TG4 All Ireland Gold - Dublin vs Offaly 1979

Started by Lone Shark, April 26, 2007, 12:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Shark

Just half time now, first time I've seen this game. About 8 red card offences so far, with only Keaveney having got the red. God help us if Gerry Kinneavy was in charge of this.

armaghniac

A fine Offaly team. And the sun really did shine in the old days and people wore white shirts to games instead of jerseys.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lone Shark

"Electronic scoreboard has just told us it's 24 degrees celsius"   :D

I wonder what exactly was the handpass rule at the time? Some of the handpassing looks quare awkward.

fearglasmor

Was at this game with me father and remember saying at half time if they don't win this one they'll never win a game again. This was in the light a late smash and grab by Dublin in Portlaoise the previous year when Kevin Moran was sprung from Man U to save the Dubs.

Didn't think they could do the same again.

On the handpassing, the rule was that there was supposed to be a clear striking action of a stationary palm. Jim Ronaynes two "baskets" and Mullins pass for Brogans goal were particularly suspect.

Still only excuses, Offaly should have had it tied up.  Jayz  Matt was a slight lad at that stage, was he 18 ?

Statto-Gael

Watched the game last night - a classic in the sense that it shows how the game we have now has moved on for better or worse. For these games, its noticeable how even with frees and sideline balls off the ground, there's no time spent  teeing up the ball for the perfect strike - instead sideline balls placed by the linesman and then just hit etc. Also a few of the efforts on the uprights were awful. It was hard hitting and high catching stuff (no ticks or yellows in play - there'd be a hell of a lot more whistlin going on now if a current referee took that game).  It was honest clean (!), not over analysed entertainment. Now of course, the semi-pro approach has led to deep analysis and action into every facet of the modern game all led to minimise error - Better or Worse?

Louper

Quote from: Statto-Gael on April 26, 2007, 10:52:25 AM
Better or Worse?

its hard to say! certainly more entertaining to watch! alot of genuine tough men in those days compare to lying down to waste time. all tactics i know but it was a more honest game then! maybe not so good to play in tho if you werent built like a tank  :D

Jinxy

I honestly think the 90's were the golden era for gaelic football. Far superior to what went before and came after. Think of all the great games. Meath-Dublin '91, Donegal-Dublin '92, Derry-Down '94, Meath-Kildare '97  and so on. The general skill level was much higher than the 70's and early 80's and there was still a high level of physical intensity. Golden era for hurling too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

I'd agree with that Jinxy. The football from the past I like watching the most is from 1987 to about 1999. Much better entertainment than todays fare.

Jinxy

Seanie, just add 1988 and 1996, to 1987 and 1999 and forget the rest in between! Oh, the glory days. ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.