End Game for Mickey?

Started by Bo Man, September 02, 2015, 01:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Whishtup on September 03, 2015, 12:26:56 AM
Mickey has been very loyal to the best servants of Tyrone football (possibly to the detriment of his own success) in recent years and I believe that Tyrone should be loyal to Mickey, all-ireland or not.  It would be nice to see that dignity still exists within the ruthless desire to achieve the ultimate goal.  After this year, where we were within  a flea's whisker of all ireland glory with an inexperienced team,  surely we'll give the man another 3 years to at least give this team a chance to taste success?

I have massive respect for Mickey and all he has achieved. However my loyalty is ultimately to the red hands and its future. I don't think it is best served by a stand off between our manager and the county board forcing GAA people to take sides. I believe Mickey should agree to a one year extension and then Peter and or Dooher taking over in year 2 with Mickey in an advisory role. I can't see logie being interested in taking the seniors. The only way Logan would take it is in the event of Mickey throwing the toys out and massive divisions ensuing. Logie is one of the few people in the county who is widely respected and could smooth the way for Peter/Brian to slip into it in a year or two without their loyalty to Mickey being questioned and avoid the knives in the back perceptions. I fear Mickey ain't the type to walk away from a fight.

omaghjoe

So is this 1 yr v 3 yr thing the actual case? Or is there as much truth in it as the sponsor's demanding interviews?

If it is the case then the obvious solution would be a 2 yr contract...

However its Mickey Harte your dealing with, he created his own club instead of taking a suspension! Not a slight on the man, its more of a compliment actually, its shows that he will refuse to back down when faced with adversity and will seek a solution on his terms with the utmost conviction.

So in other words he's the kind of man you'd want managing you team

Anyway he'll probably get a deal that will suit him well, but it also wont do him any harm to know that there is people out there that aren't fully on board with him, as he knows how to harness that sort of negative energy.

T Fearon

After 12 years (the last 5 of which have been trophyless regardless of Mc Kenna Cups) Mickey's time is over.A stint managing the Intermational Rules team beckons followed by leading Antrim through the back door to the All Ireland Quarter Finals.

It is my ambition to live long enough to see Armagh defeat a Tyrone side not managed by Art Mc Rory or Mickey Harte.

An Watcher

At the start of the year I would have been happy with it being mickeys last year. I quickly realised though that when you're going into battle in Croker there is no better man at the helm.  Give the man what he wants as this new team could be on the verge of great things. No disrespect to canavan or dooher but they're hardly in his league.  I really hope this doesn't play out like the eamon Coleman saga were derry gaels have regretted for years not backing their man. U only have to read some of the posts on here from non-tyronies. They would be delighted to see mickey leave the stage to the detriment of Tyrone football

nrico2006

Quote from: barelegs on September 03, 2015, 12:46:36 AM
Taking a step back, I think the offer of another year is fair. Looking at more that the last 6 weeks and looking at the last 5 years then things have a slightly different perspective. Tyrone have won nothing of note since 2010, when they won the Ulster championship, and haven't beaten one of the games powers since 2008. The 2014 season was an absolute shambles and the manager has to take a large portion of the blame for that. We were then relegated from Division 1 of the league at the beginning of this year.

In saying all that, this season was a lot more encouraging. The team was a lot more settled. It was better organised and they played to a system that the players believed in, something that had been missing in recent seasons. Young players were given extended runs in the side and the strength and conditioning area which had been belatedly addressed in the off season was starting to bear fruit. I'll give Mickey Harte plenty of credit for that.

If Mickey wants to stay on as manager he's got the option to stay on and build on the good work that was done this year. Should Tyrone produce another 2014 like shambles then the county board isn't tied into a longer deal. I think that's fair

The most sensible post I have read on this topic yet.  Until the Monaghan game there didn't look to be any real progress.  Who is to say next year won't be another shambles and that our Ulster campaign ends with another Donegal defeat?  Surely a one year deal with the option to extend (if all parties are satisfied with progress levels) is the way to go. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

clarshack

i would give him a 1 year extension only.
the u-21's have a good team again next year so would like to see the current u-21 management stay in place for another season
and then if things were to go pear shaped next season with MH and the seniors they could take over the senior management in 2017.

illdecide

I have stated numerous times on this board about M Harte and you Tyrone people who don't want him to continue are mad in the head, he might be stubborn and he might be this and that but he's a good football manager. If Tyrone haven't beat a top 4 team in so many years will be down to the quality of players you have at your disposal and not M Harte. B careful what you wish for as this could end up another J McCorry fiasco. I'm an Armagh man and i'd gladly take Micky as our manager
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

redhandofgod

There'll be no club football played if canavan and dooher take over. Sure they were stopping U21's playing in non-starred game fixtures this year!

