2015 All Stars

Started by ONeill, August 10, 2015, 11:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 25, 2015, 05:07:21 PM
Incredible Sherlock didn't get an All Star that year (not that I'm slagging those that did, but if ever a footballer defined a year, it was Jayo in 95)

Who would you have dropped from the list - Jarlath Fallon (Galway), Dessie Farrell (Dublin), Paul Clarke (Dublin), Tommy Dowd (Meath), Peter Canavan (Tyrone), Charlie Redmond (Dublin).

Jayo was a bit of a fad that year. Talk of him playing for Liverpool. Sunday World stuff! He did not score in the final. I remember, because i had a bet on it. He was a much better player later on, when he was not in the limelight and not appreciated.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 25, 2015, 10:37:28 PM
Incredible Sherlock didn't get an All Star that year (not that I'm slagging those that did, but if ever a footballer defined a year, it was Jayo in 95)

Who would you have dropped from the list - Jarlath Fallon (Galway), Dessie Farrell (Dublin), Paul Clarke (Dublin), Tommy Dowd (Meath), Peter Canavan (Tyrone), Charlie Redmond (Dublin).

Jayo was a bit of a fad that year. Talk of him playing for Liverpool. Sunday World stuff! He did not score in the final. I remember, because i had a bet on it. He was a much better player later on, when he was not in the limelight and not appreciated.

All I remember about Jayo from the 90s is that he used to co-present a sports show on RTE 2 after The Den.

From the Bunker

Don't get me wrong with Jayo! He was good for the game and made it the GAA more mainstream among the public. But he was not all-star material.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: barelegs on August 25, 2015, 09:48:40 PM
Young Footballer of the Year is Under 21. Bradley should make the shortlist of three at least for that.

Tyrone's best players this year were Colm Cavanagh, Peter Harte, Mattie Donnelly and Ronan McNamee- probably in that order.

McCurry was too hot and cold. In and out of it against Donegal. Taken off against Limerick after struggling. Dropped for the Meath game. Did well off the bench against Meath and began to improve against Tipperary. Played very well against Sligo and Monaghan and then okay on Sunday. He'll probably get a nomination but he's no chance of getting an All Star.

If Tyrone get one Peter Harte would be the best bet.

I'd agree with but would imagine, right being right, McNamee would be the best bet. Harte will have a lot of competition in the half forward/half back line and Donnelly and Cavanagh will be outgunned in the midfield area. McNamee has been the standout full back in the Championship so far and he should get the nod. He's done excellent man marking jobs on McBrearty, McManus and Cooper to name a few.

ONeill

We'll get none I tells Ye. Has that happened before for a semi finalist? Did Wexford get any in 08?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 25, 2015, 11:08:17 PM
Young Footballer of the Year is Under 21. Bradley should make the shortlist of three at least for that.

Tyrone's best players this year were Colm Cavanagh, Peter Harte, Mattie Donnelly and Ronan McNamee- probably in that order.

McCurry was too hot and cold. In and out of it against Donegal. Taken off against Limerick after struggling. Dropped for the Meath game. Did well off the bench against Meath and began to improve against Tipperary. Played very well against Sligo and Monaghan and then okay on Sunday. He'll probably get a nomination but he's no chance of getting an All Star.

I'd agree with but would imagine, right being right, McNamee would be the best bet. Harte will have a lot of competition in the half forward/half back line and Donnelly and Cavanagh will be outgunned in the midfield area. McNamee has been the standout full back in the Championship so far and he should get the nod. He's done excellent man marking jobs on McBrearty, McManus and Cooper to name a few.
Mc namee was wronged on Sunday, but himself and colm cavanagh have been as good as any player in Ireland this year.

Estimator

Quote from: ONeill on August 25, 2015, 11:11:37 PM
We'll get none I tells Ye. Has that happened before for a semi finalist? Did Wexford get any in 08?
2005 only Kerry, Armagh and Tyrone were represented.
Cork were odd ones out
Ulster League Champions 2009

moysider

Quote from: rrhf on August 25, 2015, 11:20:32 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 25, 2015, 11:08:17 PM

Mc namee was wronged on Sunday, but himself and colm cavanagh have been as good as any player in Ireland this year.

Agree. The black for McNamee was a joke.

omaghjoe

McNamee, McCarron, Harte probably our most consistent performers for the run.

They'll probably give us 1, prob Harte but McCarron would be the most deserving I thought, ...well TBF probably a toss up between him and McNamee.

McNamee has came into it well, young, fast, mean, strong, tight, good in the air, everything you want in a FB. Tho he needs to keep his mouth closed and keep the head a wee bit better. But great asset at the back going forward.

AZOffaly

Would be nice to see McCarron get one after the couple of years he's had.

JoG2

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 26, 2015, 10:30:06 AM

like a phoenix from the flames. Has had a great year and fair play to him

If Donnelly had been more prominent on Sunday, he'd have been in with a very strong shout of an all-star

In saying all that, i hope no Tyrone player gets one ;-)

theticklemister

Quote from: JoG2 on August 26, 2015, 10:54:04 AM

like a phoenix from the flames. Has had a great year and fair play to him

If Donnelly had been more prominent on Sunday, he'd have been in with a very strong shout of an all-star

In saying all that, i hope no Tyrone player gets one ;-)

Proud of you JOG!

Hound

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 25, 2015, 10:37:28 PM

In 95, Jayo would flit in and out of games, but come up with very important scores. The exception was the final, where he had arguably his most complete game (and particularly important given plenty of our lads under-performed on the day). Jayo made plenty of scores that day, including the all important goal.

ONeill

Sentimental bollocks.
McCarron would cringe at that sentiment.

Can see the Kerry midfielders cleaning up.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

I think (going by what I've seen so far) that Stephen O'Brien will get one. Lot to be decided yet of course.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.