End Game for Mickey?

Started by Bo Man, September 02, 2015, 01:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2015, 02:24:27 PM
That doesn't need to be, or publicised as, an interview. It's demeaning that he would have to interview for his job. Who used the term 'interview'? By all means have a chat with him to plan 2016, and if big issues arise then, so be it, but to say you are interviewing him is a calculated insult in my opinion.
Perhaps you are right, but I suspect there is more going on, anyway it's Tyrone problem, we've enough of our own in Armagh.

AZOffaly

And you can sing that. I hope he does resign and discovers a deep love for Offaly, or failing that, Tipp.

magpie seanie

Tyrone only giving Harte one year and we gave Carew two years!!!! There is no sense in this world.

If Harte has too much power it's because he has earned it. Frankly, you could have worse people with "too much power". If some talented players aren't getting their chance I'm sure if they talked to him and did what he asked they'd come up the pecking order. You don't have people cribbing in Kilkenny about lads not getting a chance and undermining Cody.

If ye get rid of Harte ye will regret it for ages. Better the let the man stay on for a couple of years too many than disrespect him after all he has done and all he has been through. Especially when there is no proven manager in waiting.

thewobbler

It's interesting that comparisons with O'Dwyer, Boylan, Kernan and McGrath are being made on this thread.

The thing with those men is that as well as reaching the peaks, they each also presided over the significant decline of their counties.

Harte hasn't done that.

Apart from the hiding in Killarney a couple of years ago, Tyrone have been reasonably ultra competitive in every Championship match they've played since 2008, and have played in the latter stages at Croke Park in the majority of those seasons.

I know different people have different levels of expectations, and everyone has their own perspectives in life, but surely not even the most blinkered of Tyrone men actually believes they've underachieved in the past few years? We've just been through a half a decade of the best Donegal team that county has produced, the best Monaghan side in their history, possibly the best Mayo team they've ever produced, and maybe even the best Dublin team ever produced, while Kerry have continued to be Kerry. Winning a trophy in among that lot needed an exceptionally talented group of players, which isn't what Tyrone have had during this time.

Croí na hÉireann

Four words, Eastmeath after Sean Boylan. That is your potential future right there Tyrone.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

longballin

Havent beaten a top team in championship since 2008 unless you think Monaghan is a top team  :-\   

Croí na hÉireann

Pretty soon you'll be loosing to the middling teams. Could you see Eastmeath loosing to the Limerick's or Wexford's of this world 10 years ago?

Hound

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 07, 2015, 03:10:02 PM
Four words, Eastmeath after Sean Boylan. That is your potential future right there Tyrone.
Speaking of the unspeakables, I didnt see the game, but had Meath received the soft penalty instead of Tyrone in that match, that could have changed everything.
Small margins and all that.
And it's good to be good, but it's better to be lucky!
(I realise a lot of luck is earned - by being in the right place to take advantage of it)

From the outside it is difficult to fathom why Tyrone would want rid of Harte. But there are seemingly good judges who hold that opinion.

Johnny Giles often tells the story of Charlton Ath fans wanting rid of Alan Curbishley because they were sick of finishing mid table in the Premier League. They persuaded the chairman to get rid of him, and now Charlton don't finish mid table in the Premier League anymore!
Are Tyrone sick of losing semi-finals?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hound on September 07, 2015, 04:04:55 PM
Speaking of the unspeakables, I didnt see the game, but had Meath received the soft penalty instead of Tyrone in that match, that could have changed everything.
(I realise a lot of luck is earned - by being in the right place to take advantage of it)

From the outside it is difficult to fathom why Tyrone would want rid of Harte. But there are seemingly good judges who hold that opinion.

Johnny Giles often tells the story of Charlton Ath fans wanting rid of Alan Curbishley because they were sick of finishing mid table in the Premier League. They persuaded the chairman to get rid of him, and now Charlton don't finish mid table in the Premier League anymore!

That's another great example Hound (Charlton & Curbishley). I didn't see the Tyrone Eastmeath game either but I believe Tyrone were well below par in that game.

Hound

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 07, 2015, 04:14:11 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 07, 2015, 04:04:55 PM

That's another great example Hound (Charlton & Curbishley). I didn't see the Tyrone Eastmeath game either but I believe Tyrone were well below par in that game.
The one thing going in Tyrone's favour versus Charlton, is they probably won't pick Iain Dowie as the new manager to take them to the next level  ;D

Armamike

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2015, 02:24:27 PM
That doesn't need to be, or publicised as, an interview. It's demeaning that he would have to interview for his job. Who used the term 'interview'? By all means have a chat with him to plan 2016, and if big issues arise then, so be it, but to say you are interviewing him is a calculated insult in my opinion.

Agree totally.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Wildweasel74

Did Tyroen not take trimmings to Mayo and Cork in recnet years since 2008 and just down in Kerry

nrico2006

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 07, 2015, 11:13:38 PM
Did Tyroen not take trimmings to Mayo and Cork in recnet years since 2008 and just down in Kerry

I think they lost by 5 or 6 points in those games.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Gold

~Crazy the way Harte being treated.

Your one..."so Mickey, what do you know about football, what are your plans?"

Cheeky get. Unreal.com

PPL need to be seriously careful with what they wish for----they do not have Peter Canavan, S O'Neill, Mugsy, Ricey, Dooher, Cavlan, Philly Jordan, Harte, Enda McGinley anymore. Most of those players are once in a generation stuff---Mickey is not outstaying his welcome--he simply hasn't the tools anymore and is making a fine effort with the tools he now has.

This sack the manager shite comes from English Premier League watching

Even here in Antrim, we should never have got rid of Baker Bradley---he ruled with an iron fist and that is what's needed in a discipline free county like ours--boys wanting him out when he presided over an Ulster Final appearance and a win v Fermanagh in championship last year. Yes he annoyed some but better than what we have now, pandering to boys who half train etc

Mickey rules with an iron fist too---absolute madness to want him out or treat him with such disrespect--

-interviewing Mickey Harte????!

Jesus wept.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Throw ball

I do not really get why so many think Harte should be automatically allowed to continue as Tyrone manager Ad infinitum. It is the job of the county board to assess what they think is the best for the county. The easy way for them would be to let Harte continue without question. But surely they are right to ask about the RTE ban, to discuss sponsors concerns, to address the reasons for the adverse publicity that followed Tyrone this year, to question the availability of county players for their all county league and to ask why so many players felt the need to leave the panel this year. They would be failing in their duty not to do so.

Personally I feel Harte will get to continue if he wishes to do so. My only hope is that he is less successful than in the past. ;)