RTE player

Started by Gonzalo15, September 01, 2015, 12:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonzalo15

Looking to watch that documentary on the dubs under caffrey on the rte player(the dubs-story of a season), currently says that it is unavailable to watch in my region?  I'm from the north and seems a bit of a joke to me. Anyone know why this is

screenexile

Quote from: Gonzalo15 on September 01, 2015, 12:37:31 PM
Looking to watch that documentary on the dubs under caffrey on the rte player(the dubs-story of a season), currently says that it is unavailable to watch in my region?  I'm from the north and seems a bit of a joke to me. Anyone know why this is

You're in the North. . . same way you can't watch the Sunday Game up here either I'm afraid!

stibhan

Quote from: screenexile on September 01, 2015, 01:52:12 PM
Quote from: Gonzalo15 on September 01, 2015, 12:37:31 PM

You're in the North. . . same way you can't watch the Sunday Game up here either I'm afraid!

I can watch both up here...

TirEoghaingodeo

Depends on your internet provider. Your IP address must be a UK one, so you can't use on demand from RTE.
You need a vpn, think zenmate or dotvpn are meant to be good for chrome, but not sure what these are like so do a bit of research, or someone else may have some info
Ó dá ligfeadh sí liú amháin gaile, liú catha...

Minder

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2015/08/18/news/northern-users-directed-to-international-version-of-rte-player-app-233038/

Northern users asked to pay €120 to watch RTÉ app
RTÉ has said it is to "explore" why northern viewers have been directed to the international version of the RTÉ player app
RTÉ has pledged to "explore" why viewers in the north have been listed as international customers and prompted to pay a 120 euro subscription fee to access the RTÉ player app.

Fianna Fáil TD for Cavan-Monaghan, Brendan Smith, said he had written to senior management at RTÉ about the matter.

He said: "They (northern users) no longer have access to RTÉ Player app, which they have been using since its launch, and are instead being forced to change to an 'international' version of the application."

"This new app has greatly reduced access to domestic programmes, is clearly intended for overseas users and requires a 120 euro subscription to unlock content that is free on the regular service."

The Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Party Chairman added: "For now, I'm prepared to give RTÉ the benefit of the doubt and hope that it is simply a mistake made by some over enthusiastic programmers unfamiliar with the all-Ireland dimension required of RTÉ."

The TD for Cavan-Monaghan said RTÉ "has an obligation to its viewers across all thirty two counties."

He said: "The idea that 'domestic services' would be limited to residents in the Republic only would be a seriously retrograde step and would represent a repudiation of the good work and commitment of the station over generations."

"Citizens across our country, north and south, should have the same access to RTÉ programming and the same services."

Mr Smith added: "If RTÉ are unwilling to commit to a speedy reversal of the current situation, I will be bringing this up with the Minister for Communications at the earliest opportunity and will be pursuing it in the Dáil when it reconvenes."

The Republic's state broadcaster said that restrictions within the iTunes system meant that that northern users were being redirected to download the international version of the app.

A spokesman said: "RTÉ is aware of the issue and is currently exploring how this can be resolved. RTÉ takes its remit to serve audiences on the island of Ireland seriously."

"RTÉ International Player was introduced earlier this year, via iOS (Apple) app, to make a wider range of RTÉ content available to people outside the island of Ireland; it includes more than 100 hours of free content and an option to pay for additional content."

The RTÉ spokesman added: "Because of restrictions within the iTunes system, people in Northern Ireland with a UK iTunes account are being redirected to download RTÉ Player International on iOS (Apple). Access via desktop and Android is not affected."
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

BennyHarp

It's all because Mickey Harte won't speak to them.
That was never a square ball!!

armaghniac

Smith id from FF who negotiated the Good Friday agreement, but who didn't bother to make provision for data services.
Apart from this app thing,  which only affects Apple and not those on the true path of Android, RTÉ is available in NI to anyone whose IP number is in NI.

That said RTE player is very poor in many cases anyway, it seems to have a minuscule buffer.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 02, 2015, 01:45:58 AM
There's little point in going about the GFA on this - back in 1998 on-demand IP based services that we now have was still only a dream in people's heads.

I am not suggesting that they should have written something about IP numbers in the Good Friday agreement. A general statement about not disadvantaging people wishing to avail of telecommunications on an All Ireland basis would have sufficed and the details could evolve with time, just as TV did when digital TV was introduced.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

take_yer_points

Does anyone in the north know of any ISP that will provide an IoI IP address? I'm with sky at the minute and they can't do it - contract's up in the new year so might move on from them

BennyCake

Anyone know where I can watch the Geldof on Yeats programs from the last couple of weeks? Can't seem to find it on any player.

Esmarelda

Quote from: BennyCake on April 07, 2016, 12:21:00 PM
Anyone know where I can watch the Geldof on Yeats programs from the last couple of weeks? Can't seem to find it on any player.
It's on there. Just search for "A Fantastic Heart".

BennyCake

Not available in my location, apparently.

Main Street

Quote from: Esmarelda on April 07, 2016, 12:51:00 PM
A Fanatic Heart  :)

Not available outside the 26 counties.
And RTE somehow stumbled upon efficiency in their successful method used to  block out access by means of browser (extensions) unblockers.

seafoid

RTE is partitionist anyway . The news is 26 county only . Same with features . they might occasionally throw a few scraps from the table.
You would think that NI was a different country and that Fermanagh was in the south west.

RTE sport is an honourable exception. 

Esmarelda

Quote from: Main Street on April 08, 2016, 01:27:40 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on April 07, 2016, 12:51:00 PM
A Fanatic Heart  :)

Not available outside the 26 counties.
And RTE somehow stumbled upon efficiency in their successful method used to  block out access by means of browser (extensions) unblockers.
:-[