Kerry V Tyrone Fodder AISF 23rd August 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 02, 2015, 04:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Taking out the hype they played 2 top tier teams in this series with alot of also rans giving Tyrone a distorted scoring average. Donegal as usual had the measure of them, Monaghan was the ideal draw for them as they were the weakest of the provincial champs with only 1/2 scoring forwards. Kerry have played much either, 1 top tier team in Cork, and its hard to gauge how the perform when the pressure is on. Kerry i think will raise they game for Tyrone. Game be tighter than most think due to Tyrone defensive plan but i expect Kerry to prevail in a fairly close game. Starting their best free taker on the bench is a tad confusing though.

Syferus

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 22, 2015, 01:49:51 AM
Taking out the hype they played 2 top tier teams in this series with alot of also rans giving Tyrone a distorted scoring average. Donegal as usual had the measure of them, Monaghan was the ideal draw for them as they were the weakest of the provincial champs with only 1/2 scoring forwards. Kerry have played much either, 1 top tier team in Cork, and its hard to gauge how the perform when the pressure is on. Kerry i think will raise they game for Tyrone. Game be tighter than most think due to Tyrone defensive plan but i expect Kerry to prevail in a fairly close game. Starting their best free taker on the bench is a tad confusing though.

When he contributes little from play it isn't. A few pretty 45 meter kicks aren't enough to warrant a place on a lot of teams, let alone Kerry.

Seamus

Quote from: Syferus on August 22, 2015, 03:17:43 AM

When he contributes little from play it isn't. A few pretty 45 meter kicks aren't enough to warrant a place on a lot of teams, let alone Kerry.

Brian Sheehan was not considered for a starting position due to injury, it will only be fully known on the day if he will be able to make any contribution.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Syferus

Quote from: Seamus on August 22, 2015, 03:49:27 AM

Brian Sheehan was not considered for a starting position due to injury, it will only be fully known on the day if he will be able to make any contribution.

He's been dropped to the bench when fit plenty of times too, regardless. I don't think it particularly weakens Kerry. If anything they're more of a threat with him not starting.

Seamus

Quote from: Syferus on August 22, 2015, 03:52:46 AM
Quote from: Seamus on August 22, 2015, 03:49:27 AM

He's been dropped to the bench when fit plenty of times too, regardless. I don't think it particularly weakens Kerry. If anything they're more of a threat with him not starting.

When did that happen for the championship between 2009 and this week as I can't remember?
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Gael85 on August 22, 2015, 12:53:39 AM
Quote from: Canalman on August 21, 2015, 05:16:57 PM
Being brutally honest but I don't think the Tyrone forwards are a patch on the noughties ones. Chalk and Cheese.

Kerry to win handily imo.

+1

Tyrone didnt have the firepower to beat Mayo in 2013 semi final and that forward line hasn't improved much since . They don't seem to have many forwards that will raise green flags. Tyrone will make  game for 40-50 minutes then Kerry will pull away and win by 10+ . Tyrone forwards in championship have struggled against Donegal last 3 championship games, Mayo 2013 and Kerry 2012. Could see in all games never looked like winning.Tieran McCann and Mark Bradley are players for the future and hopefully they will get a couple others from 21 winning team. They had a couple powerful lads in the full forward line who might make impact next year

Our forwards contributed more scores from play than Mayo did in the 2013 semi-final.

I think it's lazy analysis to say that we don't have the firepower to beat Kerry, we don't play a game that needs our inside forwards to be notching up big scores to win games. If McCurry and McAliskey can contribute about 10 points on Sunday we are well in with a shout and I believe that's more than within their capabilities, people keep going on and on about Kerry's firepower and how we will be able to cope with then but they are not focusing on how a porous Kerry defence will cope with what we have.

In league and Championship these were our concessions:

Monaghan 1-13 (16)
Mayo 1-07 (10)
Derry 1-08 (11)
Dublin 1-09 (12)
Cork 0-17 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Kerry 1-14 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Limerick 0-08 (8)
Meath 0-11 (11)
Tipperary 0-09 (9)
Sligo 0-14 (14)
Monaghan 0-14  (14)

In the 13 league and championship games this year, the highest score we have conceded is 17 points and Tyrone have been getting better and better with each passing game. After the league meeting with Monaghan Mickey went back to basics and the defence really started to tighten up and improve. Our attacking gameplan really struggled in that time though and it wasn't until the second half in the Tipp game that it looked to click into gear, since then I've been very pleased with the smoothness and speed with which we develop our play now and our efficiency in front of the posts the last day out against Monaghan was brilliant. I think if we can turn in a similar performance against Monaghan we can win on Sunday, there's not that much of a gulf between the teams despite what the experts say.

