Quote from: muppet on August 15, 2015, 10:40:25 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 15, 2015, 06:53:14 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 14, 2015, 11:42:45 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 14, 2015, 11:37:49 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 14, 2015, 09:45:51 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 13, 2015, 10:50:44 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2015, 10:41:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 13, 2015, 10:32:41 PM
What McCann did was specifically covered by a rule. To say that this overall rule can be brought in any time we fancy it makes a mockery of the rule book.

It is entirely bizarre.

See my reply to Benny. The same applies in civil law. People are charged with the most serious offence. The DPP decides what law to prosecute under. Milosevic could have been charged with murder or genocide. McCann can be done for diving or discrediting the association. It's perfectly in order. The fact that it's rare doesn't mean it's wrong. In this case, letting this shite grow into the cancer it has was the error the Association made, not deciding to throw the book at McCann.

I'm off for a pint. I don't think I can add to what I've said, but if rrhf or Omadjoe want to continue the whinging I'll be here in the morning.

This is my favourite line from this thread so far. And someone accused Tyrone of having a lack of perspective.  ;D

It wasn't me that brought criminal law into the debate. It was Joe Brolly. I don't know how to point out my disagreement without reference to the criminal law.

So you decided upon the measured approach of comparing it to Milosevic's murder and genocide? We have officially lost the run of ourselves.

In fairness the analogy was pointing out that someone could be charged for a lesser crime or a more serious one. I tend to disagree, but I can see the difference between using an analogy to emphasise a point, for example 'one might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb', and losing perspective, 'he said he should be hung!'.

No one seriously thinks that he was comparing McCann's act to Milosevic's.

Bolix Muppet

He knew rightly what he was at, why did he choose the worst possible crime imaginable? He was trying to exaggerate the severity of this whole thing.

This is also coming from the same guy who doesn't want Tiernan McCann mentioned in the same sentence as Jonah Sherdian but thinks its ok to mention genocide in a discussion about sports. He's a vindictive slabber and whats worse an insult to the 1000s that were killed in Bosnia

Not to mention the fact that the point he was trying to make is confirmation that he doesnt have a clue what he is talking about

Ok, yes he was comparing a dive in a match with genocide.  ::) But shur he might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. And for clarification, I am not calling for the hanging of anyone, although you take offence at every word and every possible idiotic context, so you probably won't read this bit.

As for Big Joe. His notorious moment was that he tried to score a goal from a sitting position. He might have messed it up but it was obvious what he was trying to do. It is also obvious to us what Tiarnan McCann was trying to do. And yet you are offended by the comparison of the two. I bet Big Joe is far more offended.

I don't really want to return to this and of course he wasn't comparing the two (well at least I hope he wasn't) but your sheep and lamb comparison is bugging me. That's a well known phrase and I understand your point about hanging, but who says in passing conversation "ah sure Milosevic's crimes could be regarded as murder and genocide so diving in football can be either a yellow or disrepute?" It's a mental context to put it into and in my opinion shows a bit of an eejit trying to hyperbole things and the terminology used all week in various media outlets has attempted to do the same.

As far as I can see, you are in the main agreeing with me? My point being we are very inclined to use analogies, and often hyperbola, to emphasise our points. The hung for a sheep or a lamb one is very common, but it was once an original. Analogies with Hitler or the Nazis are the most overused probably in history, especially on the internet. Invoking Godwin's Law is of course now a common way to 'claim victory' in an online argument, regardless of the merits of the discussion, simply because someone mentioned Hitler. This of course is absurd.

MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: T Fearon on August 15, 2015, 12:51:01 PM
Tyrone taking mopery to new levels? Barry Mc Elduff MLA complains about RTE bias all because the Sunday Game Twitter account favourited a tweet from Meath's Anthony Moyles criticising Tiernan Mc Cann?

Wrong, Moyles exhorted Kerry to "knock seven shades out of us" in that tweet! Not like you to distort the truth!  :'(
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jimmyjimson

Even the most ardent Tyronian has to recognize what McCann did was out of line but the backlash has been extreme. The onset of social media means that these days condemnation can be anonymous, immediate and brutal. While you'd expect some morons on twitter to know no better, some of the comments from players, ex players, journalists etc has been one eyed hyperbole . Unfortunately for Tyrone, they have annoyed a lot of people in the past and their failings are seized on by more than most.

GAA's machismo considers feigning injury and diving to be a much worse act than actually causing an injury in the first place. Should it be though ? Should someone who stamps on a prostrate opponent or punches someone in the back of the head be less castigated than the person who feigns injury.

