AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

There is another thread about the previous match.

I suggest the focus for this thread should be for the replay.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

macdanger2

Quote from: An Watcher on September 02, 2015, 08:24:01 AM
Moran usually does well but I thought he was poor enough initially. Missed some handy scores n should have squared the ball for a goal.

Yeah, he messed up 1-2 but scored 0-2 after that so it was a mixed bag. Definitely better coming off the bench imo

Ballaghman

Quote from: galwayman on September 02, 2015, 08:17:41 AM
You'd imagine using Andy Moran off the bench for impact again would be the way to go.
He seems to always make an impact when he comes on. Probably better to have him there at the finish? I wouldn't be as sure if any other forward subs having the same impact when introduced.

Would agree with that. Andy is so important to have on at the end of the game, he doesn't seem to have 70 mins in him anymore so I wouldn't start him next day.
I'd agree Moy. I think Kev Mc would be a great option to do what Drake did the last day.  That game might bring David on but I think Mc would be a natural sweeper or link player though as he reads the game well. Boyler should be given a marking job, that's his strength and I'd leave him to concentrate on that.

I wouldn't start Mikey Sweeney, just don't think he has the composure at this level. Impact sub when the game opens up maybe but I'd have Freeman, Ronaldson, Dillon and Regan ahead of him. Dillon must be totally out of form, we really needed him the last day and he didn't get off the bench for second game in a row. Would feel much more confident if he could contribute the next day.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Canalman on September 02, 2015, 09:34:30 AM
Quote from: maigheo on September 02, 2015, 01:02:53 AM
Just listened to Charlie.Jesus christ almighty what planet is he on.Would have expected more from him being an ex county man

Gave an alternate viewpoint to the tsunami of anti Dublin bile over the last few days.
Anyway, a King Canute effort given the amount of Kildare and Kerry journos etc tripping over themselves to put the boot in.

Jaysus that's an impressive complex Canalman :) The Tyrone lads must be agog with admiration at the Dublin lads on here this past week. Their paranoia is only in the ha'penny place :)

Rossfan

They've definitely taken the lead in the bag o' spuds title race ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

highorlow

QuoteI'd have Freeman

He failed to go in 100% for a 50/50 ball towards the end.

Tubberman

Quote from: highorlow on September 02, 2015, 10:01:46 AM
QuoteI'd have Freeman

He failed to go in 100% for a 50/50 ball towards the end.

I thought he did quite well when brought in over the last two games, I'd have him ahead of Mikey Sweeney. Sweeney's attempt that was blocked down was too obvious, you could see it happening. Apart from that, I don't remember him being involved. Freeman offers more imo when on form, but that is always the big risk with him, form.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

highorlow

We need to kick the ball dead at the least from our attacks the next day and need to be more accurate into AOS.

The 1st 3 points for Dublin were from turnovers and failed conversions by us. We were 1-3 to 1 down on minute 13. We won the remainder of the 1st half by 6 to 4.

Maybe the same team again is whats needed and just to tidy up on our attacks.

macdanger2

Quote from: highorlow on September 02, 2015, 10:29:06 AM
We need to kick the ball dead at the least from our attacks the next day and need to be more accurate into AOS.

The 1st 3 points for Dublin were from turnovers and failed conversions by us. We were 1-3 to 1 down on minute 13. We won the remainder of the 1st half by 6 to 4.

Maybe the same team again is whats needed and just to tidy up on our attacks.

We've been dropping balls short all year from inside 35m, wtf is the story with that?

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on September 02, 2015, 09:02:01 AM
You commuting from your home planet aristocrat?
Probably lives in Portlaoise,there are millions of Dub hoors down there.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

deiseach

Quote from: laoislad on September 02, 2015, 12:25:51 PM

So he does live on another planet.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: laoislad on September 02, 2015, 12:25:51 PM

I don't no, I live in the Dublin city beside one of the biggest clubs in Dublin, by the way, the amount of country people in Dublin is unreal you can see it with the flags hanging out the windows etc, we will swap them back, how about that, then put a border fence.

Another image as emerged of Keegan striking Connolly, still frame, floating around social media, wonder if the officials will come down hard on his antics the next day.

highorlow

QuoteWe've been dropping balls short all year for 30 years from inside 35m, wtf is the story with that?

Can't fathom it. Poor decision making. It will be sorted the next day.

I think we only conceded 1 points by allowing the short kick out in the first half, the rest of the Dubs scores were from counter attacks where we coughed up possession.

Is Evan Regan fit? We need someone inside instead of COC that is faster. COC is great in the HF line and will deliver better ball into AIDO. He is also a long range point scorer, he is wasted inside in the FF line.

Parsons is a poor kicker and SOS won't be as bad the next day.

Nihilist

Quote from: highorlow on September 02, 2015, 12:33:58 PM
QuoteWe've been dropping balls short all year for 30 years from inside 35m, wtf is the story with that?

Can't fathom it. Poor decision making. It will be sorted the next day.

I think we only conceded 1 points by allowing the short kick out in the first half, the rest of the Dubs scores were from counter attacks where we coughed up possession.

Is Evan Regan fit? We need someone inside instead of COC that is faster. COC is great in the HF line and will deliver better ball into AIDO. He is also a long range point scorer, he is wasted inside in the FF line.

Parsons is a poor kicker and SOS won't be as bad the next day.

not a lot of options for Mayo.
Regan - never played all year since injury in Killarney. Hard to see him coming in now.
Conroy - gone.
Sweeney/Ronaldson - too small and OK for Conacht maybe but found out against Dublin.
Dillon - too slow. He has lost the pace.

That leaves just Freman and Andy Moran.

backs are as bad.
If both Vaughan and Cunniffe out then only subs are..
Coen, Drake, Harrisson, Durkin  - all untested at this level. I say that although Drake and Durcan did play the last day it's their first season and they're not even close yet to being a guaranteed sub never mind starters.

muppet

A couple of the Dub posters here have lost a lot of credibility. But the rest haven't. The supporters I met after the match were terrific. My little lad (6) was completely overcome with emotion by the end (the rollercoaster finish overloaded him) and some Dublin lads came over talking to him asking what was wrong. You just don't get that interaction against other counties, never mind at other sports.

Both sets of supporters will feel that there are many bad mistakes that can be easily ironed out for Saturday and both will be optimistic. But for us it is all about getting the right gameplay in place, from the start, and then selecting the personnel to deliver it. And that is easier said than done. Do we push up and start Andy? He consistently makes the biggest impact when introduced so I would rather hold him till later. I would consider starting Freeman personally.

If we are going for our running game as plan A, or joint plan A with the long ball, then Patrick Durkan must be worth a look. He carried very well when he came on. Keeper is a big call. Hennelly did nothing wrong and made two big saves when called upon. As an aside it seems tough on a keeper who makes a diving save, not to be able to touch the ball while on the ground. The 2nd goal came from this situation and something similar happened to Clarke against Donegal, although he conceded a free.

We need more forwards involved in open play though. Considering how physical the last day was I am not sure it is the place for a Mikey Sweeney type player, or even Alan Dillon. Holmes seems to like playing big men close to goal so I am guessing Freeman, although they could do something from left field like they did with Drake. Maybe Regan, or Danny Kirby considering the physicality?

We definitely need more from our half forward line in terms of attacking themselves and/or supporting AOS. But then they are kept busy chasing the runners the other direction.

Hopefully we are talking more about football after this one, I have a funny feeling though that this could be very close again. What odds on another draw?
MWWSI 2017