Bensars

Absolutely ludicrous to hear some of the names mentioned. Good players with no track record in management ?

Some serious progress this year and quite a few inexperienced  players now becoming established. To suggest a new manager after going toe to toe with kerry for 65 minutes in an all ireland semi final is in my opinion nuts.

If he wants another year give it to him.

lenny

Quote from: Bensars on September 03, 2015, 11:08:02 AM
Absolutely ludicrous to hear some of the names mentioned. Good players with no track record in management ?

Some serious progress this year and quite a few inexperienced  players now becoming established. To suggest a new manager after going toe to toe with kerry for 65 minutes in an all ireland semi final is in my opinion nuts.

Yes, a few inexperienced players have gained experience but he older, really good players like sean Cavanagh will be leaving the scene very soon and will be hugely missed. He may stay on for another year or 2 but the bottom line is in the big games of the last 3 or 4 years he hasn't had anything like the influence the young sean Cavanagh had. Harte's record over the last few years has been very poor and a decent run this year has swayed a lot of peoples opinion. If tyrone had met a decent team earlier in the qualifiers instead of having a handy run most people on here would be calling for him to be replaced. Also, tyrone's reputation is in the gutter and the relationship with rte has a large part to play in this.

AZOffaly

Hartes record over the last few years has been poor? Didn't they reach the semi finals in '13 as well as this year? Jaysus, if that's poor, there's a lot of counties out there that are miserable altogether.

imtommygunn

Quote from: lenny on September 03, 2015, 11:59:04 AM
Quote from: Bensars on September 03, 2015, 11:08:02 AM

Yes, a few inexperienced players have gained experience but he older, really good players like sean Cavanagh will be leaving the scene very soon and will be hugely missed. He may stay on for another year or 2 but the bottom line is in the big games of the last 3 or 4 years he hasn't had anything like the influence the young sean Cavanagh had. Harte's record over the last few years has been very poor and a decent run this year has swayed a lot of peoples opinion. If tyrone had met a decent team earlier in the qualifiers instead of having a handy run most people on here would be calling for him to be replaced. Also, tyrone's reputation is in the gutter and the relationship with rte has a large part to play in this.

Cavanagh is very much a marked man now though. I would have said the attention he got against Kerry left a massive gap down the middle which Tyrone were able to exploit. Were he not there the Kerry defense would have been a bit more solid down the middle I suspect.

While Tyrone fans think they are set up to threaten for an AI soon I wouldn't be sure they have the scoring power to do that and the question would be where will that come from. Unless Ronan O'Neill steps up I'm not sure I see that in current crop. Add to that Cavanagh and the McMahons who won't last that much longer I think the next few years will be tougher for them than they think...

That being said Harte being  unsuccessful is not challenging for an AI which is harsh on him. Tyrone, this year aside, seem to have failed to bring through very strong minor teams to u21 never mind senior. Maybe that has been addressed a bit now mind.

Fuzzman

Wasn't it 2003 was Mickey Hartes first year or was it 2002?
Wiki said 2002 but I changed it to 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Harte

Looking at the winning managers before and after him down the bottom of that page, no wonder Jack O'Connor didn't like us and Harte.

screenexile

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 03, 2015, 12:49:11 PM
Wasn't it 2003 was Mickey Hartes first year or was it 2002?
Wiki said 2002 but I changed it to 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Harte

Looking at the winning managers before and after him down the bottom of that page, no wonder Jack O'Connor didn't like us and Harte.

Were there not games before Christmas back then? Probably in charge the season 2002-2003.

Rois

We won the national league final in 2002 under MH.
I support him staying on if he helps make it a bit easier to be a Tyrone supporter.