GAA Special Bets for the Football Championship

Started by Lone Shark, April 26, 2007, 02:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

I don't think Fermanagh will win but might be worth a punt on the spread. They'll surely get 6 or 7 points and with their injuries Tyrone are unlikely to rack up a huge score, so a +5 spread seems might be worth a go.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Loup Bandit

Quote from: armaghniac on May 17, 2007, 03:30:20 PM
I don't think Fermanagh will win but might be worth a punt on the spread. They'll surely get 6 or 7 points and with their injuries Tyrone are unlikely to rack up a huge score, so a +5 spread seems might be worth a go.

I totally agree Armaghniac! any idea on what the handicap betting would be in the tyrone game??
id be more assured tho when i see the starting line-up's. Would need a big game from fermanagh, big displays from Owens, Brewster, Little and the likes.

Bensars

as a tyrone man i would have to agree, that the spread is tempting.

Someone put up earlier that some bookie was offer fermanagh at +7 but still havent found out who.

Stranworst

can't see Tyrone hammering them with all their injuries so I'm gonna back Fermanagh with the handicap

Lone Shark

First of all I'm well aware of what happened last year with Derry - I didn't work for Ladbrokes then, and I was on it myself. Our GAA offering back then was not great, the whole point of all this is to try and turn that perception around.

As for the fibs - the bet was live on our website from early yesterday morning - no bets were struck within the first few hours of it being live, let alone within minutes - the first two bets were both substantial ones, that hit the alarm level, hence it was put back up with the low levels you encountered. I'd be a lot more inclined to try and do you favours (as most people on this board will testify that I have done when asked) if you weren't making up lies yourself trying to convince me that you were hard done by. Nobody bet on the event within an hour of it being made live, let alone within minutes as you claim.

Now as to what happened, once the two large bets made the event "alarm". One of our internet operators took the decision that since I was off work, to put back up the event for small stakes until they got to contact me. (They are all in London, obviously not familiar with Nicky Rackard hurling) I was back on this morning so I looked at the bets and cut the price, and now you can get on a decent bet again. I've no idea what happened in the shop - if you send me a pm with which shop and what time exactly I can investigate. Ideally if you did strike a bet with a reduced stake then the docket number would help also.

Also I was the initial Fermanagh plus seven, but again two days of bets has it into 8/15 I'm afraid. Sadly the early bird tends to catch the worm with these things.

Stranworst

Paddy Power has Fermanagh plus five at 10/11, might look around tomorrow see if anywhere gonna go evens on it.

Loup Bandit

So Lone Shark, tell me how do i get a job like yours?  ;D sounds right up my street.

what did fermanagh +7 originally open at??

As i say i'll wait to see the starting line-up's before i bet on it.

Stranworst

I've been working part time in a bookies now for about two years surely I could do your job Lone Shark wha??  ;)

Lone Shark

By all means. Anyone who feels confident enough to put up their prices on Nicky Rackard Hurling, Tommy Murphy football, Galway senior football championship, Waterford Hurling Championship, first goalscorer (on Tuesday) for teams that don't get named until the Sunday, O'Byrne Cup matches, McGrath Cup matchs, club matches, college matches, schoola matches, Irish elections, Irish Soccer, AIB club rugby and top scorer markets in both football and hurling is welcome to apply.

Apologies, I'm in dog awful form today, and that Apple Picker character giving out because the price was gone before he got to get his bet on has my back up a bit.

Loup Bandit

Right enough Lone Shark, how did you get into that post?

Any vacancies for northern Correspondents / compilers??  ;)

Think im goin to back Mayo this weekend, maybe double it up with fermanagh plus a few points.

SimpleSimon

I too tried to get a bet on online and then this morning on the phone. Both times all I got was a minimal stake! I don't by any means think my bet was nailed on but would have liked a decent punt, the guy on the phone couldn't have apologised more, but said it was up to the trader ie you. I know you've a job to do out the price was still up til near lunchtime today!

Lone Shark

Quote from: Loup Bandit on May 17, 2007, 04:35:56 PM
Right enough Lone Shark, how did you get into that post?

