End Game for Mickey?

Started by Bo Man, September 02, 2015, 01:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

The big error by Mickey this year was reacting to the fall out from their excesses in the 1/4 final  by changing a winning formula. He reacted by reining in the cynical excesses, put a sunday suit on all the players for the semi final and told them not to sin. He should have stuck to his guns, backed his players, said f u to all the  begrudgers, evil rte, other assorted sinful rascals in the media and not deviate one inch from the Tyrone gospel. Tyrone should have done what they do best, goad and drag kerry to the gutter. Instead Mickey reacted negatively and instructed his team to play football the manly way.
Such mixed tactics confuse players and their football identity. No wonder that McNulty couldn't pull off a decent convincing dive to enhance the bit of physical contact.

Armamike

This seems to be growing momentum. Due process is one thing  but it can be used as an excuse by county boards to force the manager's hand.  Can't see anything other than Harte continuing as manager but on the face of it his relationship with the board/chairwoman doesn't seem to be rock solid. Could be wrong, but that's how it's starting to look.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Red eye

Quote from: Armamike on September 05, 2015, 03:37:37 PM
This seems to be growing momentum. Due process is one thing  but it can be used as an excuse by county boards to force the manager's hand.  Can't see anything other than Harte continuing as manager but on the face of it his relationship with the board/chairwoman doesn't seem to be rock solid. Could be wrong, but that's how it's starting to look.

Agree totally

T Fearon

Looks like a rerun of Margaret Thatcher and Scargill.Two supreme egotists.Surely a big county is entitled to consider managerial options after no major trophies in five years.Would a Kerry or Dublin manager survive a drought like this? I don't think so

delgany

CB  is a joke...2 AI semis    in 3 years  whilst rebuilding a team....I cant imagine to many managers doing that...

sam03/05

Harte has kept Tyrone at the top table during a rebuilding period - teams like Armagh have fell in to Div 3 to rebuild - Tyrone have reached three All Ireland Semi Finals / 2 National League finals (1&2) since 08. Not bad during what is a transition period.
Jordan and her cronies should be chased and it could well happen.

lenny

Quote from: delgany on September 05, 2015, 06:54:11 PM
CB  is a joke...2 AI semis    in 3 years  whilst rebuilding a team....I cant imagine to many managers doing that...

He's had 7 years to rebuild.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on September 05, 2015, 07:20:37 PM
Quote from: delgany on September 05, 2015, 06:54:11 PM

He's had 7 years to rebuild.

Some teams never rebuild! But like has been said Tyrone have made 2 semi finals in 3 years, which is a better return than most. Rebuilding after having a great team with great players is not particularly easy.
That was never a square ball!!

T Fearon

Mayo have been in countless semi finals in the last ten years,they are not synonomous with success.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at Mickey's interview :D

screenexile

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 05, 2015, 12:45:55 AM
There's competition for the position, so if the TCB were not to entertain a due process (of elimination) then they'd be open to all kinds of accusations of anointments.

Can't see what they can do, realistically, in this position, and Mickey Harte is no shrinking violet, he'll be fighting his corner with venom! ;)

That's not very Christian!!!

Applesisapples

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 02, 2015, 07:48:20 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 02, 2015, 07:38:21 PM
Mickey has made Tyrone the most unpopular county in Ireland and his legacy will be the title,puke football.Sad,but surely his time is up.

If I was you I would worry more about were money bags might take Armagh over the next few years instead of worrying about Mickeys legacy of 3 All Ireland senior titles national league titles ulsters All Ireland U21 and minor titles. I think Mickeys achievements will stand the test of time. Money bags on the other hand may not.
Never mind Tony he's just trolling. Mickey Harte is as good a football manager as I have seen in my life time, he is certainly up there with O'Dwyer and Heffernan. Harte has had to manage talented group of players, but by no means has he ever had the resource of talent available to Kerry and the Dubs in the 70's and 80's and Tyrone's success is very much down to him. As a father I can only but be sympathetic to him in his loss and understand his sense of grievance when a clown in the national broadcaster makes such a crass and tasteless joke. That said you can't hold that against the whole of RTE and sponsors for good or evil need exposure, that's how it works. There is no reason why Mickey can't hold on to his principle of not talking to RTE whilst allowing others to do so. If his tenure depends on him having a veto over this then perhaps it is best for all if he retires with grace. Some one will always step in to the breech, it may not immediately be the manager fans want, but they will get the right one eventually. A bit like Armagh really, Geezer was the fans choice and wisely the County Board have allowed him a shot at it. How successful he can be is somewhat in doubt but time will tell.

Applesisapples

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 05, 2015, 12:24:32 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on September 05, 2015, 12:17:22 AM
He has to be interviewed for the job for next year.

That a feckin disgrace
Why is it a disgrace? Surely his employers are entitled to review the year, his term is at an end and if it is to be extended they will obviously need to set the ground rules.

AZOffaly

His employers?

His term is up, but he has indicated he wants to stay on. Why on earth would you interview him? So, Mickey, what experience have you in football?

These interviews, or 'reviews' are often a pretext for getting rid of a manager.

Applesisapples

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2015, 02:20:37 PM
His employers?

His term is up, but he has indicated he wants to stay on. Why on earth would you interview him? So, Mickey, what experience have you in football?

These interviews, or 'reviews' are often a pretext for getting rid of a manager.
Probably to be assured that he will allow his backroom team to fulfil media obligations. Perhaps there are other issues not yet aired which the board need assurances on.

AZOffaly

That doesn't need to be, or publicised as, an interview. It's demeaning that he would have to interview for his job. Who used the term 'interview'? By all means have a chat with him to plan 2016, and if big issues arise then, so be it, but to say you are interviewing him is a calculated insult in my opinion.