All the same diving is still a blight on the game and should be eradicated, however you cannot suddenly, in the middle of the season, ban a player for this when other transgressors have escaped punishment all year. We all know Tyronians aren't slow in playing the persecution card ! but they'd have every right to feel picked on if McCann's proposed ban goes through.

I'd like to see the GAA next season to have a citing commissoner to review every Championship match on a Monday evening who can hand out bans/punishments for those who have committed serious foul play during a game and indeed simulation should come under this bracket. I think the SPL have had a system for a number of years when you can punish players retrospectively if they feel they have dived or feigned injury.

While I can't believe I'm actually writing this I do actually feel a bit sorry for Tyrone. In 2 of their 3 last three matches they have came in for some seriously bad hits from the opposition. The focus on McCann has certainly taken away the spotlight from Monaghan's discipline in the last 10 or mins. They simply lost the head and could easily had a few more sent off, Paul Finlay was a walking red card from the moment he came on, madness for such a talented player.

Mickey Harte has done brilliantly to get his team so far. Everyone knows that they aren't a patch talent wise on their 00's vintage with only really Donnelly, Harte and S Cavanagh as top notch players. They'll probably not have enough at midfield to beat Kerry but they've proved many doubters wrong so far this year. It's a pity their excellence has been overshadowed by the McCann incident.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

omaghjoe

Quote from: GJL on August 15, 2015, 08:32:32 PM
http://www.todayfm.com/player/podcasts/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/38940/1/8_week_ban_for_tiernan_mccann_too_harsh

Well spoken wee Pete

Ewan McKenna reckons its rubbish there is a bias against Tyrone but then reckons that the 8 week ban is justified because of the Tyrone's previous record this year? Slight contradiction there Ewan!

His snide sniggering at the start is sickening, but it turns out he didnt even have the balls to stick to his guns when directly confronted by Canavan, as he cant even decide if he's for the ban or not by the end. Typical tabloid journalist, good at hyperbole/hysteria, but when faced with having to make a real decision, pretty useless. 

omaghjoe

BTW I am sick of this being called a hair ruffle and Darren Hughes being described as an innocent party.

Hughes tried to grab Tiernan's hair and gave it a good old yank as I described previously on another thread. He deserved a straight red and is the most guilty party in all of this.

crossfire

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 15, 2015, 10:04:23 PM
BTW I am sick of this being called a hair ruffle and Darren Hughes being described as an innocent party.

Hughes tried to grab Tiernan's hair and gave it a good old yank as I described previously on another thread. He deserved a straight red and is the most guilty party in all of this.

Give it up FFS

orangeman

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 15, 2015, 09:57:58 PM
http://www.todayfm.com/player/podcasts/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/38940/1/8_week_ban_for_tiernan_mccann_too_harsh

Well spoken wee Pete

Ewan McKenna reckons its rubbish there is a bias against Tyrone but then reckons that the 8 week ban is justified because of the Tyrone's previous record this year? Slight contradiction there Ewan!

His snide sniggering at the start is sickening, but it turns out he didnt even have the balls to stick to his guns when directly confronted by Canavan, as he cant even decide if he's for the ban or not by the end. Typical tabloid journalist, good at hyperbole/hysteria, but when faced with having to make a real decision, pretty useless.

He also talked about Tyrone pointing to the fact that other people have feigned injury and got away with it and that Mc Cann shouldn't be suspended in this instance - he uses the analogy of Tyrone having got caught robbing a bank and using the defence that others in the past have robbed banks and got off with it. Absolute rubbish - everyone knows what the punishment is for robbing banks. The gaa official guide has a sanction for feigning injury.

omaghjoe

Quote from: orangeman on August 15, 2015, 10:39:41 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 15, 2015, 09:57:58 PM

Well spoken wee Pete

He also talked about Tyrone pointing to the fact that other people have feigned injury and got away with it and that Mc Cann shouldn't be suspended in this instance - he uses the analogy of Tyrone having got caught robbing a bank and using the defence that others in the past have robbed banks and got off with it. Absolute rubbish - everyone knows what the punishment is for robbing banks. The gaa official guide has a sanction for feigning injury.

Yeah and if you want to take the analogy further. If someone robbed a bank and was know to the police, the PPS, the judge, and the jury as guilty would they be let off with it? And then, once it inevitably happened again, charge the new perpetrators with treason.

Both highlight his analogy as laughable and an attempt at more hyperbole.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 15, 2015, 10:38:28 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 15, 2015, 10:04:23 PM

Give it up FFS

Why because its actually what happened, but been swept under the carpet in this whole frenzy?

trueblue1234

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Bensars

omaghjoe

If yous look at the incident with a fresh pair of eyes you would see that Hughes went to grab his hair and tried to pull down with considerable force.
Why do you think he marched off without so much as a protest? He knew he deserved it!