Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2015, 10:18:38 PM
Quote from: rrhf on August 13, 2015, 10:17:14 PM
I just wish Joe Sheridan had shared your honourable values. 

More. misdirection. Whatabout, look at ... it's somebody else's fault.

The relevant point here is that Joe did nothing wrong.
It discredited the association meath 96 discredited the association to a level a serious discreditor could only dream of..

Hardy

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 13, 2015, 10:19:58 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2015, 10:09:20 PM
I meant to say, it's only unfair in the sense that others who did similar stunts (though not QUITE as bad) didn't get the same punishment. It's not unfair in any legal sense, so fire away, I say to the CCCC. We either want to stop this crap or we don't.

But that's ignoring why others were allowed to get away with it and this case wasn't.

Obviuously.

QuoteIf there's bias in selecting which cases to review, then that's a serious issue as well and calls the organisation into question.

Yes. A serious issue. But in my opinion not as serious as doing nothing after FOUR different episodes of this in the championship. Yes, we could have had a statement and a pious promise that we WOULD deal with it. Next year. Or next week.

This gets the attention of the cheats.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2015, 10:25:02 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 13, 2015, 10:16:07 PM
He got away with it because it was only covered by a yellow card in our rules at the time of the offence. That is the same reason why others were let away with it in the past.

It is unfair in that the rule book (the day he played that match) states that doing such would be a yellow card, yet he was given a totally different punishment.

More than one rule covers what he did. The rule book also states that discrediting the association carries a minimum penalty of eight weeks' suspension. Does anyone mintain that McCann's carry-on didn't discredit the association? (You wouldn't doubt it if you had to listed to soccer and rugby heads around here.)

So there's no huge violation of human rights here. And that's  by no means a 'bizarre' position. You could call it bizarre if it was alone-in-a thousand opinion. I'd say a few dozen on this board alone agree that if this works, it will be a good day's work.

Ffs, if we start over riding rules by saying people discredit the association then everyone will get 8 weeks ban. Every punch, kick, sledge, (or in Meaths case, stamps to the head) etc discredits the association. Are we now going to say that although a dive is deemed a yellow card offence and a punch or kick a red card offence (I.e. A lesser on field offence) it is however liable to a greater charge of discrediting the association at a whim or if there is a sufficient media furore?
That was never a square ball!!

Hardy

Quote from: rrhf on August 13, 2015, 10:28:05 PM

It discredited the association meath 96 discredited the association to a level a serious discreditor could only dream of..

Misdirection not working. Joe brought nothing but credit to the Association. Please don't mention him or the Meath team again on the same page as Tiernan McCann or Tyrone.

Whinge on somewhere else.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2015, 10:29:15 PM
I meant to say, it's only unfair in the sense that others who did similar stunts (though not QUITE as bad) didn't get the same punishment. It's not unfair in any legal sense, so fire away, I say to the CCCC. We either want to stop this crap or we don't.

But that's ignoring why others were allowed to get away with it and this case wasn't.

Obviuously.

QuoteIf there's bias in selecting which cases to review, then that's a serious issue as well and calls the organisation into question.

Yes. A serious issue. But in my opinion not as serious as doing nothing after FOUR different episodes of this in the championship. Yes, we could have had a statement and a pious promise that we WOULD deal with it. Next year. Or next week.

If that your line of thinking the HET would be called in for the crimes your lot perpetrated over the years 

Hardy

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 13, 2015, 10:32:24 PM
He got away with it because it was only covered by a yellow card in our rules at the time of the offence. That is the same reason why others were let away with it in the past.

It is unfair in that the rule book (the day he played that match) states that doing such would be a yellow card, yet he was given a totally different punishment.

More than one rule covers what he did. The rule book also states that discrediting the association carries a minimum penalty of eight weeks' suspension. Does anyone mintain that McCann's carry-on didn't discredit the association? (You wouldn't doubt it if you had to listed to soccer and rugby heads around here.)

So there's no huge violation of human rights here. And that's  by no means a 'bizarre' position. You could call it bizarre if it was alone-in-a thousand opinion. I'd say a few dozen on this board alone agree that if this works, it will be a good day's work.

