Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

AZOffaly

Quote from: mayo.mick on August 24, 2015, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 24, 2015, 11:42:02 AM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 21, 2015, 04:11:55 PM
What's the demand like for tickets Mayo bucks .? I'd imagine the hill will be similar to the 2013 game with a nice mix. Acquired decent seats in the lower cusack 306. Finally the season ticket seems to be delivering half decent tickets previous years left me in 406 under the ceiling, miserable stuff
More Dublin bias, we're in 304

???

At least you're not in the Mackey Stand. If ye beat Dublin, that's where the All Ireland Final will be :)

macdanger2

Well, both teams know who's waiting in the final for them now – the old reliables who did just enough to win yesterday and will be happy that the main talking point for them in the run up to the final will be the massive "hole" in their backline which will no doubt be non-existent when Dublin / Mayo go looking for it the next day!!

Mayo will probably line out largely the same as the last day with the main decision likely to be whether Barry Moran starts or not. Alternative options are playing Barrett as a sweeper instead or playing orthodox with Andy / Dillon in the FF line. Barrett to start would be my guess – as a relatively attacking sweeper.

The main downside to playing a sweeper is that it robs us of the chance to really push up on their kickouts. The FF line will try to split their men but with the accuracy of Cluxton, it's unlikely to be enough to get much joy. This in turn lessens the effectiveness of our perceived advantage at MF. However, if we can make sure that they only get short kickouts close to their own goal (rather than having free men out around MF for Cluxton to hit) then our forwards will fancy their chances of robbing one or two balls in the tackle and hopefully making it count. The flipside of playing a sweeper obviously is that it provides protection for the FB line and if we can keep a clean sheet, we have a decent chance of winning.

The other question if we play a sweeper is what Dublin do with their spare man – it would seem logical to have him sit in front of AOS and follow AOS out the field when that happens leaving ROC minding the house instead of going out where he's likely to be ineffective. If he's not used in front of AOS, then I'd fancy our chances of getting a goal or two. I'd like to see COC and the runners from the HF line playing off him a lot more also, he was isolated most of the time against Donegal with no other forward within 15 yards of hime when the ball was played in.

Dublin need a big game from some of their underperforming key players – Flynn and MDMA (if he starts) in particular. Flynn is a class player and I hope next Sunday isn't the day he kickstarts his season. Equally for Mayo, we need a big game from COC and maybe one of our half forwards to have a Johnny Buckley / Paul Geaney type of day.

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 24, 2015, 12:02:37 PM
Well, both teams know who's waiting in the final for them now – the old reliables who did just enough to win yesterday and will be happy that the main talking point for them in the run up to the final will be the massive "hole" in their backline which will no doubt be non-existent when Dublin / Mayo go looking for it the next day!!

Mayo will probably line out largely the same as the last day with the main decision likely to be whether Barry Moran starts or not. Alternative options are playing Barrett as a sweeper instead or playing orthodox with Andy / Dillon in the FF line. Barrett to start would be my guess – as a relatively attacking sweeper.

The main downside to playing a sweeper is that it robs us of the chance to really push up on their kickouts. The FF line will try to split their men but with the accuracy of Cluxton, it's unlikely to be enough to get much joy. This in turn lessens the effectiveness of our perceived advantage at MF. However, if we can make sure that they only get short kickouts close to their own goal (rather than having free men out around MF for Cluxton to hit) then our forwards will fancy their chances of robbing one or two balls in the tackle and hopefully making it count. The flipside of playing a sweeper obviously is that it provides protection for the FB line and if we can keep a clean sheet, we have a decent chance of winning.

The other question if we play a sweeper is what Dublin do with their spare man – it would seem logical to have him sit in front of AOS and follow AOS out the field when that happens leaving ROC minding the house instead of going out where he's likely to be ineffective. If he's not used in front of AOS, then I'd fancy our chances of getting a goal or two. I'd like to see COC and the runners from the HF line playing off him a lot more also, he was isolated most of the time against Donegal with no other forward within 15 yards of hime when the ball was played in.

