Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 14, 2015, 11:37:49 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 14, 2015, 09:45:51 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 13, 2015, 10:50:44 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2015, 10:41:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 13, 2015, 10:32:41 PM
What McCann did was specifically covered by a rule. To say that this overall rule can be brought in any time we fancy it makes a mockery of the rule book.

It is entirely bizarre.

See my reply to Benny. The same applies in civil law. People are charged with the most serious offence. The DPP decides what law to prosecute under. Milosevic could have been charged with murder or genocide. McCann can be done for diving or discrediting the association. It's perfectly in order. The fact that it's rare doesn't mean it's wrong. In this case, letting this shite grow into the cancer it has was the error the Association made, not deciding to throw the book at McCann.

I'm off for a pint. I don't think I can add to what I've said, but if rrhf or Omadjoe want to continue the whinging I'll be here in the morning.

This is my favourite line from this thread so far. And someone accused Tyrone of having a lack of perspective.  ;D

It wasn't me that brought criminal law into the debate. It was Joe Brolly. I don't know how to point out my disagreement without reference to the criminal law.

So you decided upon the measured approach of comparing it to Milosevic's murder and genocide? We have officially lost the run of ourselves.

In fairness the analogy was pointing out that someone could be charged for a lesser crime or a more serious one. I tend to disagree, but I can see the difference between using an analogy to emphasise a point, for example 'one might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb', and losing perspective, 'he said he should be hung!'.

No one seriously thinks that he was comparing McCann's act to Milosevic's.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

What McCann did was specifically covered by a rule. To say that this overall rule can be brought in any time we fancy it makes a mockery of the rule book.

It is entirely bizarre.

See my reply to Benny. The same applies in civil law. People are charged with the most serious offence. The DPP decides what law to prosecute under. Milosevic could have been charged with murder or genocide. McCann can be done for diving or discrediting the association. It's perfectly in order. The fact that it's rare doesn't mean it's wrong. In this case, letting this shite grow into the cancer it has was the error the Association made, not deciding to throw the book at McCann.

I'm off for a pint. I don't think I can add to what I've said, but if rrhf or Omadjoe want to continue the whinging I'll be here in the morning.

This is my favourite line from this thread so far. And someone accused Tyrone of having a lack of perspective.  ;D

It wasn't me that brought criminal law into the debate. It was Joe Brolly. I don't know how to point out my disagreement without reference to the criminal law.

So you decided upon the measured approach of comparing it to Milosevic's murder and genocide? We have officially lost the run of ourselves.

That's right. I said McCann's dive is comparable to Milosevic's genocidal crimes. I must have. Otherwise a commentator like you, with a measured approach, who wouldn't lose the run of himself, surely wouldn't say I did?

BennyHarp

Quote from: muppet on August 14, 2015, 11:42:45 AM

It is entirely bizarre.

In fairness the analogy was pointing out that someone could be charged for a lesser crime or a more serious one. I tend to disagree, but I can see the difference between using an analogy to emphasise a point, for example 'one might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb', and losing perspective, 'he said he should be hung!'.

I didn't think he was. Just interesting that this was the analogy he used and just reflects the hyperbolic terminology that has surrounded this story this week. A flick through the many threads on here and some of the words used such as sc**bag, Cnut, the language used in TSG, reference to criminal law etc and now genocide, would make an outsider wonder what exactly this McCann fella did!
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 14, 2015, 11:59:29 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 14, 2015, 11:42:45 AM

It is entirely bizarre.

I didn't think he was. Just interesting that this was the analogy he used and just reflects the hyperbolic nonsense that has surrounded this story this week. A flick through the threads on here and some of the words used such as sc**bag, Cnut, the language used in TSG, reference to criminal law etc and now genocide, would make an outsider wonder what exactly this McCann fella did!

Anyone who used the words in bold needs their heads examined. It was a young fella who did something daft on the spur of the moment. We all have done that and thankfully there weren't cameras to catch it.

The language in TSG, I am not familiar with. I didn't see it but I can't in Ciarán Whelan or O'Rourke going too overboard on the language, a lá Brolly for example. But maybe they did.

