Hammerings in the GAA - loss of attendances at games.

Started by From the Bunker, August 02, 2015, 04:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

You'd have to wonder how much damage the various hammerings teams are suffering will do to attendances and viewership on TV. There are quite a few games I have stopped watching over the last couple of years as they were over after a quarter of an hour. As a supporter both fan and neutral crowds are going to collapse at this rate. Kildare who always have a good following have been humiliated twice this year. Any fans not affected by the first loss to Dublin must surely be rocked by todays performance. I know the break over the winter can clear the head, but there will be a lot of Kildare badly burned and not willing to spend their euros following the team next year.

moysider

Syferus

Financial doping, access to better coaching. The playing field needs to be levelled. B-championship shite solves absolutely nothing.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on August 02, 2015, 04:19:49 PM
Financial doping, access to better coaching. The playing field needs to be levelled. B-championship shite solves absolutely nothing.

100% correct Syf

From the Bunker

B championship would turn the game into a hurling version of the game. The top teams staying at the top and the bottom teams staying at the bottom. With 2-4 yo yo teams going from one to the other.

Sidney

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2015, 04:23:49 PM

B championship would turn the game into a hurling version of the game. The top teams staying at the top and the bottom teams staying at the bottom. With 2-4 yo yo teams going from one to the other.
Joe Brolly proposes a "vibrant second tier championship".

I propose it be named the "Vibrant Cup".

Line Ball

Quote from: Sidney on August 02, 2015, 05:02:43 PM

Joe Brolly proposes a "vibrant second tier championship".

I propose it be named the "Vibrant Cup".

Vibrator Cup - at least then some people might get some enjoyment out of it!

Joke of a suggestion.

passedit

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2015, 04:06:17 PM
You'd have to wonder how much damage the various hammerings teams are suffering will do to attendances and viewership on TV. There are quite a few games I have stopped watching over the last couple of years as they were over after a quarter of an hour. As a supporter both fan and neutral crowds are going to collapse at this rate. Kildare who always have a good following have been humiliated twice this year. Any fans not affected by the first loss to Dublin must surely be rocked by todays performance. I know the break over the winter can clear the head, but there will be a lot of Kildare badly burned and not willing to spend their euros following the team next year.

Welcome to the 70s and 80s

22k for an all ireland semi final in the early eighties, Monaghan getting an almighty scutching in an AISF in 1979. Only one and a half teams in it for the guts of two decades, nearly killed the game till the hated northerners came along to save it  :P
Don't Panic

From the Bunker

Quote from: passedit on August 02, 2015, 05:26:08 PM

22k for an all ireland semi final in the early eighties, Monaghan getting an almighty scutching in an AISF in 1979. Only one and a half teams in it for the guts of two decades, nearly killed the game till the hated northerners came along to save it  :P

In fairness Meath and Cork got there before ye (circa 1987-1990)! But ye did ye're bit!

Teo Lurley

The game wll be dead in most counties unless they do something about the money situation soon.

passedit

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2015, 05:29:43 PM
Quote from: passedit on August 02, 2015, 05:26:08 PM

In fairness Meath and Cork got there before ye (circa 1987-1990)! But ye did ye're bit!

I was including Meath in the hated northerners comment  ;)

How they'd love to be hated now!
Don't Panic

Rossfan

And of course these days the top teams change every year :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2015, 08:01:03 PM

Well 5 years ago Donegal would not have been considered a top team?
And 3 years ago Monaghan would not have been considered a top team?

moysider

imtommygunn

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2015, 08:02:35 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2015, 08:01:03 PM

Well 5 years ago Donegal would not have been considered a top team?
And 3 years ago Monaghan would not have been considered a top team?

Kerry were finished before last year too ;)