Ulster club senior football championship - 2015

Started by JoG2, August 27, 2015, 09:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Slaughtneil and Scotstown meet next, Slaughtneil will likely be decent favourites being the holders, but I'd give Scotstown every chance of winning it. With the two Hughes's they're strong going forward and young McCarthy is quality aswell. Beggan is a great last line of defence and they've got a strong spine generally.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Schkite on October 18, 2015, 07:54:55 PM
Slaughtneil and Scotstown meet next, Slaughtneil will likely be decent favourites being the holders, but I'd give Scotstown every chance of winning it. With the two Hughes's they're strong going forward and young McCarthy is quality aswell. Beggan is a great last line of defence and they've got a strong spine generally.

Scotstown are strong going forward but they have a very suspect FB line. Caufield is a grand payer at wing back but he is not a central player, particularly full back. McArdle and Sherlock are dodgy. McArdle had 4-5 balls stripped off him today or dropped through simple mishandling. If they get a dry ball they'll match any team, a mucky sticky day and I would ask a few questions.

oakleaflad

Quote from: regal on October 18, 2015, 06:59:53 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 18, 2015, 05:01:07 PM
Quote from: PearseM55 on October 18, 2015, 04:57:59 PM
Slaughtneil finish with a 19 point win. Have to be serious contenders

4-13 to 1-04. Nothing special ;-) 

I'd imagine the score line says more about Fermanagh football than it does about slaughtneil.

A special club perhaps, however, I don't think this s'neill team will frighten the serious contenders for Ulster this year, albeit they are on the easier side of the draw. But time will tell.

I hope you didn't avail of the 9/4 on green lough after today's 10 point defeat.
I don't think the first part is in question. County champions in football, hurling, camogie and county minor champions at the football too. Reigning Ulster club football champions and hurlers and Camogie team in an Ulster final this weekend. Some of their players will play their 13th game in 11 weeks in the midst of this success.
Do you think Slaughtneil aren't serious contenders?

JoG2

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 19, 2015, 12:03:30 PM

I'd imagine the score line says more about Fermanagh football than it does about slaughtneil.

A special club perhaps, however, I don't think this s'neill team will frighten the serious contenders for Ulster this year, albeit they are on the easier side of the draw. But time will tell.

I hope you didn't avail of the 9/4 on green lough after today's 10 point defeat.
I don't think the first part is in question. County champions in football, hurling, camogie and county minor champions at the football too. Reigning Ulster club football champions and hurlers and Camogie team in an Ulster final this weekend. Some of their players will play their 13th game in 11 weeks in the midst of this success.

wonder how the Robbies would get on in the ultra competitive minefield that is the Armagh championship? Would they roll over like the rest and get their bellies tickled? Doubt it

Link

Is that you chrissy? serious first world problems when people are complaining about the number of games. Price of success at the end of the day and I know other duel players in ballinascreen, dungiven, banagher, lavey would love to be in their position. Really don't get it!

oakleaflad

Quote from: Link on October 19, 2015, 12:19:57 PM

Is that you chrissy? serious first world problems when people are complaining about the number of games. Price of success at the end of the day and I know other duel players in ballinascreen, dungiven, banagher, lavey would love to be in their position. Really don't get it!
It's not, I did see his tweet though. I wasn't complaining just highlighting the fact that some players have so many games at this time of the year due to how successful they are.

JoG2

Quote from: Link on October 19, 2015, 12:19:57 PM

I didn't read that as a complaint myself, merely pointing out effort it takes to go this far in both codes  ie how special this group of players is as some on here don't seem to think they are

regal

Quote from: JoG2 on October 19, 2015, 12:14:29 PM

wonder how the Robbies would get on in the ultra competitive minefield that is the Armagh championship? Would they roll over like the rest and get their bellies tickled? Doubt it

A club like slaughtneil would be be a welcome addition to the Armagh championship as they certainly wouldn't be rolling over to crossmaglen.

Regarding being serious contenders for Ulster again, I just think they're behind a few of the other teams in terms of genuine quality. I don't see any real star (county) players there. Kilcoo have a handful of top players, cross have the kernans and a few others, scotstown have the Hughes, cargin have quite a few fine county players. S'neill seem to be relying on a brilliant spirit and self belief and best of luck to them.

I see both s'neil and scotstown are Evs for the QF match.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: regal on October 19, 2015, 09:28:53 PM

A club like slaughtneil would be be a welcome addition to the Armagh championship as they certainly wouldn't be rolling over to crossmaglen.

Regarding being serious contenders for Ulster again, I just think they're behind a few of the other teams in terms of genuine quality. I don't see any real star (county) players there. Kilcoo have a handful of top players, cross have the kernans and a few others, scotstown have the Hughes, cargin have quite a few fine county players. S'neill seem to be relying on a brilliant spirit and self belief and best of luck to them.

