9. Maher
10. O'Brien
11. Kilkenny
12. Connolly
13. Brogan
14. O'Donoghue
15. McManus

Sean123rock

Keith Higgins was destroyed on Sunday, no chance of an all star. Was watching the highlights of Andrews scores and Higgins marking was shocking.

Sean123rock

1. Kealy
2. Philly McMahon
3. R O Carroll
4. McCarron
5. McCaffrey
6. Keegan
7. Harte
8. Parsons
9. Maher
10. Diarmuid O'Connor
11. Kilkenny
12. Stephen O'Brien
13. Brogan
14. Aidan O'Shea
15. McManus

criostlinn

I cant understand how Connolly is getting mentioned in some of these teams. Besides his sending off he was anonymous in the two games against Mayo. He had a good Leinster Championship but sure Aiden O Shea ran amok below in Connacht.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Sean123rock on September 08, 2015, 09:43:09 AM
Keith Higgins was destroyed on Sunday, no chance of an all star. Was watching the highlights of Andrews scores and Higgins marking was shocking.

Over the two games Andrews gave Higgins as much trouble as I've ever seen anyone give him. Of course it's also possible that Higgins is beginning to slip a bit now. He's 30 which is not ancient but a serious amount of milage done in those legs.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 08, 2015, 02:59:56 PM

Over the two games Andrews gave Higgins as much trouble as I've ever seen anyone give him. Of course it's also possible that Higgins is beginning to slip a bit now. He's 30 which is not ancient but a serious amount of milage done in those legs.

Andrews seemed a strange match-up for Mayo to take anyways. Higgins would have been much more suited to Brogan or Rock but the way Rock has been playing you would have been mad wasting Higgins on him.

Maroon Manc

I've seen COC's name mentioned a few times, he won't be anywhere near getting on although his brother will certainly be in the running for one.

Beffs

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 07, 2015, 11:28:31 AM

So at the moment, it's 7 Kerry, 4 Dublin, 1 each for Mayo, Tyrone & Monaghan. I'd say the ones with an asterix are the most likely to lose out depending on how the final goes.

POTY looks to be Moran's if Kerry win and between BB and Connolly if Dublin win.

I'd say all the red card/DRA controversy has scuppered Connollys chances of winning it. If he had two big games in the 2 semi finals, he may have been in with a chance, but he didn't, so he isn't. I'd have both McCaffrey and Kilkenny ahead of him too.

If Dublin win the AI, its between BB and McCaffery. I'd say BB deserves it more, but he has won it before and people love the youth and flair of McCaffrey.

If Kerry win the AI, Moran has it in the bag.

Syferus

Connolly's performances in both semis have scuppered it. In Keegan's pocket for 140 minutes.

ONeill

No stand out performer. I think Brogan has it unless a remarkable midfield performance from Kerry wins it for them in the final.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

moysider

Higgins was never a tight marker. Always stood off and tried to read things and could cope because of his speed and could cover for others as well. But he was never a dogged marker and has been wasted as a cb imo.

Playing Higgins at cb is a micro example of what has been wrong with our approach for years. The same was done with Gary Ruane a decade ago. Higgins at cb a safety net option for managers that lacked the balls to go for it.

Karl Lacey won All Stars at cb, but he wasn t playing in the corner when they won the AI!

Keith is the best 6 option we ve had since James Nallen was in his pomp. Not even a debate. Should have happened in Johnno's time.

As regards Mayo All-Stars, Diarmuid O Connor and Tom Parsons were the best we had imo. Both can easily lose out though.

The way the game is gone and the difference in intensity in the last few games, compared to what has gone on before, the AS have to come from the last teams standing, I would expect that Kerry/Dublin get 11/12 between them. If Kerry lose other players from other counties might have a chance because Kerry got a soft ride to the final.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on September 09, 2015, 12:32:30 AM

Higgins was never a tight marker. Always stood off and tried to read things and could cope because of his speed and could cover for others as well. But he was never a dogged marker and has been wasted as a cb imo.

Playing Higgins at cb is a micro example of what has been wrong with our approach for years. The same was done with Gary Ruane a decade ago. Higgins at cb a safety net option for managers that lacked the balls to go for it.

Karl Lacey won All Stars at cb, but he wasn t playing in the corner when they won the AI!

Keith is the best 6 option we ve had since James Nallen was in his pomp. Not even a debate. Should have happened in Johnno's time.

Biteen small and light for CHB. Wouldn't be a natural fit at all for what a modern CHB is expected to do. A position much more about physically imposing yourself than it is about finesse. Higgins would be a good wing back I think. Your number 5 is probably your best 6.

maigheo

For me the only  all star Mayo will get will be Lee Keegan.D.OConnor will probably win YPOY.Parsons and aiden O Shea will be nominated as well as D.OConnor but they do not usually give all stars to ypoy so that would rule O Connor out.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on September 09, 2015, 12:44:22 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 09, 2015, 12:32:30 AM

Biteen small and light for CHB. Wouldn't be a natural fit at all for what a modern CHB is expected to do. A position much more about physically imposing yourself than it is about finesse. Higgins would be a good wing back I think. Your number 5 is probably your best 6.

Disagree. CHB used to be big contrary holding men like The Horse and Glen Ryan and lesser grade no frills individuals like Divilly, O Flaherta, Harnan, Counihan, Gavigan, McManus and Brennan.

Nallen was different class of course and before his time. But Higgins could have been as good as Henry Downey in that role for the last several years. Downey was imo one of the best 6s I ve seen and he was no giant. The other great 6 was of course Moynihan and he was no giant either but like Higgins, a gem of a footballer.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Hound on August 18, 2015, 11:42:53 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 18, 2015, 09:16:27 AM
Article on www.rte.ie picking the best 15 excluding the semi-finalists:

1 Paul Durcan (Donegal)
2 Paul Sharry (Westmeath)
3 Ryan Wylie (Monaghan)
4 Niall Cassidy (Fermanagh)
5 Karl O'Connell (Monaghan)
6 Kieran Martin (Westmeath)
7 Frank McGlynn (Donegal)
8 Thomas Flynn (Galway)
9 Neil Gallagher (Donegal)
10 Odhrán Mac Niallais (Donegal)
11 Michael Murphy (Donegal)
12 Colm O'Neill (Cork)
13 Tomás Corrigan (Fermanagh)
14 Sean Quigley (Fermanagh)
15 Conor McManus (Monaghan)

Would have thought maybe Marren and Comer would be worth including. Flynn and O'Neill lucky enough to be included imo
Even excluding the semi-finalists, Kieran Martin wouldn't have been in the top ten centre half backs in the championhship this year!
Though he'd probably deserve a place in the forwards ahead of Colm O'Neill.
Kildare's Eoin Doyle was probably the best 6 I saw (outside the semi finalists) this year.

Was wondering if anyone had noticed how well Eoin played. Absolutely outstanding in a completely shyte defence. I know he won't factor in the All-Star team but he should get a nomination.