dance etc. and the fostering of a national irish conscienceness. These principles were clearly stated by the founders in 1884 and have been reiterated in every official guide published since.

trileacman

Quote from: armaghniac on September 29, 2015, 09:08:40 PM

But really if there is one anthem anywhere then anti GAA people would object anyhow. As deiseach noted above is there a single Protestant school anywhere in the country that promotes the GAA, 130 years after the founding of GAA? Prejudice runs deep.

That point's a load of bollix. By the same token, St Micks Enniskillen, St Pat's Dungannon, CBS Omagh or St Colman's are bigotted c***ts because they promote and favour gaelic football over rugby and soccer. The Prod's school in the south still favour their old sports over GAA because that's where their tradition lies not because they think Croker is a Fenian cesspit. I went to one of the schools named above and played on a rugby team there. We were pariahs in the eyes of the established GAA-heads though.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014