I can only hope the lads have been hearing some of the coverage and expert verdicts for this game. Tyrone have been completely dismissed out of hand and told they have nowhere near the quality of players Kerry have which is just nonsense, we have the players to push them and beat them and I hope we do it. It's a bit like the u21 Championship this year where we were bizarrely 9/4 outsiders against an average Roscommon side and wrote off by all the experts and proceeded to stroll home against them without needing to break sweat.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Being brutally honest but I don't think the Tyrone forwards are a patch on the noughties ones. Chalk and Cheese.

+1

Tyrone didnt have the firepower to beat Mayo in 2013 semi final and that forward line hasn't improved much since . They don't seem to have many forwards that will raise green flags. Tyrone will make  game for 40-50 minutes then Kerry will pull away and win by 10+ . Tyrone forwards in championship have struggled against Donegal last 3 championship games, Mayo 2013 and Kerry 2012. Could see in all games never looked like winning.Tieran McCann and Mark Bradley are players for the future and hopefully they will get a couple others from 21 winning team. They had a couple powerful lads in the full forward line who might make impact next year

Not quite sure how relevant that particular game is. Tyrone were doing very well that day and had Mayo rattled. Lack of firepower to go on and put them away was a factor but so were injuries to O'Neill and Harte and a dodgy penalty decision. It's 2 years on and a better Tyrone team, I don't think there is too much to learn from that day.

Ultimately I can't see Tyrone having enough to win this. I have been frustrated in recent seasons by Mickey's constant changes to the team. I don't think it's any coincidence that we have had a decent championship run, albeit with a handy enough draw,  when he has picked a fairly settled team and stuck with it
There are enough good players for Tyrone to be pretty competitive every summer.  Alas, they aren't IMO quite good enough to beat the very best teams,  ie Dublin,  Kerry and Mayo.

I'm not sure if they really believe they can either,  its a while since Tyrone won a really big match in Croke Park. The team of the last decade believed they were better than Kerry, with good reason,  and Kerry knew it. I have no doubt that Kerry win a lot of close games because the opposition don't think they can win. The confidence of the noughties Tyrone team unsettled that Kerry team, in 2008 in particular it was a big factor when Tyrone didn't have the same flair as the 2003 and 2005 teams. Now maybe tomorrow will be a breakthrough day for this Tyrone team but I don't think they have that belief, not at this stage anyway.  The way they finished against Monaghan,  trying to suffocate the game rather than turning the screw when Monaghan were a beaten team with 10 minutes to go, suggested to me a weakness.  It went against Mickey's traditional tactic of attacking a lead too. Wouldn't work against better teams than Monaghan.

Would love to be proved wrong but reckon Kerry will win by a few.

INDIANA

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 22, 2015, 07:53:39 AM

+1

Our forwards contributed more scores from play than Mayo did in the 2013 semi-final.

I think it's lazy analysis to say that we don't have the firepower to beat Kerry, we don't play a game that needs our inside forwards to be notching up big scores to win games. If McCurry and McAliskey can contribute about 10 points on Sunday we are well in with a shout and I believe that's more than within their capabilities, people keep going on and on about Kerry's firepower and how we will be able to cope with then but they are not focusing on how a porous Kerry defence will cope with what we have.

Monaghan 1-13 (16)
Mayo 1-07 (10)
Derry 1-08 (11)
Dublin 1-09 (12)
Cork 0-17 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Kerry 1-14 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Limerick 0-08 (8)
Meath 0-11 (11)
Tipperary 0-09 (9)
Sligo 0-14 (14)
Monaghan 0-14  (14)

In the 13 league and championship games this year, the highest score we have conceded is 17 points and Tyrone have been getting better and better with each passing game. After the league meeting with Monaghan Mickey went back to basics and the defence really started to tighten up and improve. Our attacking gameplan really struggled in that time though and it wasn't until the second half in the Tipp game that it looked to click into gear, since then I've been very pleased with the smoothness and speed with which we develop our play now and our efficiency in front of the posts the last day out against Monaghan was brilliant. I think if we can turn in a similar performance against Monaghan we can win on Sunday, there's not that much of a gulf between the teams despite what the experts say.

