Started by Darby, August 08, 2015, 06:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: muppet on August 16, 2015, 02:52:33 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 16, 2015, 02:42:52 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 16, 2015, 02:00:28 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 16, 2015, 11:32:27 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 16, 2015, 11:17:42 AM
Here is the thing, if you hold all of RTE responsible for the admittedly crass behaviour of one of its (now axed) radio programmes, then surely all of Tyrone GAA, is equally responsible for Tiarnan McCann's behaviour?

By that analogy then surely all of Mayo GAA is responsible for the actions of Aidan O'Shea?

Nail on the head. Now you have it. It would be ludicrous to blame all of Mayo Gaa.

You see I wouldn't blame all of RTE, or all of Tyrone Gaa, or all of anyone, for the actions of a small minority.

I

Completely different cases. These sketches are surely reviewed and sanctioned before broadcast, there was a premeditated aim to lampoon Harte in that classless and insensitive piece which would had to had got the go-ahead of the top brass, I would imagine would be the case. The insincere reaction to the aftermath of the case and lack of action taken against the parties showed how RTE lacked any sort of regret over what happened.

Not to mention that RTE is a state broadcaster, who employ people on a professional basis to carry out a job where you'd imagine conduct like such would be a sackable offence. Whereas an inter-county footballer pursuits are a hobby which he does at his own violation. Not to mention that there is absolutely nothing to suggest that McCann's actions were premeditated, more of a spur of the moment.

My own view on this is that I think you are being deliberately obtuse on this after you built a rod for your own back, so probably better off not wasting everyone else's time on this matter.

I am certain it isn't.

Between All of the radio stations, the Tv station and RnaG, do you seriously think 'top brass' review even a fraction of what goes out? Down to the choice of song?? Seriously???

They have editors and producers charged with making sure incidents like the Harte escapade don't happen. Why was their no action taken on them? It sent out the message that RTE weren't bothered at the crass nature of the content and that message came from the brass.

muppet

[quote author=Il Bomber Destro link=topic=26133.msg1502793#msg1502793 date=1439733802

They have editors and producers charged with making sure incidents like the Harte escapade don't happen. Why was their no action taken on them? It sent out the message that RTE weren't bothered at the crass nature of the content and that message came from the brass.
[/quote]

Well at least you have changed your tune.

It was a crass choice of song. But one would need to know your GAA to get that. Not every producer is a GAA supporter.

As for the reaction, that is disputed: http://www.the42.ie/rte-insist-mickey-harte-received-apology-from-john-murray-show-305541-Dec2011/

That show has since been axed.
MWWSI 2017

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: muppet on August 16, 2015, 03:06:32 PM
[quote author=Il Bomber Destro link=topic=26133.msg1502793#msg1502793 date=1439733802

It was a crass choice of song. But one would need to know your GAA to get that. Not every producer is a GAA supporter.

As for the reaction, that is disputed: http://www.the42.ie/rte-insist-mickey-harte-received-apology-from-john-murray-show-305541-Dec2011/

[/quote]

The fact that RTE apologised is not disputed, the insincerity of it was the crux. The show might since have been axed but there was nothing done to the people concerned in the aftermath of it. Why was that? Do you not find that very uncommon for the situation as such?

muppet

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 16, 2015, 03:15:21 PM

The fact that RTE apologised is not disputed, the insincerity of it was the crux. The show might since have been axed but there was nothing done to the people concerned in the aftermath of it. Why was that? Do you not find that very uncommon for the situation as such?
[/quote]

No I don't. Not in the least.

People make mistakes.
MWWSI 2017

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: muppet on August 16, 2015, 03:25:06 PM

People make mistakes.
[/quote]

In professional media broadcasting, mistakes like that cost you your job in normal circumstances. RTE did nothing on that which is where all the questions start. Why didn't they do anything on it? Harte is well within his rights to boycott them and the players and county officials and well within their right to as well. The Harte family were very poorly treated by RTE so I don't see what your issue is the current stance, you don't even seem to be able to convince yourself on whatever it is you're trying to claim.

muppet

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 16, 2015, 03:36:08 PM

People make mistakes.

In professional media broadcasting, mistakes like that cost you your job in normal circumstances. RTE did nothing on that which is where all the questions start. Why didn't they do anything on it? Harte is well within his rights to boycott them and the players and county officials and well within their right to as well. The Harte family were very poorly treated by RTE so I don't see what your issue is the current stance, you don't even seem to be able to convince yourself on whatever it is you're trying to claim.

Hang on a second.

All I am doing in these recent posts is refuting your 'top brass' claim, which you have stopped claiming.

You seem to think that anyone that disagrees with you on any point, disagrees with you on everything ever written about Harte or Tyrone. This is completely hysterical thinking.

'Why didn't they do anything on it?'