As for the hyperbola, I made my point here. We use analogies to emphasise points all the time. Like I said, when people say 'might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb' the don't mean they think someone should be hung.
MWWSI 2017

headoftheroad

As I have said before there is a complete county setup who have clearly no integrity.
look this sanction is clearly going to fail but next year Tyrone have again forced the hand of the Gaa to bring new rules like the black card as they have a total disrespect for the rules.

Puckoon

Quote from: Bingo on August 14, 2015, 10:39:29 AM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/an-honest-post-mortem-will-see-monaghan-bounce-back-again-348142.html *

Good piece from Dick Clerkin here about dealing with the end of the inter county season and how it ends for different teams. He mightn't be finished just yet.

* - No children or Intercounty players where harmed in the writing of this piece.

If Monaghan happen to draw Tyrone in next year's Ulster Championship, do yourself a favour a take a spin to Clones, and bring your popcorn. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Sounds premeditated. 79 week ban.

rrhf

nrico2006

Quote from: headoftheroad on August 14, 2015, 01:53:47 PM
As I have said before there is a complete county setup who have clearly no integrity.
look this sanction is clearly going to fail but next year Tyrone have again forced the hand of the Gaa to bring new rules like the black card as they have a total disrespect for the rules.

What new rules have Tyrone forced the GAA to bring in?  As far as I am aware there is already a rule in place for what happened last weekend.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

headoftheroad

The BLACK CARD after Cavanagh fantastic tackle in the Aviva!!! oh sorry my mistake wrong stadium pull down in Croke Park.
And the punishment had he been caught do not fit the crime. Therefore when Congress meet next year you can bet the rule will change to more appropriate sanction MATCH BANS for cheating.

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: headoftheroad on August 14, 2015, 03:32:46 PM
The BLACK CARD after Cavanagh fantastic tackle in the Aviva!!! oh sorry my mistake wrong stadium pull down in Croke Park.
And the punishment had he been caught do not fit the crime. Therefore when Congress meet next year you can bet the rule will change to more appropriate sanction MATCH BANS for cheating.

How the frig did Sean Cavanagh's tackle bring about the black card... it was already passed because it was systematic throughout the game everywhere.. learn the facts.
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

redhandefender

That's us Tyrone ones for you, ground breakers, making the game better for you all!

nrico2006

But there is no need for anything to change as there is currently a rule in place to deal with this type of incident.

The GAA seems to be run pretty poorly, with the number of inconsistencies when it comes to punishments as well as people getting charged for offences that maybe they shouldn't have and others getting off with offences they should not have.  Also, why can they not once and for all update their rulebook to deal with all permutations that are out there - the majority of incidents that will crop up have happened before?  It's a bit of a joke that they brought in the black card rule yet left it so open, you would swear someone came up with it while sitting on the bog and didn't bother to discuss it at all. 

Refereeing and umpires are pretty poor in most games, and again in the Tyrone and Monaghan game the referee failed to deal with McCann properly.  This whole craic with the Sunday Game highlighting incidents and escalating them to extreme levels has been on the go for a while, but you would expect a bit more from the GAA than for them to bow down to all the furore.  Has the referee been sanctioned or dealt with for not carrying out his duties properly?  Darren Hughes (and his brother) are always up to something as well, the image of Kieran Hughes sticking his tongue out on Saturday was sickening as he knew exactly what he was at/had done.  What exactly was Darren Hughes trying to achieve from rubbing McCanns head?  McCann acted like a tube but I would imagine that Hughes was more than likely trying to wind McCann up and get him sent off.  Darren Hughes let his side down two years ago and again at the weekend.  Will any further action be taken against Paul Finlay for his antics? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

headoftheroad

Black Card better!!! Joke
If you would play as fluent as the Dubs or the Kingdom we wouldn't need these rules.
Your right however GROUND BREAKERS never bloody off it.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: headoftheroad on August 14, 2015, 03:55:16 PM
Black Card better!!! Joke
If you would play as fluent as the Dubs or the Kingdom we wouldn't need these rules.
Your right however GROUND BREAKERS never bloody off it.

If you would post in fluent English, it would help everyone on the board.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

headoftheroad

You Nordies get uptight about your Queen's English