Ffs, if we start over riding rules by saying people discredit the association then everyone will get 8 weeks ban. Every punch, kick, sledge, (or in Meaths case, stamps to the head) etc discredits the association. Are we now going to say that although a dive is deemed a yellow card offence and a punch or kick a red card offence (I.e. A lesser on field offence) it is however liable to a greater charge of discrediting the association at a whim or if there is a sufficient media furore?

No. I'm saying it always was. It's in the rules and was always a permissible option at the discretion of the CCCC.

trueblue1234

Obviuously.

Obviuously.

And opens the organisation to accusations of bias which in my eyes would be much worse. A dishonest player is bad, a biased organisation is much worse.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Hardy

Quote from: hardstation on August 13, 2015, 10:32:41 PM
What McCann did was specifically covered by a rule. To say that this overall rule can be brought in any time we fancy it makes a mockery of the rule book.

It is entirely bizarre.

See my reply to Benny. The same applies in civil law. People are charged with the most serious offence. The DPP decides what law to prosecute under. Milosevic could have been charged with murder or genocide. McCann can be done for diving or discrediting the association. It's perfectly in order. The fact that it's rare doesn't mean it's wrong. In this case, letting this shite grow into the cancer it has was the error the Association made, not deciding to throw the book at McCann.

I'm off for a pint. I don't think I can add to what I've said, but if rrhf or Omadjoe want to continue the whinging I'll be here in the morning.

Talks a good game

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 13, 2015, 10:33:19 PM

Obviuously.

If that your line of thinking the HET would be called in for the crimes your lot perpetrated over the years

I love the idea of the idea of the HET getting involved....Dawn raids to the homes of the 96 Meath team. Long over due if you ask me.

SkillfulBill

What discredits the association is RTE's vendetta against Tyrone by creating a media frenzy over incidents which Tyrone players get involved in while ignoring other county players who have similary offended. What discredits the association is that the major disciplinary body is prepared to bow to the same media frenzy by making the rules up as they go along and treating one player differently from another. What discredits the association is that the GAA allow a poor ref like Marty Duffy take charge of high profile games. Under the rules to fain injury is a yellow card offence. Untill the rule book passed by congress defines diving under a red card offence or as an example of discrediting the association then the answer is no he has not discredited the association. However i do think a charge against a few high profile members of the association who happen to be members of the Sunday game panel ahould be charged.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2015, 10:41:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 13, 2015, 10:32:41 PM
What McCann did was specifically covered by a rule. To say that this overall rule can be brought in any time we fancy it makes a mockery of the rule book.

It is entirely bizarre.

See my reply to Benny. The same applies in civil law. People are charged with the most serious offence. The DPP decides what law to prosecute under. Milosevic could have been charged with murder or genocide. McCann can be done for diving or discrediting the association. It's perfectly in order. The fact that it's rare doesn't mean it's wrong. In this case, letting this shite grow into the cancer it has was the error the Association made, not deciding to throw the book at McCann.

I'm off for a pint. I don't think I can add to what I've said, but if rrhf or Omadjoe want to continue the whinging I'll be here in the morning.

This is my favourite line from this thread so far. And someone accused Tyrone of having a lack of perspective.  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

Talks a good game

Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2015, 10:32:59 PM
Quote from: rrhf on August 13, 2015, 10:28:05 PM

Misdirection not working. Joe brought nothing but credit to the Association. Please don't mention him or the Meath team again on the same page as Tiernan McCann or Tyrone.

Whinge on somewhere else.

Misdirection you might say, but if only Tiernan McCann had been able to delay his fall for a few seconds and then fall theatrically back. He might just have been able to close to matching the legend that is Aidan O'Mahony. Never get tired of watching this clip....I doubt it will ever be surpassed in our lifetime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHuU3EdJ1NQ

Disillusioned

Look, its all tactics:

1. Diving is not ingrained in football and two Ulster teams showed themselves up last week and allow hysteria to be whipped by all and sundry.

2. CCCC impose a ban on McCann.

3. Tyrone appeal the suspension and win, McCann plays in semi final.

4. Continued weeping and gnashing of teeth as well as quite a bit of handwringing.

5. Special Congress is given a new rule change for immediate implementation to save football and everyone rows in behind it.

6. Red or black card introduced for feigning injury or diving.

7. Referees do not implement the change but give out yellow cards instead!
The global warming scenario is pretty grim. I'm not sure I like the idea of polar bears under a palm