Kerry V Tyrone Fodder AISF 23rd August 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 02, 2015, 04:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 24, 2015, 10:42:51 AM
There was also an incident right under the Hogan at the Hill end in the first half where there was a loose ball McCrory was going down on and Walsh came in and kicked the ball when he was going down on it, right in front of Deegan who waved play on.

Then there was a free given to O'Donoghue right at the start of the second half for which he took a dive when McCarron didn't touch him.

Saying Kerry were clearly the better team is like the opinion of someone who didn't watch the game.

If Tyrone's free takers were on their game, we win that match.

If Tyrone take their goal chances, we win that match.

If Deegan does his job, we win that match.

If Morgan doesn't have a meltdown, we win that match.

I have no complaints about the result, we have ourselves to blame for that but the idea that Kerry were superior to us on the day is nonsense. We threw it away.

If me auntie had balls and all that!!!  Kerry missed chances, Kerry punished Tyrone mistakes, the ref made bad decisions both sides, the persecution complex of the men in the bushes is going into complete overdrive.  The Tyrone team is 4th best team in the country at the minute behind Mayo, Dublin and Kerry.  Get another MF allowing Cavanagh to stay in FF and they will push for the title but not at the minute.

Applesisapples

Quote from: highorlow on August 24, 2015, 10:22:33 AM
Quotea 45 that wasn't

I looked at that again and paused it. It looks like the backs hand is the last to hit.

I thought Kerry's free for their 5th point was very soft (Moran was off balance rather than getting pulled back and to make things worse it was brought forward too far by Deegan). Sean Kavanagh should / could have got a free from a high ball where I thought he was fouled. I don't think it was mentioned yet that the ref also went over the 2 mins time in the 1st half and Kerry, star, got a point in this period.

In saying that, Tyrone butchered about 1-3 in the first half through their own poor decisions, if Tyrone had an attacking full back that could score then they may have gotten a draw. I also thought they never tested Kerry with some high balls into Kavanagh, there was time and opportunity to do that but they only did it once in the whole game.
That's a fair enough assessment, I thought it was Donaghy who touched the ball last.

Il Bomber Destro

And as I said we threw it away, we let Kerry off the hook. We have ourselves to blame which makes it tougher to take.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 24, 2015, 11:04:19 AM
And as I said we threw it away, we let Kerry off the hook. We have ourselves to blame which makes it tougher to take.

Ye certainly had chances, but as I said, taking chances is part of being the better team.

Applesisapples

It is good to see some Tyrone people on here being objective in their assessment. Not withstanding Maurice Deegan's woeful display. The better team won. But from the perspective of Ulster rivals this is a serious step forward by Tyrone.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2015, 11:05:13 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 24, 2015, 11:04:19 AM

Ye certainly had chances, but as I said, taking chances is part of being the better team.

I see it as us handing them the win rather than them being the better team. The result was fair but we threw it away, I felt the game was played completely on Tyrone's terms and we had ourselves in a box seat position to win but blew it.

Pretty similar to Mayo last year.

Hereiam

I have to say the better team won on the day. Tyrone just don't have the cynical finishers up front yet. Kerry always looked in control and in the second half I never felt once that Tyrone were going to win it.
The short kick outs didn't work and Kerry had done there homework on this. I would not have Morgan in goals again and I wouldn't let him kick another free for Tyrone either. His poor decisions were the down fall of Tyrone yesterday.
Conor Myler should have been taken off sooner, he had a stinker. At one point he losses possession around Kerrys 45, Kerry break up the pitch and Myler ends up fouling the Kerry man, giving away a simple free. Another was when a good ball was played into him and it just bounces off his chest and Kerry sweep up.
Tyrone's defence were immense in the first half and played well, something to build on.
The Gooch deserved that challenge just because he's the Gooch. I would say there was a fair bit of sledgin from him, the ole cute hoor.
Sean Cavanagh should call it a day he has nothing to prove.
Colm Cavanagh is a great player and rarely does anything wrong.
#nextyearwillbeouryear

AZOffaly

Splitting hairs. Ye certainly didn't hand it to them though, in my opinion. It was level with 10 minutes or so to go, and Kerry stayed calm and got some very good scores. That's to their credit in fairness.

Hound

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 24, 2015, 09:06:51 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 24, 2015, 08:47:35 AM
Hard luck to Tyrone. Nothing worse than losing a game you could have won.

From a neutral's perspective I thought the ref did fine. You'll never get every decision right, but given you have to call it as you see it within a split second, I thought every decision he made was understandable. With one exception - McNamee's foul was clearly not a black card offence.

Did that cost them the game? It might have been significant, but they have to look at themselves - the missed goals chances from McAlliskey and Bradley, the very poor performance from Morgan and the lack of impact made by SeanC.

Thought both managers did very well.

I actually could see why he gave mcnamee a black card but I couldn't see why he didn't give Enright a black card. That was really blatant. He's a very good defender too and it would have made a difference had he went off.
Neither were black cards for me (although Enright's more debatable). Black cards are supposed to be hard to get. Both McNamee and Enright could be judged to have attempted to make a fair tackle to get the ball, but mis-timed/too hard meant foul and yellow. Contrast that to Marc O'Se. No attempt to play the ball, just cynically pulled down the man, his hands were on his opponents legs, nowhere near the ball.

