Ulster club senior football championship - 2015

Started by JoG2, August 27, 2015, 09:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Quote from: shawshank on October 20, 2015, 12:44:47 PM
I think Scotstown are a serious threat to Slaughtneil. They have some very talented boys. They also had Ballinderry by the throat the last time they played in the Ulster club two years ago, only for a last minute goal to win it for Ballinderry who went on to win the Ulster club. In my view Scotstown are the best equipped team from Monaghan in quite a while capable of a serious challenge.

Yeah I'd have to agree with that. Clontibret had a decent run last year with a couple of good scalps, but in reality we got a good rub of the green in a couple of games and were on borrowed time. Our extreme reliance on McManus came back to haunt us against Slaughtneil when they blotted him out. Our best chance of an Ulster was in the mid to late 00's when we had a better team but were unlucky to come up against great Cross and Galls teams.

Scotstown are well primed for this Ulster campaign I feel. Two years ago it was this team's first experience of it and they only lost out to the eventual winners by a point like you say. I haven't been following Slaughtneil's progress but do they have many dual players? Surely that will be a big factor regarding fatigue. Scotstown don't have that problem, didn't exert themselves in the final and had a relatively easy route to the final while many of the other contenders played replay after replay just to reach the semis.

soldier of destiny

Quote from: Schkite on October 20, 2015, 01:29:41 PM

Yeah I'd have to agree with that. Clontibret had a decent run last year with a couple of good scalps, but in reality we got a good rub of the green in a couple of games and were on borrowed time. Our extreme reliance on McManus came back to haunt us against Slaughtneil when they blotted him out. Our best chance of an Ulster was in the mid to late 00's when we had a better team but were unlucky to come up against great Cross and Galls teams.

Scotstown are well primed for this Ulster campaign I feel. Two years ago it was this team's first experience of it and they only lost out to the eventual winners by a point like you say. I haven't been following Slaughtneil's progress but do they have many dual players? Surely that will be a big factor regarding fatigue. Scotstown don't have that problem, didn't exert themselves in the final and had a relatively easy route to the final while many of the other contenders played replay after replay just to reach the semis.

I would also be interested to know the extent of the overlap between their football and hurling squads.

The big disadvantage for Scotstown coming into this game is the lack of tough matches that they will have experienced.  They coasted through the Monaghan Championship and it will be a big step up in intensity for them on November 1st.

general_lee

Slaughtneil to me come across a very balanced team, strong in defence, mf and up front. They probably lack a marquee forward but seem to have a very strong spine. Probably a good thing as other teams don't really have anyone to try and stop other than maybe sammy and even he roams about.

JoG2

Quote from: soldier of destiny on October 21, 2015, 01:29:45 PM

I would also be interested to know the extent of the overlap between their football and hurling squads.

The big disadvantage for Scotstown coming into this game is the lack of tough matches that they will have experienced.  They coasted through the Monaghan Championship and it will be a big step up in intensity for them on November 1st.

Young Sé McGuigan, Karl and Chris McKaigue, Brendan Rogers, young O'Doherty are all starters as far as I know in the hurling and football. I'm not a big hurling man, maybe there's more in and around the panel

Link

Quote from: JoG2 on October 21, 2015, 01:45:11 PM
Quote from: soldier of destiny on October 21, 2015, 01:29:45 PM

Young Sé McGuigan, Karl and Chris McKaigue, Brendan Rogers, young O'Doherty are all starters as far as I know in the hurling and football. I'm not a big hurling man, maybe there's more in and around the panel

+ Paul McNeill, Sean Cassidy. Few football subs start in hurling Oisin O'Doherty, Peader Kearney, Meehaul McGrath, Mark Cassidy, Minor Shane McGuigan. McGrath hasn't played much cship football and I think McGuigan may have played against Ballycran.

armaghniac

Armagh TV to stream the Cross Cargin game.
http://www.armaghgaa.net/crossmaglen-v-cargin-to-be-streamed/
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Max Payne

Quote from: armaghniac on October 30, 2015, 02:18:25 AM
Armagh TV to stream the Cross Cargin game.
http://www.armaghgaa.net/crossmaglen-v-cargin-to-be-streamed/

Armaghnaic, I was speaking to a club player in Armagh recently who said that he couldn't believe how bad a shape Cross are in. A few boys carrying serious timber. Granted they are able to coast through Armagh but are they only start to ramp up their training now?

FermPundit

3 clubs within a 7 mile radius playing in Ulster club competitions tomorrow at Senior, Intermediate and Junior. Trillick, Irvinestown and Coa.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

general_lee

downtown

oh, i thought it was at 2-30

and score in the trillick game?

general_lee

2-4 to 0-4 To Trillick at ht. N Conaill red card and down to 14 and Brick Malloy off injured.

J70

2-6 to 1-8 now to Trillick

12 mins into second half