Arlene Foster going to be the new First Minister?

Started by heganboy, September 23, 2015, 02:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Quote from: T Fearon on September 25, 2015, 08:15:52 PM
Soccer related trouble unheard apart from the odd skirmish with Cliftonville.Sectarian continues to be a problem in general,but there is no attempt to make anyone second class citizens these days

You must have been away on a free weekend somewhere when this happened a couple of months ago:

Football fans blamed for attack on Portadown bar

The IFA is to be asked to investigate after an attack on a Portadown pub was blamed on Linfield supporters attending a match in the town yesterday (Saturday).

Windows were smashed in McKeever's bar and it was alleged that staff and customers also came under attack.

http://armaghi.com/football-fans-blamed-for-attack-on-portadown-bar/

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

T Fearon

Heard about that.Isolated incident,Portadown Railway station is on edge of the town's nationalist area.I would guess there's a bit of history here,Linfield supporters possibly attacked or taunted by bar patrons in the past.Not saying that Linfield supporters are whiter than white.

The Public Park,a shared area when I was a small boy pre troubles, is just about to re open after having £5m European peace money spent on refurbishment.Huge efforts going on now to attract Protestant community back to the Park.

Troubles sadly ghettoised every town.

T Fearon

I could recount other tales of sectarianism from the so called Catholic side,like the case of a small town which still retains a Catholic GP in a single handed Practice,resisting all attempts to merge with a larger nearby mixed General Practice (which has both Catholic and Protestant GPs), simply because a large proportion of the town insist on a Catholic only General Practice, because historically they've always had one.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on September 26, 2015, 08:01:42 AM
I could recount other tales of sectarianism from the so called Catholic side,like the case of a small town which still retains a Catholic GP in a single handed Practice,resisting all attempts to merge with a larger nearby mixed General Practice (which has both Catholic and Protestant GPs), simply because a large proportion of the town insist on a Catholic only General Practice, because historically they've always had one.

If you create a place, Northern Ireland, defined by sectarianism, then clearly both sides are going to fall into the template.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Portadown (and Lurgan to a lesser extent) is one of the most sectarian places you can encounter in the north. My own family had to up sticks in the 70s and leave such was the ongoing threat. Things aren't as bad as they were but that doesn't mean they still aren't bad

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on September 25, 2015, 06:31:58 PM
Sorry,but even growing up in Portadown with all the hazards back in the day being from the minority community,I didn't witness a lot of raw anti Catholicism,or hatred of Catholics.Times have changed too,now the town centre is now almost awash with GAA and Celtic shirts,with no one batting an eye lid.

I don't believe any substantial section of unionism is anti catholic people or hates catholic people irrationally.
Tony this is utter tosh, right through the 90's a catholic in Portadown wasn't safe, ask Robert Hamills family. I saw plenty of ant-catholic
episodes in the town. I was chased one evening for daring to drive through the town with a Celtic shirt on.

Applesisapples

Guys there is undoubtedly sectarianism on both sides. The big difference though between Nationalists and Loyalists is that for us it is political sectarianism for Loyalists it is religious as well. Also Nationalists would quite happily accommodate the British identity culture flags etc... along side our own but that is not reciprocated.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 26, 2015, 11:35:27 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 25, 2015, 06:31:58 PM
Sorry,but even growing up in Portadown with all the hazards back in the day being from the minority community,I didn't witness a lot of raw anti Catholicism,or hatred of Catholics.Times have changed too,now the town centre is now almost awash with GAA and Celtic shirts,with no one batting an eye lid.

I don't believe any substantial section of unionism is anti catholic people or hates catholic people irrationally.
Tony this is utter tosh, right through the 90's a catholic in Portadown wasn't safe, ask Robert Hamills family. I saw plenty of ant-catholic
episodes in the town. I was chased one evening for daring to drive through the town with a Celtic shirt on.
When the Mid - Ulster LVF were in their pomp I can imagine Portadown was a smashing place to live if you were a Catholic.

T Fearon

As I have said before,the existence of pockets of extremists should not be allowed to demonise an entire area or section of people.Many Catholic businesses have been in Portadown town centre for generations etc.

Do the terrible deeds which took place in Crossmaglen and Newry mean that they deserved the title "bandit country"

Windmill abu

Quote from: T Fearon on September 26, 2015, 01:04:16 PM

Do the terrible deeds which took place in Crossmaglen and Newry South Armagh mean that they deserved the title "bandit country"

Yes they do and they should wear the title with pride for their battle with the British security forces.

Whereas the sectarian scum who murdered a catholic as a birthday present for Billy Wright show Portadown up as the anti catholic shit hole it always has been.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

T Fearon

I suppose it depends on your perspective.The Mid Ulster UVF did not represent any significant section of the Portadown community.Did you know that two of Billy Wright's brothers in law are Catholics and are both still alive.

Windmill abu

Quote from: T Fearon on September 26, 2015, 09:47:57 PM
I suppose it depends on your perspective.The Mid Ulster UVF did not represent any significant section of the Portadown community.Did you know that two of Billy Wright's brothers in law are Catholics and are both still alive.

Billy Wright is dead and neither of his brother in laws live in Portadown, which may go towards why they are still alive.

The Portadown protestant community of which you speak performed their triumphalist marches down the mostly catholic Garvaghy Road, where they were not welcome, and when they were stopped they escalated the violence which led to the deaths of three children, because they were catholic.

Till this day the protestant community of Portadown try to parade down the Garvaghy Road, without ever offering a public condolence for the deaths of the catholic children caused by their incitement to violence.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

T Fearon

I am no fan of the Orange Order, but have no problems with members of the Orange Order. From their perspective they Saw it as being able to march along a public highway.In any event the scumbags who threw a petrol bomb into the house where the 3 kids were had no connection with the Orange Order or with any sane person or organisation.The violence here is long gone,and thankfully both tribes,or their extreme members seem to have largely cottoned on to that.

You cannot demonise a whole people or community because of the actions of a relatively few scumbags.

ziggysego

For someone who has been very outspoken about the northern soccer team and it's sectarianism from supporters and players alike Tony, this is quite the turn around.
Testing Accessibility

michaelg

Quote from: ziggysego on September 27, 2015, 12:01:02 AM
For someone who has been very outspoken about the northern soccer team and it's sectarianism from supporters and players alike Tony, this is quite the turn around.
What NI players have been sectarian?