Connacht Club Championships Senior, Intermediate & Junior

Started by revsperminute, September 25, 2015, 05:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

A Clann v. Corofin final would match the two most successful clubs in the history of the Connacht championship..

Clann and Castlebar meet in the 1988 and 1993 Connacht finals, Clann won the 1988 encounter but Castlebar won the 1993 final after a replay.

PW Nally

Quote from: Syferus on October 26, 2015, 03:06:35 PM
A Clann v. Corofin final would match the two most successful clubs in the history of the Connacht championship..

Clann and Castlebar meet in the 1988 and 1993 Connacht finals, Clann won the 1988 encounter but Castlebar won the 1993 final after a replay.
Surely by the Rossie evaluation Clann are the greatest failures of club history after failing to take the big prize on the back of all those Connacht titles?

Syferus

Quote from: PW Nally on October 26, 2015, 03:38:37 PM

Surely by the Rossie evaluation Clann are the greatest failures of club history after failing to take the big prize on the back of all those Connacht titles?

You're a brave man to call a club that won seven Connacht titles in eight years failures.

PW Nally

Quote from: Syferus on October 26, 2015, 03:42:00 PM

You're a brave man to call a club that won seven Connacht titles in eight years failures.
Read what I wrote gasún.

Syferus

Quote from: PW Nally on October 26, 2015, 06:40:23 PM

Read what I wrote gasún.

I did and it should be obvious from my response that no one regards that Clann team as simple failures. Very well regarded in the county. Which is why I said it was brave to suggest they were failures.

Cunny Funt

Mayo at county level must be worse, how many Connacht titles won between 1952 to 2015 and no All Ireland won? I wouldn't call either side failures they both had flaws they couldn't correct or were simply beaten by better sides.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 26, 2015, 07:01:26 PM

Mayo at county level must be worse, how many Connacht titles won between 1952 to 2015 and no All Ireland won? I wouldn't call either side failures they both had flaws they couldn't correct or were simply beaten by better sides.

Well between 1955 and 1981 Mayo won only two Connacht titles. So there is a big gap there. Far from us having it our own way in the 80's, 90's and 00's either. The last couple of years has made a misconception of us coming out of Connacht easily. Roscommon were a decent force in the 80's and 90's and you don't need to say anything about Galway.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Shrewdness

I'd agree with Syferus saying that Clann will lose to Castlebar, but i'd like to think that they'll give a better performance than Breaffy did. They looked like an intermediate club side out of their depth.

PW Nally

Quote from: Syferus on October 26, 2015, 06:43:51 PM
Quote from: PW Nally on October 26, 2015, 06:40:23 PM

Read what I wrote gasún.

I did and it should be obvious from my response that no one regards that Clann team as simple failures. Very well regarded in the county. Which is why I said it was brave to suggest they were failures.
I was using the REM (Rossie evaluation method) as used here of attempting to poke fun at Mayo for beating their neighbours but failing to grab the ultimate prize.

moysider

I was away and watched a recording of Breaffy v Castlebar earlier. A couple of things.

Must be a world record for 'lookit' being used in the pre-match interviews.

Harte repeatedly calling Knockmore Cnoc Mhuire instead of Cnoc Mór. The good people of Knock must be thrilled to have a club of their own that get to a Mayo club senior semi!

Shrewdness

Double header in Hyde Park next Sunday......Connacht JFC Semi Final - Shannon Gaels (Ros) v Clifden (Galway), 1.30pm.......Connacht IFC Semi Final, Michael Glavey's (Ros) v Moycullen (Galway), 3pm.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

PW Nally

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 28, 2015, 01:35:56 PM
Double header in Hyde Park next Sunday......Connacht JFC Semi Final - Shannon Gaels (Ros) v Clifden (Galway), 1.30pm.......Connacht IFC Semi Final, Michael Glavey's (Ros) v Moycullen (Galway), 3pm.
Does Shane Leydon play for Shannon Gaels during the rugby off season?