AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PW Nally

All about the way you say/write it. SO'S didn't pull Cooper down he grabbed him around the neck like a turkey and flung him to the ground. It's a yellow maybe even red card - the black card was brought in for more cynical play where as here O'Shea lost the plot momentarily due to Cooper up to his usual niggly ways.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: screenexile on September 07, 2015, 11:53:01 AM
A pull down is a pull down regardless of a dragging or a throwing.

I personally don't see why there should there be a distinction between open play and not?

Let me repeat: could O'Shea have been sanctioned were there no black card at all? Yes, of course, and it would have been at least a yellow (it wasn't a pull down by the way, it was a throw down).

THE BLACK CARD IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR ANY EXISTING SANCTION.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

nrico2006

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 07, 2015, 11:09:41 AM
Quote from: screenexile on September 07, 2015, 10:54:18 AM
As a point on SOS' black card. At no point in the rules does it mention anywhere that a pull down has to be during play. The rule is very simple and very clear, if you deliberately pull someone down it is a black card.

The SOS incident should be used as a textbook example to be honest. Just because Cooper is smarter than SOS is no reason he should just get a yellow. Cooper should have gotten a yellow as well of course but O'Shea should have more sense than that! Also Keegan should have got a black card for the same thing last week!

Cooper should have got a black as per the rules too then going by your logic. 

Of course the rules don't state in play if you are being pedantic about it, although everyone in the world knows that it is meant for offences during the course of play and not an off the ball incident (which shouldn't have been a black anyway as he threw his to the ground as opposed to dragging him down).

I personally don't see why there should there be a distinction between open play and not?

Maybe because the black card was brought in to stop cynical play and to allow more free flowing football.  It wasn't really brought in to deter any of the handbags that go on at times off the ball. 

Theres a big difference between a pull down and a throw too.  Obviously though the wording of the rule has left it open, any kind of tackle which is made to deliberately disrupt a sequence of play should be a black card offence, not just a drag down. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 07, 2015, 12:03:50 PM

Let me repeat: could O'Shea have been sanctioned were there no black card at all? Yes, of course, and it would have been at least a yellow (it wasn't a pull down by the way, it was a throw down).

THE BLACK CARD IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR ANY EXISTING SANCTION.

Why do you say that Fear? A trip, for example, would have gotten you a yellow card in years gone by.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair point AZ, and yes, there are some offences where the black will supplant the yellow (a particularly memorable example from 2013 comes to mind ;) ).

I don't believe that this particular infraction (O'Shea's) comes in under that scope though.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

imtommygunn

The intention was really to avoid professional fouls or the cynical slowing down of play anywhere on the field. This doesn't really apply to off the ball.

That being said you do have a point. By the letter of the law it was a pull down and so he had to get a black. Just like neck high tackles are always yellow. Refs are just following rules.

StephenC

Neil Gallagher did pretty much the same thing to Rory O'Carroll in last years SF and got a yellow.

highorlow

Best of luck to the Dubs. The best team won. No complaints. At the game I was praying for the McMahon goal to be disallowed, even if it was I don't think it would have made a difference to the outcome. We were getting pulled apart around the middle of the field, our lads didn't have the legs this year for a quick turnaround replay. We might be placing too much emphasis on weights whereas the Dubs clearly work hard on stamina and speed.

If any other team under a new management got to a semi final they would be delighted. All things considered our management did ok and were unlucky that Regan got injured during the year. We have a few young lads coming through and it will be good to see them out early in the league. We need 10 fresh replacements to our squad and at least 5 new lads for the 1st fifteen that started the last day.

We also need to tweak our gameplan for the league next year and just stick to it.

The Dubs will probably be thanking us at the end of the month for giving them 2 of their tougher games all year.  I feel they now have been tested harder than Kerry and should win the final.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

Quote from: highorlow on September 07, 2015, 03:05:11 PM
Best of luck to the Dubs. The best team won. No complaints. At the game I was praying for the McMahon goal to be disallowed, even if it was I don't think it would have made a difference to the outcome. We were getting pulled apart around the middle of the field, our lads didn't have the legs this year for a quick turnaround replay. We might be placing too much emphasis on weights whereas the Dubs clearly work hard on stamina and speed.

If any other team under a new management got to a semi final they would be delighted. All things considered our management did ok and were unlucky that Regan got injured during the year. We have a few young lads coming through and it will be good to see them out early in the league. We need 10 fresh replacements to our squad and at least 5 new lads for the 1st fifteen that started the last day.

We also need to tweak our gameplan for the league next year and just stick to it.

The Dubs will probably be thanking us at the end of the month for giving them 2 of their tougher games all year.  I feel they now have been tested harder than Kerry and should win the final.

I think 10 new players in the panel is a bit much to expect highorlow! Can you really say 10 of this years panel don't deserve to be there?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

imtommygunn

Quote from: highorlow on September 07, 2015, 03:05:11 PM

Not that it matters now but I think it's quite unlikely you'd have been pulled apart at MF the way you were if Seamus O'Shea was on.

highorlow

QuoteI think 10 new players in the panel is a bit much to expect highorlow! Can you really say 10 of this years panel don't deserve to be there?

We might as well try and bring in new lads now. Four years with the same type / group of player without the ultimate prize hasn't worked.

Likely to be 3 lads retiring anyhow.

highorlow

QuoteNot that it matters now but I think it's quite unlikely you'd have been pulled apart at MF the way you were if Seamus O'Shea was on.

I think it was more to do with the Dublin subs rather than SOS going off. Andy Moran caused havoc and effectively got us to a four point lead, he was the SOS replacement.

I'd say H & C regret not starting the same team again, we needed another Barry Moran for the last 15 mins.

Syferus

Quote from: highorlow on September 07, 2015, 03:48:24 PM
QuoteI think 10 new players in the panel is a bit much to expect highorlow! Can you really say 10 of this years panel don't deserve to be there?

We might as well try and bring in new lads now. Four years with the same type / group of player without the ultimate prize hasn't worked.

Likely to be 3 lads retiring anyhow.

Dillon seems obvious but who else? I'd be surprised if Andy retires this year tbh.

imtommygunn

Quote from: highorlow on September 07, 2015, 03:52:02 PM
QuoteNot that it matters now but I think it's quite unlikely you'd have been pulled apart at MF the way you were if Seamus O'Shea was on.

I think it was more to do with the Dublin subs rather than SOS going off. Andy Moran caused havoc and effectively got us to a four point lead, he was the SOS replacement.

I'd say H & C regret not starting the same team again, we needed another Barry Moran for the last 15 mins.

You could be right. I think it may have been a bit of both.

The Aristocrat

Hard luck Mayo.

Hard luck to the other folk as well who were cheering on Mayo to see Dublin beat, you may get your wish in the final but hopefully not.

Delighted we won, delighted.