Any vacancies for northern Correspondents / compilers??  ;)

Think im goin to back Mayo this weekend, maybe double it up with fermanagh plus a few points.

Got into it by way of actuary degree, then served my time in Powers, going through shops, phone etc. I'm not long enough in the job to go hiring people yet, but if you want to email me a few details, I can keep you in mind if anything comes up. Drop me a pm and I'll give you contact details. I'm not sure if there would be an opportunity for something Ulster specific, but you never know.

Quote from: SimpleSimon on May 17, 2007, 04:39:17 PM
I too tried to get a bet on online and then this morning on the phone. Both times all I got was a minimal stake! I don't by any means think my bet was nailed on but would have liked a decent punt, the guy on the phone couldn't have apologised more, but said it was up to the trader ie you. I know you've a job to do out the price was still up til near lunchtime today!

I'm working late tonight, so I wasn't available to take the phone this morning. I know it's no consolation, but all I can say to you is that it was there all day yesterday - I flagged it up on the board that I had it done, and I'm afraid that others were in first to get the benefit of what was clearly an incorrect price. I'm 5/2 now, and people are still betting - all I can say is that if that price is any good to you move fast, because I'd say I'll be cutting again soon. I know you have no way of knowing that I'm not doing a Boyles on it and pretending that I've laid a price that never existed, but I'm afraid you're goin to have to take my word on that one.

Stranworst

applepicker1

well lone shark maybe i did tell a wee fib myself, i didnt try to place a bet cos when i checked wat i cud get on MIN<MAX it was 35.50, so knowing that you have prob marked me up i went to one of your shops asked for 600 at 4s and was giving 200 at 4s and the bal at 7/2. 4 hours later it was still 4/1 on the website. Can you explain this? The shop staff were very helpful and apologised thoroughly as they said they dont usually refuse a bet. Lone shark i am agreeing with you that it is a very volatile market to price up but just say that's why you won't lay bets instead of trying to cover your tracks. Armagh are far from a sure thing for this anyway, so dnt know wat the hassle is
I think you are the person who has been pricing up the GAA this time last year and it was you who put up 9/4 derry (maybe bigger) when they wr no bigger than a 1/3 chance

Lone Shark

Quote from: applepicker1 on May 17, 2007, 05:23:11 PM
well lone shark maybe i did tell a wee fib myself, i didnt try to place a bet cos when i checked wat i cud get on MIN<MAX it was 35.50, so knowing that you have prob marked me up i went to one of your shops asked for 600 at 4s and was giving 200 at 4s and the bal at 7/2. 4 hours later it was still 4/1 on the website. Can you explain this? The shop staff were very helpful and apologised thoroughly as they said they dont usually refuse a bet. Lone shark i am agreeing with you that it is a very volatile market to price up but just say that's why you won't lay bets instead of trying to cover your tracks. Armagh are far from a sure thing for this anyway, so dnt know wat the hassle is
I think you are the person who has been pricing up the GAA this time last year and it was you who put up 9/4 derry (maybe bigger) when they wr no bigger than a 1/3 chance

First of all that's the first I've heard of that bet - and while I've no huge problem with it, I should have been notified - I suppose it's too much to ask you could tell me which shop?

I never said that I would take on all comers - anyone with even a fleeting knowledge of the betting market (and you clearly know more than this) knows that the scale of the bet laid is in proportion to the scale of the event, and I make no apologies for that. In the absence of a betting market, this becomes all the more magnified. I hope all the people out there who just bet with PP out of habit take note of the fact thatwhile they are gtting loads of headlines for taking bets on Mr Tayto to be next taoiseach, they don't price anything like this. So of course I will be careful - but equally I want to try and accomodate people too. The fact that you have 600 on alreeady though suggests you did okay.

As for me being here last year, I can assure you I wasn't. I was working for Unibet in London and playing with Round Towers over there at the time. A brief check of my post history will confirm this. 

Stranworst, you're a gentleman - remind me to pass on my boss's email address so you can share your sentiments with him .....  ;)