Enright's definitely very borderline, but I would have given him the benefit of the doubt.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2015, 11:15:56 AM
Splitting hairs. Ye certainly didn't hand it to them though, in my opinion. It was level with 10 minutes or so to go, and Kerry stayed calm and got some very good scores. That's to their credit in fairness.
Anthony Maher's score, when level, was the biggest score of the game for me. Fabulous point and gave Kerry the momentum back, and they didnt let it slip again

Main Street

Quote from: muppet on August 24, 2015, 10:54:23 AM
Quote from: rrhf on August 24, 2015, 10:28:58 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2015, 10:18:58 AM
I wouldn't be so sure on the penalty. Even after seeing it several times now, I'm still not sure it was a foul. That said, it's a big call to accuse the lad of diving. Maybe the correct call was just play on, and eventually it would be a free out for overcarrying.

As for the others, I thought Marc O'Se's black was on the money, I thought the Tyrone black was wrong, the Enright yellow should have been a black. I thought the Tyrone #5 should have got the line for the late hit on Gooch, and I thought Killian Young was very lucky not to get a black card on the first goal chance Tyrone had when Marc O'Se made the great block.
The lad certainly didnt dive, his momentum meant that when the foul occurred he was trying to stay on his feet and grabbing a jersey can equally be seen as an attempt to stay up.  It said more about Deegan's state of mind that he booked the lad for a clear foul.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Indeed, or an attempt to exchange jerseys early.

The problem is that the rule book thinks it is foul play. If you are trying to buy a penalty, and you are seen grabbing a jersey, it won't be seen as 'an attempt to stay up.' It risks being seen as trying to engineer a penalty.

I thought he had got around O'Mahony and had only the keeper to beat, but he turned away from goal and went down too easily. Would Michael Murphy, Seamus Quigley, Steven O'Neill, Aiden O'Sé, Bernard Brogan or anyone else you can think of, having got around the last defender, have done anything other than try to blast the ball into the net?
I suppose in someone's universe, the shirt grabbing could be seen as an attempt to stay up after a foul. That would be a Flann O'Brien defense, "he battered my boot with his head, your honour".  Deegan had with decisiveness awarded Tyrone a penalty earlier, he had a very good view of this latter incident and gave his opinion in an instant. From one angle it looks conclusive that the Tyrone player propelled himself to the ground, from another tv angle there might have been some contact, but it was not a penalty.

"It said more about Deegan's state of mind that.... "  ;D
The good, the questionable and the poor decisions made by Deegan were distributed evenly to each team and without prejudice.
There was not a  conspiracy,  a "revenge of the refs"  in lieu of  bad deeds done by a victimised Tyrone,  a type of conspiracy pedalled by preachers  which tend to find currency amongst the gullible and ill educated.

Kerry went into the 2nd half a point ahead after performing poorly, they were 4 or 5 points ahead and cruising, Tyrone closed it with a deserved penalty but Kerry went up the field and scored 4 points more and controlled the game. In most peoples' viewpoint that's an emphatic 2nd half winning performance.
It was very poor form by Harte and Cavanagh not to take their emphatic beating on the chin, but seek to cast a dark cloud over the officiating rather than their own team's evident blatant shortcomings which cost them a rake of points. But hey, that type of stuff seems to work in Tyrone, people just queue up to swallow it wholesale.

screenexile

There was also an incident right under the Hogan at the Hill end in the first half where there was a loose ball McCrory was going down on and Walsh came in and kicked the ball when he was going down on it, right in front of Deegan who waved play on.

Then there was a free given to O'Donoghue right at the start of the second half for which he took a dive when McCarron didn't touch him.

Saying Kerry were clearly the better team is like the opinion of someone who didn't watch the game.

I have no complaints about the result, we have ourselves to blame for that but the idea that Kerry were superior to us on the day is nonsense. We threw it away.

You'll enjoy this song Bomber. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg3SpvJEf40

tyroneboi

I definitely don't think that was a game Tyrone threw away! I think people are over estimating Tyrones performance a slight bit this morning. Kerry were comfortable enough for an all Ireland semi final up to the penalty and then upped it again thereafter to get the last 4 points. Tyrone played well but any losing team at any level always points to the what ifs afterwards.

macdanger2

Quote from: Hound on August 24, 2015, 11:16:16 AM
Neither were black cards for me (although Enright's more debatable). Black cards are supposed to be hard to get. Both McNamee and Enright could be judged to have attempted to make a fair tackle to get the ball, but mis-timed/too hard meant foul and yellow. Contrast that to Marc O'Se. No attempt to play the ball, just cynically pulled down the man, his hands were on his opponents legs, nowhere near the ball.

Enright's definitely very borderline, but I would have given him the benefit of the doubt.

Couldn't agree with that Hound, Enright made absolutely no attempt to play the ball. Tyrone were breaking through with men over and he dragged the man down. A stonewall black card offence for me

JoG2

;D IF Carlow had the best 25 players in the country they'd win Sam