Is Stormont going to fall?

Started by Denn Forever, August 21, 2015, 10:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Nigel White on August 26, 2015, 12:58:56 PM
Iron Mike pulling out of Executive and going to form opposition. That should put the cat among the pigeons.

...if the rest of Unionism follows suit .Will make him look even more clueless if the others sit tight.

haranguerer

This is true...it will put a lot of pressure on the DUP though, they'll have to justify their decision to stay and its hard to see how they'll get away with taking a softer line. Be great if they did, he would look like some eejit. Unanimous though he said...

screenexile

Nesbitt is a **** of the highest order and he's way off base here. . . This will make or break him and I hope it will break him. The ordinary man on the street knows that it was an old score settled by ex IRA men and that we're not on the verge of another onslaught of terrorism.

Nesbitt has forced his hand here and while he will get a few hard line defectors from the DUP and a few flegger c***ts (Bwyson and Wullie) on his side I think the regular Joe Prod on the street knows this is just a bit of posturing and has no real consequence to the peace process as a whole!!

Orior

Quote from: screenexile on August 26, 2015, 02:08:21 PM
Nesbitt is a **** of the highest order and he's way off base here. . . This will make or break him and I hope it will break him. The ordinary man on the street knows that it was an old score settled by ex IRA men and that we're not on the verge of another onslaught of terrorism.

Nesbitt has forced his hand here and while he will get a few hard line defectors from the DUP and a few flegger c***ts (Bwyson and Wullie) on his side I think the regular Joe Prod on the street knows this is just a bit of posturing and has no real consequence to the peace process as a whole!!

To be fair, Nesbitt is better than his three predecessors. Maybe you are hoping for the tasty looking bird to take his place?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Quote from: Orior on August 26, 2015, 02:17:18 PM

To be fair, Nesbitt is better than his three predecessors. Maybe you are hoping for the tasty looking bird to take his place?

She's all yours mate. . .

screenexile

McGuinness reckons it's Inter Unionist Rivalry rather than Sinn Fein's commitment to peace . . . he has a point!

naka

Iron Mike pulling out of Executive and going to form opposition. That should put the cat among the pigeons.
sdlp and alliance should follow suit

LCohen

Quote from: general_lee on August 25, 2015, 03:01:51 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 25, 2015, 12:54:03 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 25, 2015, 12:09:48 AM
Awful silence from the SF gang of Gaaboarders ;)

I also noticed a lack of comment in the press from SF. But why should they have to make comments about an old boys network?
McGuinness, Adams and Kelly have condemned it. Nothing much else they can do or say really, other than just sit tight and wait for the next scandal, headline or whatever else to come along.

There is plenty more they can do.

On the McGuigan murder they can appeal for witnesses to the murder (or its preparation etc) to come forward to the police?
They can give witnesses confidence that speaking to the PSNI is acceptable and not damaging to their personal safety
They can use their influence to make sure there is no threat to the safety of witnesses who come forward.

On wider criminal activity by republicans they can make similar appeals and use their influence in similar ways.

That is ofcourse if they have any interest in showing leadership. Real Leadership

LCohen

Quote from: haranguerer on August 26, 2015, 01:04:10 PM
Ridiculous; looks very much like an attempt to show they're still relevant and do have influence. It seems they'd be only too delighted if the Troubles started up again just so they could say 'I told you so'

Their "delight" at the troubles starting up agins is based on what exactly?

Is their any threat of the troubles starting up? Who is itching to get all violent again?

LCohen

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on August 26, 2015, 01:05:47 PM

...if the rest of Unionism follows suit .Will make him look even more clueless if the others sit tight.

Not really. It was probable that he would have went into opposition anyway even without this republican feuding spilling over into murder

LCohen

I think you are getting your kacks in a twist here.

Nobody thinks we are on the verge of another onslaught of terrorism. But that is not the same as sayng that murder is acceptable if it is merely intra-group score settling.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: LCohen on August 26, 2015, 03:05:56 PM

I also noticed a lack of comment in the press from SF. But why should they have to make comments about an old boys network?
McGuinness, Adams and Kelly have condemned it. Nothing much else they can do or say really, other than just sit tight and wait for the next scandal, headline or whatever else to come along.

On the McGuigan murder they can appeal for witnesses to the murder (or its preparation etc) to come forward to the police?
They can give witnesses confidence that speaking to the PSNI is acceptable and not damaging to their personal safety
They can use their influence to make sure there is no threat to the safety of witnesses who come forward.

On wider criminal activity by republicans they can make similar appeals and use their influence in similar ways.

That is ofcourse if they have any interest in showing leadership. Real Leadership

I don't agree with your suggestions of what SF should do more of. For the simple reason that those with the guns / those willing to use them aren't going to listen to the shinners anyway.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on August 26, 2015, 03:40:48 PM
Quote from: LCohen on August 26, 2015, 03:05:56 PM

I don't agree with your suggestions of what SF should do more of. For the simple reason that those with the guns / those willing to use them aren't going to listen to the shinners anyway.

Exactly.

haranguerer

Quote from: LCohen on August 26, 2015, 03:08:13 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on August 26, 2015, 01:04:10 PM
Ridiculous; looks very much like an attempt to show they're still relevant and do have influence. It seems they'd be only too delighted if the Troubles started up again just so they could say 'I told you so'

Their "delight" at the troubles starting up agins is based on what exactly?

Is their any threat of the troubles starting up? Who is itching to get all violent again?

ffs...clearly hyperbole for effect. And the army rape post seems to have also been over your head