Dublin need a big game from some of their underperforming key players – Flynn and MDMA (if he starts) in particular. Flynn is a class player and I hope next Sunday isn't the day he kickstarts his season. Equally for Mayo, we need a big game from COC and maybe one of our half forwards to have a Johnny Buckley / Paul Geaney type of day.

Barry went to midfield for Donegal's kickouts, and then dropped back immediately after the contest for the ball. I thought this worked very well, but if Barrett starts I can't see us doing that.
MWWSI 2017

Mac2

The question is whether Barry Moran will have be quick enough to play that role against a Dublin side that's far pacier than Donegal were. We need a sweeper for sure, Brogan has run riot that last few times we've met.

muppet

Quote from: Mac2 on August 24, 2015, 12:36:23 PM
The question is whether Barry Moran will have be quick enough to play that role against a Dublin side that's far pacier than Donegal were. We need a sweeper for sure, Brogan has run riot that last few times we've met.

Yes, the Ulster teams carry the ball forward which is quite slow. Kerry and Dublin kickpass it forward quite a bit and we have been doing that this year, especially when O'Sé is inside.

But if we want to pressurise the Cluxton kickout, the way we did Donegal, our sweeper may need to push up to halfway on their kick.
MWWSI 2017

rrhf

This will be  some battle.. Yes - it threatens to be an all out shoot out, but I suspect that Mayos new management will have more plans than that.  With Dublin you know what you are going to get, but can any team score more than them in an end to end battle, so I feel the onus is on Mayo to defend responsibly.

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 24, 2015, 12:02:37 PM

That's what I'm thinking too.

screenexile

Any tickets going for this one lads? I'm in desperate need of two if anyone has access please send me a pm.

Mayo4Sam

The point about the kick outs is that if we only have five forwards Cluxton won't kick to midfield, he's accurate enough to pick out the spare man
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

moysider

Quote from: screenexile on August 24, 2015, 01:59:35 PM
Any tickets going for this one lads? I'm in desperate need of two if anyone has access please send me a pm.

You re joking right? Why would you want to go to this?

BennyHarp

Now that my main interest in the championship is over, I'm really looking forward to this one. I've never really been convinced by Mayo over the past few years but after seeing them in the flesh v Donegal I must say I was very impressed. They have real pace and power throughout the team and with O'Se and O'Connor, they now have a cutting edge up front that would cause any team trouble. I must say also that I really like Lee Keegan as a footballer. His performance v Donegal was superb and really attacked MacNealis who would have regarded as a stronger element of Donegals line up. You also have to admire Mayo's relentless drive to keep coming back year after year.

Dublin, through no fault of their own never get tested until this stage of the championship so in my view it's difficult to tell where they are at but I'd imagine they will not be as unprepared as they were this time last year v Donegal.

I can't see how this will be anything other than a great game of football for the neutral and I genuinely would love to see Mayo pull it off and finally end their Kerry hoodoo in the final.
That was never a square ball!!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: rrhf on August 24, 2015, 01:51:43 PM
This will be  some battle.. Yes - it threatens to be an all out shoot out, but I suspect that Mayos new management will have more plans than that.  With Dublin you know what you are going to get, but can any team score more than them in an end to end battle, so I feel the onus is on Mayo to defend responsibly.

If that happens Dublin will blow Mayo out of the water!
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

When can we expect the Mayo team to be released? Tgheyll hardly release it as early as last time?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

muppet

I am really looking forward to seeing ROC running around after AOXI.

MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 24, 2015, 02:08:03 PM
The point about the kick outs is that if we only have five forwards Cluxton won't kick to midfield, he's accurate enough to pick out the spare man

That's the dilemma that faces Mayo management - usless they figure a way to press Cluxton's kick-outs and shore up the backs at the same time?