RTE apologised. They seem to think that was sufficient. Harte doesn't. I am not sure. But we are all entitled to our opinions.
MWWSI 2017

trileacman

[/quote]

Why does it bother you so much that Harte doesn't talk to RTE? They did a skit, he took it as a slur upon him and his daughters death and doesn't bother talking to them anymore. It's a personal choice and not one that affects too many people. It's not like he's sending parcel bombs or pissing through their letterbox every week.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: muppet on August 16, 2015, 04:04:16 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 16, 2015, 03:36:08 PM

People make mistakes.

Hang on a second.

All I am doing in these recent posts is refuting your 'top brass' claim, which you have stopped claiming.

You seem to think that anyone that disagrees with you on any point, disagrees with you on everything ever written about Harte or Tyrone. This is completely hysterical thinking.

'Why didn't they do anything on it?'

RTE apologised. They seem to think that was sufficient. Harte doesn't. I am not sure. But we are all entitled to our opinions.

Yes, he doesn't think that was sufficient and it's understandable but why does that bother you so much? He's perfectly entitled not to as are the players and county officials to support him in that. It does seem to bother you going by your posts on that.

omaghjoe

Where is this apology?

I haven't seen diddly from them

The insult was public, so why isn't the apology?

armaghniac

You would absolutely not.not have to be a GAA supporter to realise the inappropriate nature of the song. Events in Mauritius were all over RTÉ for weeks, probably including on the offending show.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

OmaghJoe there is a link above that answers your question.

As for the 'why does it bother you?' straw man. It doesn't. I couldn't give a fiddlers.

But there is no doubt in my mind that it is damaging Tyrone Gaa. I just hope you beat Kerry. But with all this crap I can't see it.

As for Canavan's article. Jesus wept. It was wrong to suspend McCann for a load of reasons. But not because his Grandfather and his mother are great Gaels. If John Mc Dermott and Martin O'Connell's Mammies were the bestest Gaels ever would that make 1996 ok?
MWWSI 2017

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: muppet on August 16, 2015, 08:29:12 PM

As for the 'why does it bother you?' straw man. It doesn't. I couldn't give a fiddlers.

But there is no doubt in my mind that it is damaging Tyrone Gaa. I just hope you beat Kerry. But with all this crap I can't see it.

As for Canavan's article. Jesus wept. It was wrong to suspend McCann for a load of reasons. But not because his Grandfather and his mother are great Gaels. If John Mc Dermott and Martin O'Connell's Mammies were the bestest Gaels ever would that make 1996 ok?

Then why have you spent half this thread fervently arguing Harte's stance if it doesn't bother you?

He has more than reasonable grounds to not want to speak or engage with RTE, he has gone about this quietly and with dignity - yet it is very obvious that this bothers you.

Il Bomber Destro

I also think you completely missed the point of Canavan's article as well. He didn't say he shouldn't have been banned because of who he is and who his family are. He is calling on those who have ran a full character assassination on him to remind them that he should not be judged on one incident, I'm not surprised to see you didn't gather that though, obvious and all as it was.

omaghjoe

Muppet, The apology was in private and that's fair enuff, Im not doubting that it took place. But there should have been a public apology also as the offence was public.

Also M Harte can do what he likes as far as I am concerned. If he still feels sore about it then he doesnt and shouldn't have to speak to them. Its completely his decision.

And BTW your theory that if he starts to speak again to RTE then suddenly the bias against Tyrone that they display will suddenly disappear is wrong. It was there for a good few years b4 hand.

muppet

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 16, 2015, 08:35:48 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 16, 2015, 08:29:12 PM

Then why have you spent half this thread fervently arguing Harte's stance if it doesn't bother you?

He has more than reasonable grounds to not want to speak or engage with RTE, he has gone about this quietly and with dignity - yet it is very obvious that this bothers you.

You think that anyone that doesn't agree with some aspect of your argument disagrees with everything.

My arguments pretty much all along was against the conspiracy theory that RTE's top brass had planned and executed the whole thing as a matter of policy. This is plainly ludicrous.

My second argument is that this damages Tyrone.

I have never said Harte was 'wrong' to feel the way he does. You can't tell someone how to feel. However it is obvious to me that this whole thing damages Tyrone GAA. Sometimes being right doesn't matter. I have said The John Murray Show was wrong and that the choice of song was hideous.

I have also said that the ban was wrong.

But Canavan incorrectly asserts that the rules of the game were changed because of Sean Cavanagh's tackle and the furore it caused. The rules were changed at the previous Congress. He then asserts that the rules are changing again because of certain sections of the media. The rules haven't changed. The interpretation of one rule appears to have changed though and I disagree with that interpretation. I agree with James Horan.

The ban is as a result of the over-reaction to McCann's dive.  Canavan asks: 'So is he a "renegade", a "coward", a "cheat"? Well he certainly cheated. No one questions that, with the exception of OmaghJoe. Other Tyrone supporters point to other examples of cheating, but these comparisons, if anything, only prove that most Tyrone supporters accept he cheated. It is just that they reasonably argue other examples of cheating went unpunished. Canavan argues that his Granda and Mammy don't think he is a cheat. Probably not the best defence I have ever read.
MWWSI 2017