Rogers and McKaigue are as good as defenders around as you'll find, probably lacking a really renowned forward from what I've seen of them over the past few years although Christopher Bradley looks like a serious operator at club level.

It will be between Slaughtneil, Kilcoo and Cross this year. I watched the second half of the Monaghan final yesterday, I've been hearing quite a bit with regard to Scotstown but I must say I was a little disappointed in them. Harps had plenty of opportunities to get scores and Beggan made a great save midway through the second half which if it had been scored (should have) there would be a point in it and Harps were completely on top at that stage. Scotstown to me seem to be hugely reliant on Darren Hughes and very vulnerable at the back. I expect Slaughtneill will put Rogers on him in a man marking job and they'll have too much for Scotstown.

Cross and Kilcoo should come through their games pretty handy, the other QF is a 50/50 for me.

Schkite

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 19, 2015, 09:39:43 PM

Rogers and McKaigue are as good as defenders around as you'll find, probably lacking a really renowned forward from what I've seen of them over the past few years although Christopher Bradley looks like a serious operator at club level.

It will be between Slaughtneil, Kilcoo and Cross this year. I watched the second half of the Monaghan final yesterday, I've been hearing quite a bit with regard to Scotstown but I must say I was a little disappointed in them. Harps had plenty of opportunities to get scores and Beggan made a great save midway through the second half which if it had been scored (should have) there would be a point in it and Harps were completely on top at that stage. Scotstown to me seem to be hugely reliant on Darren Hughes and very vulnerable at the back. I expect Slaughtneill will put Rogers on him in a man marking job and they'll have too much for Scotstown.

Cross and Kilcoo should come through their games pretty handy, the other QF is a 50/50 for me.

The damage was really done in the first half by Scotstown, i.e. the goals. They just had the Harps at arms length after that. Yes, that goal chance would have cut the lead well back but to be honest I don't think they were ever going to lose that, and I feel they could lift it a gear or two from that showing. Harps had neither the experience or quality to come back from the two first half goals, but it's a young team and it'll be interesting if they can build on this now. Scotstown were strong favourites and would have been fully expecting the win, they'd be well prepared for the next stage I'd imagine and ready to up the performance as they'll need to. They are a bit top heavy alright and will rely on their attack to win games moreso than their defence so it'll be an interesting clash against Slaughtneil.

While Darren is a very important player I don't think they're extremely reliant on him. Kieran is also a big threat while Conor McCarthy continues to impress, and another county player Shane Carey was fairly poor I thought on Sunday so he can improve alot. It's not the same as say last year when Slaughtneil met Clontibret and they dominated us, and McManus was extremely well marshalled, but we've little else in an attacking sense being honest. We were well off the pace and yet only lost by 5 which flattered us. Scotstown have much more threats up front these days but equally it's very likely they could concede more, so it'll be an interesting game.

shawshank

I think Scotstown are a serious threat to Slaughtneil. They have some very talented boys. They also had Ballinderry by the throat the last time they played in the Ulster club two years ago, only for a last minute goal to win it for Ballinderry who went on to win the Ulster club. In my view Scotstown are the best equipped team from Monaghan in quite a while capable of a serious challenge.

shawshank

Regal a seriously naïve post on Slaughtneil, my mum told me if you know nothing, say nothing, then no one will know you know nothing lol ;D ;) :o

brokencrossbar1

Slaughtniel are strong contenders,  the only thing that may go against them is fatigue.  It takes an awful lot to do back to back titles.  They have the benefit of a reasonably easy game to get into the rhythm for Ulster,  Scotstown had a reasonably easy win in the Monaghan final so they will also be fresh enough.  Scotstown will feel they misses the boat the last run in Ulster so will feel they have more to give.  The winners of that game will make the Ulster final on that side of the draw without a doubt. 

SaffronHeart

I wouldn't write off Glenties Crossbar they looked good from what i briefly seen of them on TG4. I also think Cargin can give Cross somewhat of a game.I would be extremely surprised if they win but depending on their often fragile mindset they can run them close because they certainly have the talent.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: SaffronHeart on October 20, 2015, 01:09:17 PM
I wouldn't write off Glenties Crossbar they looked good from what i briefly seen of them on TG4. I also think Cargin can give Cross somewhat of a game.I would be extremely surprised if they win but depending on their often fragile mindset they can run them close because they certainly have the talent.

I would imagine Glenties will be OK but not at the level of Scotstown or Slaughtniel who have a bit of pedigree.  I haven't seen Cargin but they do have good players.  They will no doubt be ready for Cross and if they get it going they will be well fit for us.  I reckon Kilcoo will make it on that side of the draw,