Tipperary vs. Galway All Ireland semi final 2015

Started by Premier Emperor, August 11, 2015, 10:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Would love to see Galway win it but you'd have to worry about them against KK, they dominated large parts of that game yesterday and could very easily have lost it.

I wonder was Callanan a bit shook after the knock to the head he took for the penalty, would someone else have been better off taking it? Easy say that after he doesn't get the goal from it I suppose

paddyoslabs

well done Galway,great gutsy show,huge improvement from last year in thurles.Great game also,we will have to regroup and bring in some new blood for next year,Tipp will bounce back from this I hope.best of luck to Galway

imtommygunn

Would love to see galway win the final but think they will need to shape up a bti tactically. The slowness of moving / changing on Callinan was pretty bad and most frees they were dropping into the danger area were caught by Paudie Maher - the man Tipp brought back to deal with it. I thought they should have dealt with that too. That said they played very well and look like they *might* match Kilkenny's intensity on yesterday's showing but with how they played yesterday they should have won by a lot more.

Milltown Row2

Galway's main issues of late was putting back to back good performances.... They would need to lift it another gear and cut out son of the wides and dropped shots to keeper... And regardless of the amount of points they scored yesterday they will need 2 goals and keep Kilkenny to 2 goals or less to win... If TJ is marking the same player I'd expect the same scoreline from TJ...

Makes for a cracking final... Oh and Galway need to start on front foot. Very nervy yesterday early doors
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 17, 2015, 03:48:12 PM
Galway's main issues of late was putting back to back good performances.... They would need to lift it another gear and cut out son of the wides and dropped shots to keeper... And regardless of the amount of points they scored yesterday they will need 2 goals and keep Kilkenny to 2 goals or less to win... If TJ is marking the same player I'd expect the same scoreline from TJ...

Makes for a cracking final... Oh and Galway need to start on front foot. Very nervy yesterday early doors

One thing of note about Galway yesterday was their size. I'd say most (other than Mannion on Callanan) were bigger than their opposite opponent and had a bit of pace about them especially in the forwards.
I still think Joey Holden can be got at if they can isolate him one on one near his own square. He'd the benefit of a free Paul Murphy the last day out, if Murphy can be kept busy then there's something to be gained there IMO. In Eoin Murphy, Kilkenny have the best all round keeper about, whose outfield excursions with club and Waterford IT stand to him when he needs to sweep up for his defence.
This current Kilkenny team are still very good, but they're not invincible.

nrico2006

Is the penalty for throwing the hurl a straight red?  Saw it happen at the weekend and have seen it happen a few times in recent weeks during big games when players are through shooting for goal and the defender chucks the hurl at them.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NAG1

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 18, 2015, 09:26:29 AM
Is the penalty for throwing the hurl a straight red?  Saw it happen at the weekend and have seen it happen a few times in recent weeks during big games when players are through shooting for goal and the defender chucks the hurl at them.

This is one of these unwritten things it seems in these big inter county games, a player can launch his hurl at an attacker and try to interfere with his shot as a last ditch effort. As long as the forward a) scores and b) isnt actually struck/ injured by the thrown hurl, it seems to be fair game.

Try it in a club game and you will soon see the cards flying.

Pub Bore

Not sure of the rules in hurling but was Canning lucky not to get the line after about 7 or 8 mins for hitting a Tipp player in the face with his stick??

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Pub Bore on August 18, 2015, 12:23:41 PM
Not sure of the rules in hurling but was Canning lucky not to get the line after about 7 or 8 mins for hitting a Tipp player in the face with his stick??
accidental
there has to be intent

AZOffaly

Accidental can be a red if it's deemed wild. However there's no way that was really a wild pull. Still a yellow and he was probably relieved it was a yellow. Would have been a terrible sending off though, and would have ruined the game.

Pub Bore

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 18, 2015, 02:12:39 PM
Quote from: Pub Bore on August 18, 2015, 12:23:41 PM
accidental
there has to be intent

Don't think intent comes into it?

Pub Bore

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2015, 02:17:26 PM
Accidental can be a red if it's deemed wild. However there's no way that was really a wild pull. Still a yellow and he was probably relieved it was a yellow. Would have been a terrible sending off though, and would have ruined the game.

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/2015%20Official%20Guide%20-%20Part%202.pdf

Category III Infractions

5.17 To strike or attempt to strike an opponent with a hurley, with minimal force.

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -
(i) Order offender off.

Category IV Infractions

5.26 To strike an opponent with a hurley, either with force or causing injury.

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS –
(i) Order offender off.

I may be wrong but my reading of this is that since the Tipp player required treatment then it's clearly a case of 5.26 and therefore a straight red for Canning??  AZ in hindsight it might have spoiled the game but do we excuse players red cards if it might spoil the game??

deiseach

AZOffaly

I think in that case we'd have 100 sendings off every weekend. Loads of lads get struck with the hurley on knuckles, shins etc. For a sending off in reality it has to be deliberate, or willfully wild.

deiseach

It was careless, bordering on the reckless. You don't see 100 instances of that every weekend.