I can only hope the lads have been hearing some of the coverage and expert verdicts for this game. Tyrone have been completely dismissed out of hand and told they have nowhere near the quality of players Kerry have which is just nonsense, we have the players to push them and beat them and I hope we do it. It's a bit like the u21 Championship this year where we were bizarrely 9/4 outsiders against an average Roscommon side and wrote off by all the experts and proceeded to stroll home against them without needing to break sweat.

It's not lazy analysis when in some games 70 percent of your scores are coming from frees . You're up against the wall tomorrow and Any given Sunday speeches are unlikely to be enough.

You will mass the defence and do a mc Guinness. No rocket science there

BennyHarp

Quote from: INDIANA on August 22, 2015, 09:23:30 AM

+1

Monaghan 1-13 (16)
Mayo 1-07 (10)
Derry 1-08 (11)
Dublin 1-09 (12)
Cork 0-17 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Kerry 1-14 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Limerick 0-08 (8)
Meath 0-11 (11)
Tipperary 0-09 (9)
Sligo 0-14 (14)
Monaghan 0-14  (14)

It's not lazy analysis when in some games 70 percent of your scores are coming from frees . You're up against the wall tomorrow and Any given Sunday speeches are unlikely to be enough.

So how many times has this happened this year?

V Donegal 1-10 (3. frees) = 23%
V Limerick 1-14 (6 frees) = 35%
V Meath 1-10 (1-1 frees) = 31%
V Tipp 0-19 (6 frees) = 31.5%
V Sligo 0-21 (5 frees) = 23.8%
V Monaghan 0-18 (7 frees) 38.8%

In fact, overall in the championship we have score 101 points, of which 31 where frees. Amazingly that means only 30% of our scores are from frees and in fact 70% come from play.

I'd say your analysis is pretty lazy. A bit like you saying we only beat you in 2008 because of the brilliance of Steven O'Neill!

That was never a square ball!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Oh dear, scientific analysis can be a bitch at times!  ;) 8)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Gael85

+1

Monaghan 1-13 (16)
Mayo 1-07 (10)
Derry 1-08 (11)
Dublin 1-09 (12)
Cork 0-17 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Kerry 1-14 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Limerick 0-08 (8)
Meath 0-11 (11)
Tipperary 0-09 (9)
Sligo 0-14 (14)
Monaghan 0-14  (14)

There no doubting Tyrone defense however they haven't met the quality of Kerry forwards in championship game yet. To beat Kerry you need goals. Ye have scored 6 goals in 13 games between championship and league. Ye wont score scored 15+ points against Kerry

Fear ón Srath Bán

Logic would dictate that Kerry will win by 2-3 points, possibly pulling up at that.

This is, however, Tyrone versus Kerry in Croke Park, and that will be worth 2-3 points to ourselves I reckon, since there's nothing to compare to extract that very last scintilla of effort, blood, sweat, and whatever other harmless by-product from the Tyrone lads. Therefore it will come down to a last kick, and what a kick that will be! ;)

Safe journeys you all, from whatever quarter you hail. :)

GJL

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 22, 2015, 09:37:02 AM

+1

Monaghan 1-13 (16)
Mayo 1-07 (10)
Derry 1-08 (11)
Dublin 1-09 (12)
Cork 0-17 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Kerry 1-14 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Limerick 0-08 (8)
Meath 0-11 (11)
Tipperary 0-09 (9)
Sligo 0-14 (14)
Monaghan 0-14  (14)

In fact, overall in the championship we have score 101 points, of which 31 where frees. Amazingly that means only 30% of our scores are from frees and in fact 70% come from play.

I'd say your analysis is pretty lazy. A bit like you saying we only beat you in 2008 because of the brilliance of Steven O'Neill!

Ita was at this moment Indiana knew...... he fu*ked up!    ;D ;D ;D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Three times Mickey Harte has played Kerry in Croke, and three times he's won; each time without exception Kerry were favourites -- every reasonable or otherwise argument I've seen on this thread as to why we haven't a chance I've seen three times before in recent memory.

That's why it's no foregone conclusion  ;)

trileacman

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 22, 2015, 09:37:02 AM

+1

Monaghan 1-13 (16)
Mayo 1-07 (10)
Derry 1-08 (11)
Dublin 1-09 (12)
Cork 0-17 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Kerry 1-14 (17)
Donegal 1-13 (16)
Limerick 0-08 (8)
Meath 0-11 (11)
Tipperary 0-09 (9)
Sligo 0-14 (14)
Monaghan 0-14  (14)

Ouch.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014